Detector Advice

Hi all,
I need some help. I want to buy a detector. But my budget is limited(say i can buy a garret 400i or a fisher gold bug 2). 
For me the depth is important after that iron discriminatin comes. I wil use it for gold prospecting(!check the picure, with gold what i mean). The depth is around 3 or 4 feet. Can you give me some advises for getting a detector? What kind of detector can detect this kind of treasure?
Thank you very much.

198413.jpg

• The title was changed to Detector Advice

'ukaradag' said:  I need some help. I want to buy a detector. But my budget is limited (say i can buy a garret 400i or a fisher gold bug 2).

I'd suggest you forget investing in a lower quality or inferior performing detector for such a special-purpose and challenging goal you have.  You might be better served by investing in a better quality, mid to upper-end model in the used detector market, if your funds are limited.  For your goal, and considering a popular or conventional model in the VLF operating frequency range, you would be best served by having a detector with a true, Threshold-based All Metal mode and especially one with manual Ground Balance.  You will also have to invest in a larger-size search coil more capable of attaining the detection depths you speak of.   This might put a reasonable detector 'package' above your "limited budget" amount.

'ukaradag' said:  For me the depth is important after that iron discriminatin comes.

The real importance is having a good idea of the size and shape of an accumulated mass and description of the individual target size  as well as alloy content of the individual targets, and maybe a documented location and depth of the cache you are looking for.  Also, it is really better if you have some knowledge or documentation of the hidden wealth and know if it is in some type of container AND just what type of material the container is made of.

You mention the 2nd thing of importance is "iron discrimination."  Why is that?  It suggests to me that the cache of gold coins you are looking for have been hidden inside some sort of iron container.  If so, THAT CAN BE A GOOD THING!    Iron (a ferrous object) has a greater effect on an Electro-Magnetic Field that a comparable-size non-ferrous object.

If the desired objects you are looking for have been hidden in an iron container, you do NOT want to use any Discrimination that could have a negative impact on performance, and you DO want to use a search mode that would be more responsive to such an object.  Keep in mind that if the gold coins are inside any type of enclosed metal container, you are not going to detect the coins.  Instead, you want to be looking for the container.

'ukaradag' said: I wil use it for gold prospecting (!check the picure, with gold what i mean). The depth is around 3 or 4 feet. Can you give me some advises for getting a detector?

You are looking for minted or processed gold and not raw, native gold, and it is in an accumulation.  That is not 'gold prospecting' but in the category of Cache Hunting.  The key comment here that would interest me is knowing the depth.  If it was passed down in conversation, or was it written down to be more accurate?  I started metal detecting in 1965 and took on my first Cache Hunt by early '69.  Through the following decades I have been contracted quite a few times to search for hidden caches, and in most of those cases the 'depth of detection' was not the same as the individuals had suggested.  Most often it was less (shallower) and that made the target more easily detectable.

'ukaradag' said:  What kind of detector can detect this kind of treasure?

My first search by '69 was with a BFO using a large search coil as ground cancelling VLF detectors had not been made, yet, for the recreational or hobby-end market.  Since '75 my contract searches have been handled using a VLF detector, almost always using a Threshold-based All metal mode, and with a detector operating in the 5 kHz to 15 kHz range.  Search coils I most often used ranged from a round-shaped 9½" diameter to just a little over 15" diameter.  The largest measured over 16".

Also, when I was told that these various cached objects were hidden at a depth of 3 feet to 5 feet, they were very wrong.  The largest hole was dug to about a 30" to 36" depth, and that's 2½ feet to 3 feet.  Most were a bit shallower.  And that was the depth to the bottom of the hole.  The hidden container's BOTTOM was that deep, but the rest of the container and top of the container was naturally much shallower.

Monte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Monte said:

"'ukaradag' said:  I need some help. I want to buy a detector. But my budget is limited (say i can buy a garret 400i or a fisher gold bug 2).

I'd suggest you forget investing in a lower quality or inferior performing detector for such a special-purpose and challenging goal you have.  You might be better served by investing in a better quality, ...

Monte"

@Monte I revere with my respect. Thank you .

Hi Monte,
I really thank you.

I am going to cache hunting(looking for hidden treasure) and I am looking for minted or processed gold. I am not sure about the depth, it might be that deep(3,5"). For iron discrimination, I do not want to deal with nails. Most probably, the treasure is hidden in an earthenware. If you were me, what kind of detector would you buy? Thanks.
Ulas

Hi Steve,
GPX 5000 is too expensive for me. For Fisher and TM-808, I could not find on any web site(safe one), the others may sell fake one(not reliable sites).
What about The Garrett GTI 2500 metal detector?
Thank you.