Minelab Vanquish 440/540 Internal Photos, Etc.

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Also interesting with the search modes, how Coin mode is parks and beaches.

2051267514_Searchmodes.jpg.4fd4eed6db5b89b50c20f8aa54fa7a28.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the Target ID's, they go from -9 to 40, I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to learn another whole lot of numbers for each coin!

Simon,

Mike Hillis pointed this out to me.  The only real difference between modes are the tone settings, discrimination breakpoints, and an internally selected (i.e., not user selectable other than the mode you select) mode specific recovery speed setting.  In other words, it is like having your Equinox locked into a single Multi IQ profile (e.g., Park 1), with the only differentiation between modes being the discrimination breakpoints and recovery speed.  Hence, no dedicated beach mode.  Notice how the mode names are target focused (coin, relic, jewelry) on the Vanquish  rather than site focused (park, field, beach) as on the Equinox?  ML is eally trying to keep it simple in BOTH operation and capability.  Another way to look at it is it is like a Multi IQ version of a single frequency machine (e.g., single frequency Simplex) vs. the Equinox being the multiple selectable frequency Anfibio.  In other words their is a wider capabilty gulf between even the V540 and the Equinox 600 than I was originally anticipating.  Regardless, even if my Equinox was locked in Park 1 mode for perpetuity, and I had settings limitations similar to the Vanquish, I could STILL do some damage at the parks, fields and beaches.  The inexperienced or budget minded detectorist will still be be well equipoed with Vanquish, but already owning the Equinox, the Vanquish with all it's handcuffs holds zero interest for me, despite the coil selection.  Simplex is my choice of these two capable budget machines which might not have been the case if I already owned an Anfibio or Multi Kruzer.

The single Multi IQ profile "hint" is sort of more obviously "implied" in the Vanquish user guide mode descriptions.

SmartSelect_20191124-065043_Drive.jpg

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Oh yea, they make a fortune selling detectors, I am betting the GPZ circuit board costs about $40 to make, $80 including the screen and so on, that detector has to be one of the highest profit devices made in the world 🙂 Even the Chinese are making a massive profit on their $800 fakes of it, including free worldwide shipping.

We really are suckers 😀

Honestly I'm surprised nobody has build a raspberry pi based open source knockoff self build, just for the challenge and being able to say "yeah, I built that". Up for a challenge Simon? I double dog dare you!

1 hour ago, Lacky said:

Honestly I'm surprised nobody has build a raspberry pi based open source knockoff self build, just for the challenge and being able to say "yeah, I built that". Up for a challenge Simon? I double dog dare you!

People ARE doing that, check this site out for plenty of DIY detector build info.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I guess they had to set it at a price point they had a hope of making a good return on the investment, the price does hinder sales though

Not really, everyone I know has a GPZ. They sell truckloads in Africa and elsewhere. People that make money finding gold do not sweat high detector prices as much as the coin hunting crowd. Gold is where the real profits are for Minelab worldwide.

codan-fy18-global-sales-map.jpg
Codan FY18 Global Sales

6 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

People ARE doing that, check this site out for plenty of DIY detector build info.

Sweet, I'll spend hours checking that out, and likely never build anything. The knowing and learning is usually as far as I go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

A cursory search on the ARM Cortex-M7 STM32F7 seems to indicate it's a $5 single core 200Mhz CPU.

I wonder why they didn't tap into a higher core unit with higher operating range. "For a few dollars more" Come to think of it, if they spent $5 more dollars per processor then they would raise consumer price by $100.