Sea Hunter Vs Equinox

I just gave my seahunter a run with the 10x14 coil and used it all day. There is tons of iron and hot rocks. The larger coil really makes the machine a killer. Incredible depth and putting the control box on the back under the arm rest it balanced out nicely. We have a good amount of black sand here and found running a vlf in the wet was pretty much a no go. 2 friends joined me with their Nox 800s and depth wise its a no brainer. Nox's did run quiet for them but depth not impressive. They did however do better than another guy running an xcal who dug up some trash and missed a couple quarters next to it. Guess that was a swing and a miss for him.

For beach combing the larger coil is a must. If you already own the SeaHunter the smaller coil and shorty shaft might be the way to go when snorkeling. If there is too much trash then for a bit more money I would look at the Nox 800.

Where I have been hitting it has some old stuff there but also old nails, bolts etc etc etc. So much iron it masks out everything so no matter what machine I run I sort of need to dig it all anyways. Other beach areas are pretty clean and smooth sailing.

Really depends on trash levels in your area.

• Like 3

Never realised you could get other coils for the unit. If I hunt at my local beach...trasharama.....old working port but surf coasts are pretty good. Think half my problem is getting carried away with all these videos and forums showcasing all these new, shiny whizzbang machines. Hard to resist  especially with the magic word "sale" tacked onto them 🙂

• Like 1

I own both and can fairly accurately comment on both.

Essentially the depth of the 2 in salt water is similar with the sea hunter probably having the advantage but the sea hunter WILL feel a lot deeper because it’s a lot harder to pinpoint with than the equinox, this is due to close/shallow targets hitting on the rim of the coil hardest rather than the centre of the coil... it makes things slow but you can probably learn to get faster. Fast recovery is key to more finds.

The Equinox WILL leak, it’s really truly is not designed for frequent water use... I’m on my third one due to leaks while the sea hunter is well designed for water hunting.

• Like 1

The sand here really restricts depth on vlf's and I can hear a penny at 12 nice and loud on my SH with 8" coil. The 10x12 is picking up targets much deeper. Pin pointing the target I use the rim and hit from a couple of angles. Pin pointing takes some getting used to on a mono coil vs others and does take some practice.

I could hear targets today that my friends Nox's didn't even blip on so yes PI does go deeper. All that is meaningless if your snorkeling unless you can really hold your breath for a while. Mada if you already own the SH just toss the short shaft on it and try it snorkeling. No money spent and may fit your purpose.

10 minutes ago, kac said:

The sand here really restricts depth on vlf's and I can hear a penny at 12 nice and loud on my SH with 8" coil. The 10x12 is picking up targets much deeper. Pin pointing the target I use the rim and hit from a couple of angles. Pin pointing takes some getting used to on a mono coil vs others and does take some practice.

I could hear targets today that my friends Nox's didn't even blip on so yes PI does go deeper. All that is meaningless if your snorkeling unless you can really hold your breath for a while. Mada if you already own the SH just toss the short shaft on it and try it snorkeling. No money spent and may fit your purpose.

I honestly can not imagine a sea hunter hitting a US penny at 12”  but if it is at all possible I’d be extremely grateful if there is a video testing this?

Was a zinc penny in the wash which was damp and soft. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Sorry I don't pack a camera with me, I should. I have a small water proof camera but taking 4 hours of footage of me pulling nails and junk probably isn't very entertaining. I'll pack it with me next time I head out.