Sign in to follow this  
calabash digger

Game Of Odds Part 1..

I can confirm this flaw with the AT Pro is also in the Ace 350.  It sucks the AT Pro isn't deep though as my Ace 350 could hit those 11" coins with it's Tornado coil in my soils.  Not saying you're wrong or anything I completely agree with you and the Ace is a very different frequency to the AT. I have found a small silver NZ threepence coin DEEP with the Ace that the Equinox didn't see, default Park 1 with sensitivity 24.  Blind to it.  Ace hit it fine one notch off maximum sensitivity. I know the Nox has settings I could adjust and eventually tweak it to find it, I don't care about that, I use Park 1 sensitivity 24 🙂

I can't explain that but I guess the secret sauce was the Tornado vs the stock 11" Equinox coil, maybe if I put the 15x12" on it'd be a different story, it was just a one off too, as far as I know 🙂

I guess people shouldn't expect a decade or more old detector to complete with the Equinox, if technology hadn't improved in that amount of time the detecting industry would be in a pretty sad state.

Love affairs with a brand is very counter productive.   You want to swing the detector that has the most chance of giving you good finds, the thing about metal detecting though is you never know what you've missed.... somebody else does 🙂

Resale value on some of these detectors has likely hit rock bottom now though so a bit late to consider offloading an AT Pro.

I've seen videos like this before and people say yes but if you swung this speed or this angle you would hit it fine.... you don't choose the angle you walk over a coin in the field, a miss is a miss, if it doesn't hit it in every direction at your average sweep speed, it's an issue.  My T2 ID's incorrectly on a lot of targets until you're hitting them the right direction but it's still hitting them.  The Equinox on the other hand more often than not the ID is reasonable no matter what direction, I don't feel the need to circle my targets like I do on the T2.

I can't wait to see the Vanquish comparison videos, especially against the Nox,  and from what I've seen it looks like they've fixed the pinpoint flaw the Equinox has on the Vanquish, I may use it a lot more than I think for Coin hunting as sometimes I feel like throwing my Equinox in a tree due to that bug.

• Like 4

Ahh I had the targets on the same plane. I did another test, toss a rusty square nail on a 4 1/2 sponge with a dime 4" away below and yes the iron drags the numbers down too far so if there is any disc on the iron I lose the dime. this also happens with my little concentric on the Tejon.

If I use zero mode I hear both targets one with that miserable iron grunt and a mid tone, enough of a tone I would investigate.

Iron nails disc out at 29-32 on the ATP here. Larger the nail more masking happens.

Have you tested the Multi Kruzer against the Nox and others? To me the MK looks like a sleeper machine. I know everyone raves about the Amphibio but that does a bit better as it has a bigger stock coil.

• Like 1

Calabash digger. Perfect example. Owned the Nox 800 for a year. Revisiting my old sites with it. AT Pro missing some confederate Gardners at 9-10 inches. I still haven’t mastered it. Up here in Kentucky it’s mineralized a lot. vapordxt@yahoo.com. Contact me. I have a few questions for you. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Some people say the Equinox should outperform the AT since it costs more. I look forward to your AT versus Vanquish tests. :smile:

You know that is going to happen! 

14 hours ago, kac said:

Ahh I had the targets on the same plane. I did another test, toss a rusty square nail on a 4 1/2 sponge with a dime 4" away below and yes the iron drags the numbers down too far so if there is any disc on the iron I lose the dime. this also happens with my little concentric on the Tejon.

If I use zero mode I hear both targets one with that miserable iron grunt and a mid tone, enough of a tone I would investigate.

Iron nails disc out at 29-32 on the ATP here. Larger the nail more masking happens.

Have you tested the Multi Kruzer against the Nox and others? To me the MK looks like a sleeper machine. I know everyone raves about the Amphibio but that does a bit better as it has a bigger stock coil.

That is where a Deus and a Equinox have a leg up on a Tesoro.. Elevated iron above a non ferrous. A concentric coil on a Tesoro will smoke a dd on a same plane nail test. I will give up a little on the  same plane iron to have that see thru on the 3d iron. Seems to me iron is more likely to be 3D on a real relic site... I have not tested the multi kruzer.

The Gold Kruzer has that 3d nail coin hit like the Orx and Equinox. I don't know if the Multi Kruzer can do it.

• Like 1

Did a test with all my coils on the 2 different machines and using 3 different square nails, small, med and large and results where the same.

Tesoro Tejon with stock 8x9 concentric failed, BUT if on the same level will see past the iron and dime picks up clear.

Tejon with 10x12 widescan dd passed and I could hear the dime without a hitch.

ATP with stock DD coil is as you show and recovery isn't fast enough. I can hear 2 targets clear enough to be dig-able in zero mode. If I use any iron discrimination I lose the dime completely.

Lastly with the ATP and the Nel Pig coil I could clearly hear my bandsaw stand, steel garage door, freezer chest and all the rest of the noise in my basement so I will have to suspend that test further on a better day as it is raining here. I suspect it would do the same as the stock coil.

If your using an ATP just run the machine in zero mode. I always dig suspect targets and sweep the area after just to see if there is something else. Sometimes there are spills and fringe targets that were on edge after pulling a larger object or a piece of trash.

That is a really good test on machines. Wonder if you could make a chart with peoples results and different machines and coil combos.