The Devil’s Tongue Hand Digger Review

Kac ( Ken) was asking if anyone on the forum would like to give his new digger the Devil’s Tongue a try . The Devil has you will see comes with a different handle than most diggers you see .

I don’t know how many others said they would give it a try but I had one within a week of my request. It was mine to keep no matter how my review of it went .

I had planned on having my testing complete over a month ago . But due that my wife had too have a complete right shoulder replacement sooner than we plan cause the testing being put on the back burner.

This digger cutting blade is somewhat like others you see but the first thing I like was the teeth were smaller. I know you’re saying so what. I’ve had trouble when the teeth and space between them is bigger. I found that roots will get hung up in the larger ones and then you have trouble freeing it. 

On the second picture you will find that the Devil Digger has a handle that you won’t find on others . That’s the one thing that makes this digger unique plus it’s set at a angle. This has to be a first I’ve ever seen.

Looking over the Devil Digger I could see it was well made and you didn’t have to worry about it coming apart on you. I’ve done lots of welding over the years so I know great welding when I see it .

I’ve now been out several times this month putting this digger to the test . The main ground I’ve been detecting in has about the first three inches of black dirt but below that is more like pack gravel.

The two city lots had some carpet grass and that gave the Devil Digger adding testing with its cutting teeth. Being the handle was different I had to have my own one person class on using it .

You can see this on my third picture posted.

I made a point to use only this digger to be fair to it . I found it to do great cutting a plug in the grass covered area and plowing through that hard black dirt . The only trouble I had was when I hit that pack gravel below the dirt . I can’t say that digger was at fault because I have weak wrists. I do think it would help me if the tip was like the other digger on the first picture.

One thing I don’t want to leave off and the Devil Digger is the lightest digger I’ve ever used .

I don’t see where you can go wrong buying the Devil Digger. It’s a lot like a new detector you have to get to know it and you will find it will work for you.

Chuck 

2B783C36-DC87-4DAC-BA8A-766DC01A6966.jpeg

E9233BDD-CB40-4CB1-91A4-8F8FE203D3C6.jpeg

E42BB3F0-4265-4A32-AE10-69069009F986.jpeg

• Like 6

I like the looks of that.. Good cross between a Lesche hand tool and a full on mini shovel like the Sampson. Would be perfect for me as some places the Lesche is not enough, and the Samson is just too conspicuous., good objective review too.. where might one obtain one of these?

Have a great weekend

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind review. My welds are adequate and for now was just for the initial field testing. Final product will be tig welded so there is less cleanup and look prettier. 4130 is really tricky to weld with a stick.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I do think it would help me if the tip was like the other digger on the first picture.

kac, any chance of modifying the tip?  I think Chuck is right on his conclusion that in packed gravel and packed crushed limestone the narrower angled tip is going to be superior.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kac said:

4130 is really tricky to weld with a stick.

Since 4130 is heat treated how do you retreat the metal again?

I ask this because once the heat treatment is removed by welding the metal it should be hardened again for strength.

I would like to get one of those and am asking to find out if it is going to hold up.

Heat treating should be done last as once it is heated again you lose the temper and can't get it back. I cold form the parts from annealed and normalized. stock so it is easy to work with, then weld then heat treat. For the tip shape this model is intended for groomed grass. The spade point makes it easier to pop out the plug or cut a flap with fewest passes. spade point makes it easier to scoop the dirt out. Something I found the bayonet style a little annoying to do.

I am working on a larger model for field and relic which will have a narrower blade, etc.

I'm just waiting on the pat office to finish up and hopefully there won't be any silly gov shutdowns to slow the works so were talking Jan/Feb. For orders outside USA I think Amazon can handle that the easiest. For USA sales I hope to find a dealer.

• Like 4