Spectra V3i Prospecting Scan And Alluvial Scan Modes

I love my V3i for park jewelry detecting but it has never seen the goldfields and never will. I've got machines that are better suited for the task and frankly I don't want to beat the V3i up. :smile: I had a friend with one that did well however, in mild ground, and he simply used the stock prospecting program and knocked the sensitivity up.

The V3i does not have the best ground balance system for bad ground but is fine in mild to moderate ground. Carl Moreland was lead engineer pushing the V3i out the door at White's and here is what he had to say:

“The problem with the V3 GB has to do with the fundamentals of the MF design approach. It's a flawed system, and adding a third frequency really shined a light on the flaws. There was nothing more that could be done, short of scrapping the hardware and starting over. That was to be the V4.”

So in bad ground track then lock, and use the GB offset as a manual ground balance. From some notes on the DFX and V3i and gold:

"The V3i actually has no true Manual ground balance mode. The best you can do is track and lock, as on the MXT. However, the V3i "Live Controls" can be set up to give the operator direct access to a ground balance offset that can tweak the "locked" setting up or down."

An Aussie Comments on V3i in Australia

Personally I find the Alluvial Trace mode to be more a gimmick than anything, but that's just me.

Steve's Review White's V3i

• Like 1