Well....side tracked again.....expect another delay.

What can I say.

HH
Mike

Hey Mike

If nothing else you prompted me into pulling mine out from long term storage (under the bed) putting in batteries and firing it up for a few minutes.  Batteries are now out and 8500 back in storage  I remember all the flack about the audio.  Guess I can get used to anything because I had no problem with it.

Tom

• Like 1

I still have the 8000 and the 8500 in my arsenal and enjoy using them both, depending on the situation. I mainly old coin hunt, however, and do like the tones of the 8000 better then of the 8500. I find, though, the 8500 is a bit deeper. Good luck with your quest, Mike. HH jim tn

• 5 months later...

I'm back in the black...finally....hope to have it in hand next week.

HH

Mike

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm back in the black...finally....hope to have it in hand next week.

Look forward to your finds -- I assume you'll give it a test drive pretty quickly?

I bought a Tek Gamma model (same 'Greek' family) and gave it to a relative.  But I did stipulate "when I come visit and don't bring a detector, you have to share."  😄  I noticed on (only) one occasion it picked up EMI, I think from power lines.  Have you (plural) dealt with that, and if so, how did you overcome it?  I recall I had to turn down the gain/sensitivity to somewhere between 50 and 60 to quiet it down.  I think I was operating with the elliptical concentric.

Thanks GB_Amateur.

Sensitivity consists of two components, Gain and Threshold.  For instance the F75 has two gain settings 0  and 30.  Settings are 1 to 29 are threshold settings for the low gain setting.   Settings 31 to 99 are threshold settings for the high gain setting.

The Omega also has the two components....only different:   0 to 70 are gain settings, with 70 as max gain...all nice and linear....settings above 70 are threshold settings.  If your site lets you get your Gain to the max gain at 70, then you can try and adjusting the threshold settings.  Think of settings above 70 as hypergain settings.   Sometimes you can get a good quiet location and really get the threshold up.  Most places, settings above 70 are going to be considered "working into the noise".  

For EMI control the 8500 has the two Deep settings (2 & 3) that include 60 and 50 kHz filters plus a small 3 selection frequency shift.  Sometimes you have to add a little disc or notch/notch volume control if you can isolate it to a general phase range.

Deep 0 can be useful too...only you start out a bit handicapped in the depth area at the onsite if you have to go there but it can perform in high EMI sites.

Another way to circumvent bad EMI is to use a lower gain setting with the D5 audio.  D5 audio is full bore unsaturated audio.  Only downside is its full bore audio for everything in the receiver.....but if you have to run really low gain settings, full bore audio can make up for some of the depth loss.

The 8500 feature set is pretty good.  

HH
Mike

• Like 3

Thanks for the detailed response, Mike.  In the case of the Tek Gamma, it appears it has considerably fewer settings/options than its big brother (Omega).  In regards to the F75, you've mentioned the gain and threshold relationships before.  It's good to see it again.  I may be wrong but it seems to me this is something that wasn't widely publicized/explained in official literature.  And detectorprospector.com came along a few years after its introduction so the kinds of (deep) discussions we get into around here for the "latest, greatest detectors to possess" either never made it here or occurred in threads created earlier than those I started reading.  Glad you're around to assist in my knowledge of these (increasingly) less popular detectors.

• Like 2

Got my Teknetics Omega 8500 Pro Pack yesterday from metaldetectors.com.   This is my first dealings with them.

1:  The Omega 8500 Pro Pack is a factory assembled package.  I had originally thought the pro pack would be a like a Kellyco deal where the dealer would open the box and chunk all the extras in and reseal and ship but its not.  The 8500 Pro Pack is fully factory packed with everything in its place in the box.   I really enjoyed unboxing it:

• Omega 8500 with 11" Biaxial coil
  • 4" concentric coil.
  • Rain cover
  • TekPoint pulse pinpointer with holster  
  • Arm strap

metaldetectors.com included extras are:

• 1 Year Location Membership with ring finders. ( I don't know what this is)
  • 30 day free digital Western and Eastern Magazine subscription.

2:  The date codes on the detector and the included Tek-point were all June of 2020;  They are the latest production runs. This was the primary fear I had as my Gold Kruzer purchase fiasco had left me skittish, that the Pro package deal would be used to move old stock/returned stock but that was not the case.   Everything was the latest greatest production run which is what I wanted.

All for the low price of $389 shipped.  

I am extremely pleased with my purchase from metaldetectors.com

HH
Mike

• Like 4

Thats a really good price, 2 coils and the pule pp for $389!

• Like 1