Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky

General Questions About The Nox And Setups

I’m in Kentucky. Highly mineralized ground. Full of square nails and horseshoes. What is everyones go to to hide the iron. I feel like I can’t get it to lock on? Why 50 tones over 5? Coming from at pro. Numbers have me messed up as I tried to pay attention to both Vdi and tone. I mainly hunt fields and some house sites. If u were to choose one setup from top to bottom what would it be. Deepest I’ve dug a bullets is 10 inches with the nox. Beach settings. For the future. Lol? 

• Like 2

If you are starting out stay simple. Jumping into 50 tones or anything you are not comfortable with will just make your life harder. Why 50 tones? More audio information for those that hunt by ear. More information overload for those that may not need it. If all you want to do is dig non-ferrous there is nothing wrong with two tones.

I am a proponent of the default stock modes for beginners. Beach detecting? Beach 1 for dry beach, Beach 2 for water. Adjust sensitivity as high as is possible while keeping the detector stable.

For hunting iron make sure you have the latest update so you can access the new Iron Bias 'F2' settings, which have an improved capability to reject a much wider range of difficult iron targets, including bottle caps. I prefer Park 1. Use the defaults and lower sensitivity and adjust the F2 setting to get the degree of quietness on iron you prefer. There is no numbers for settings I can give you as I adjust differently for every situation I am in. I adjust to get the machine to act like I want depending where I am and the settings just end up wherever they need to be to make that happen.

• Like 3

I’ve been running 5 tones for a good while. Park 2. I still keep digging nails. Nails all the way around the target. When did that new update come about F2 bias?

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There is no numbers for settings I can give you as I adjust differently for every situation I am in.

Steve,

You are so right with that statement. I have hunted in a park just 7 miles down the road and have had great luck with factory settings.

I then go to my back yard and have to adjust the 800 on several settings just to find pennies.

I then go 3 blocks away and it too is a different setting all together.

I have read more in the forum just to understand the 800 and have learned a lot from the topics here.

When I get another chance I will be back out there swinging my 800 because it is mad at me right now. It thinks we have to go even if it rains or is freezing.

Good luck with your new 800 and take your time to learn what it will do. Practice in your own back yard if it means cleaning out all the trash, because you will know your unit a lot better.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, Kentucky said:

I’m in Kentucky. Highly mineralized ground. Full of square nails and horseshoes. What is everyones go to to hide the iron. I feel like I can’t get it to lock on?

I don't have much experience with horseshoes as I've only encountered a few.  Large targets close to the surface reveal themselves by the longer (not sharp) drawn-out tones, and especially in pinpoint mode.  Deep targets get sharper (and quieter) and are thus more difficult to reject as they sound more like desirable small targets.  Nails on the other hand -- every old site I've ever been to has those, and typically a lot of them.  Square nails in particular seem to be problematic for most everyone, regardless of detector being used.  Bent modern (that is, round cross section) nails can also be an issue.  Another problem nail is the roofing nail because its head gives a 22-23 signal on the Eqx.  Depending upon its orientiation you may not get any iron grunt, and even under best orientation you are going to get both and have to decide if it's a roofing nail or a desirable target very close to a nail.  Even modern nails with small heads that aren't bent will sound good if they are oriented very close to vertical.  (Try an air test with one oriented parallel to the coil axis = perpendicular to the coil plane.)

Iron bias setting, recovery speed setting, and even cross checking in certain single frequency modes will probably help some.  IMO you are going to have to put in the hours with the Equinox, listening carefully to the tones and digging a lot of junk targets to tune your brain on what to listen for.  Even then you likely never will be 100% sure of the dig / no dig decision in the more difficult situations.  The perfect discriminating metal detector doesn't exist.  The only detectorists who never dig any nails are either in sites where none exist or are leaving good targets in the ground.

• Like 3

The highly mineralized soil part of your equation is going to make this tougher on you VS someone else that is just wanting to eliminate iron.  Any detector has trouble dividing the ground minerals from iron and then again to divide the iron from non iron...particularly in ground where the mineralization IS a form of iron ore.  What typically happens is that the non iron targets will start to "read" as iron on most machines, or at least the ID is dragged down into the iron range (or up, depending on how you look at the iron scale). 

Now, for nails and such...that is hard to say too.  It depends on what metal the nails are made of to start with, and what degree of decompose they are in.  I have been in several sites and encountered nails that MUST have had some kind of copperish metal applied to them or something, because they read well on most any machine.  

I agree with Steve though...play around with the newer iron bias settings.  You can set it aggressive and that will cut out a lot of the iron falses but you will also lose some depth.  I tend to go the opposite direction and try to find a good balance of depth but not to the point that I start getting into a lot of iron that fools me.  That number will vary so it does take some experimenting while out in the field.  I can set my Equinox up in the test garden and especially with the new FE adjustments, can make it sound off perfectly on a 12 inch minie ball.  The original iron bias settings couldn't make it do that...it was a mixed signal, mostly iron sounding.  The catch to that is, that a lot of the deeper iron will also now start to make a good tone at that setting.  

• Like 3

On 11/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Another problem nail is the roofing nail because its head gives a 22-23 signal on the Eqx.  Depending upon its orientiation you may not get any iron grunt, and even under best orientation you are going to get both and have to decide if it's a roofing nail or a desirable target very close to a nail. 

I realized this recently, and it's super annoying. I have noticed that they tend to give a double tone, whereas good targets usually give a single tone.

Most roofing nails are zinc plated and are a pain no matter the detector involved. Lots of fun around some old tar paper shacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

I agree with Steve though...play around with the newer iron bias settings.  You can set it aggressive and that will cut out a lot of the iron falses but you will also lose some depth.

I didn't realise the F2 setting would make me lose depth but it may explain my issue.  When I use F2 even at the default F2 setting I've noticed the deep little silver coins I find disappear completely... undetectable, switch back out of F2 and they return.  I thought F2 was maybe blocking them out somehow but maybe it's just the depth decreasing.  Thanks for that information.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By RobNC
      Ok.. I've encountered some really tough ground conditions in a lot of areas that I hunt regularly. We are talking the red dirt with little shiny particles all in it that also has iron mixed in.  My Teknetics T2 struggles in it. My ORX struggles but will fish things out if you can stand the machine gun blips. I keep reading that the Equinox is more suited to deal with this. Now, I tried an Equinox 600 and found it to also cut up on certain plots of land, and the particular one I had was really horrible in iron. The tones also played tricks on my ears and I found the bleepity bling like sounds to confuse my caveman brain. The ORX has been a decent detector for me, and helped me rehabilitate myself after a car accident this year. However the tones in it are so close together that my ears can not often discriminate high from mid tone. There is no way to adjust it.
      Let's fast forward to today. The Equinox 600 does not have the adjustability of the 800 concerning tones, or at least that is my understanding. I walked away from my Equinox 600 ticked off that I could not seemingly bond with it. In my mind there was a single thought - how much better would the 800 be? For those of you that have especially used the XP ORX or the Teknetics T2 and also used an Equinox 800 I'm asking you, does the Equinox 800 do better in contaminated soil than my current 2? It is possible I will trade the XP ORX towards the EQ800. Would that be a "step-up" in capabilities? I've always found this forum and the people here honest and fair with no BS. So I ask you, would it be worth the extra money, hassle and such to truly give the Equinox 800 a chance even though I had a 600 and it didn't quite suit me. It is entirely possible the 600 I had may have had a fault of some type for all I know. And what of depth with the EQ800 vs the XP ORX?
      Reaching out to everyone in the know.
    • By Happa54
      Has anyone increased their 50 tone pitch from its default setting of 20 to max of 25?
      I want to receive the highest pitch that I can to closely resemble the sounds of the FBS machines, etrac, explorer, safari. I don’t quite get those flutey FBS sounds I would like to hear but the adjustment is as good as it’s going to get, I think. I’m assuming this shouldn’t change anything in areas of performance, because all I’m doing is simply increasing the audio pitch up and down the TID scale. Or is there something else to this once you go off of default settings?   
      I thought I’d put this scenario out here to hear feedback from those who are hunting 50 tones set at a higher pitch opposed to its default setting of 20.
      I appreciate your feedback.
    • By nordic
      Hi All,
      First post, please do not judge... Question to more experienced EQ 800 users. I have been detecting for over half a year now, got piles of questions I can't seem to find a definitive answers, so decided to register and ask instead. I also want to highlight I'm interested in all relics, not just coins. Thanks in advance.
      Long story short, I have 2 things to ask about, these are sitting for quite a while in my head and can't seem to figure it out. First and probably most asked is the firmware version. I have tried all 3 versions (with proper resets before and after) and my suspicions are that the oldest is the most neutral to the other newer ones - most suited to "all" detecting. Newer ones' frequency response is not as flat, but equalized if I can express this way. The newer it gets, more biased towards coins and larger objects it seems to appear. For example, with stock 11" coil, on fw 1.5 I could detect items as small as pistol round lead bullets (16-17 century), around 4-5mm in D, while with the V2 it simply does not see them at all. In fact, with V2 I pull mostly larger coins and not much of anything else. I also own 15" coil and in regards to small objects of say, I see the following unmasking pattern:

Small copper button (10mm D) in top of mineralized soil, same program, sensitivity, GB 0, IF 0, FE 0, recovery 4:
      v1.5 - 11" performs better than 15" - can ID easier with with 11 with iron grunt
      v1.7.5 - 15" performs better than 11" - can ID easier with 15 with iron grunt
      v2.1.12 - neither of coils can see the button (FE 0 and F2 0), not even a chirp, completely blind, just iron grunt
      It takes an awful lot of time to test things, I often hunt same fields, therefore my question, what fw do you use for digging everything?

Situation no 2. My friend owns XP Deus lite and we went hunting on 200 year small old field full of coke (VDI 1-2). Soil was excellent, GB was 1! He was pulling various buckles, coins and buttons from a significant depth, while I found only few coins and one other copper thing, he only made 3rd of field when I finished. We frequently tried to scan questionable targets with both detectors to confirm if they are worth digging. What happened next was a bitter surprise. He pulled a button from about 10" hole beside the coke. I asked him to drop this button into the hole to try to ID it again, but Equinox was completely blinded by the coke, all I could see is VDI 1 and no matter what program or setting I tried, and notching it out, different angle and speed, no chance, nothing. The only thing I did not try is to switch to single frequency. Deus had absolutely no problem seeing it. I feel I missed so much in that field. I was running fw V2 and I really want to go back there once more with the old version. Is there anything you think I could try to get past the coke? I'm going to that field again this weekend.
      Just to add another oddity. I have done a FP reset on the equinox at some point and that made coke to sound very faint for a half a minute before it returned to full blinding strength.
      Sorry for rather long post. Thank you

• By calabash digger
      A look at two detectors and talk about the detecting game of odds...

• By ed 1
      Hi, a good friend of mine lost his father about 5 years previously and has worn his fathers ring ever since. Four months ago my friend broke a bone in his hand and changed the ring to a finger on the other hand. The ring dropped off his finger as he was cutting the grass, unfortunately the mower was a ride on type and could have dropped off in any one of three small fields. Would I be better off switching to gold mode or leaving the equinox in field 2. In gold mode will it ignore all other metals(would save me a lot of time if it did ). Any ideas to my best approach? Regards Ed