Liking The Orx More And More

Rick N. MI

I find myself also using the Orx more and more.

I'm finding it pretty equal with the Equinox. The Orx is better hunting gold jewelry in Gold modes. Gold Kruzer 2nd for gold jewelry. Equinox 3rd.

It doesn't false either. Better in iron.

It's becoming my main detector.

Detectors I have:

Equinox 800 w/ 11" and 6" coils

XP Orx w/ 9" hf coil

Gold Kruzer w/ 9.5x5.5 concentric, 9.5x5 dd, 4x7.5 dd coils

Lobo STmodded w/ 8" and 5.75" concentric coils

• Like 3

Well, I guess you ought to put this old character in the line with others who are finding their XP Deus or ORX to be a more-often-grabbed device.  More than age affecting my hearing, I used to do a lot of shooting w/o ear protection, then had five incoming mortar rounds impact about 10-15 yards to my left one noisy evening in Viet Nam, and an on-the-job injury 9½ years ago ruptured my right ear drum that healed with scar tissue on the ear canal and ear drum.  The USAF told me I was deaf in '82 thru '86 on the annual exam for veteran summer hire at Hill AFB, and so did the ear surgeon after my injury .... so I guess I qualify for hearing impaired.

That said, I have one of my ORX control units mounted on the operating rod and the other in an XP arm band.  I prefer to use my Gray Ghost XP headphones or 2nd pick would be the Back-Phones.  However, in very quiet areas that are traffic-free and wind-free, I do sometimes just hunt with the speaker audio only.  Overall, no problems hearing most response with the exception of some of the weaker or fainter deeper targets that might sometimes elude me.

Monte

• Like 4

I sold my Nox 800 after I got my ORX but I reconsidered going Nox-free and bought the equinox 600 w/ 6” coil package. So now these are my main detectors. As a relic hunter I think these two make a good pair. I’ve had more experience on the equinox but while I have made some great finds in highly detected spots, I need more experience on the ORX avoid the wide array of junk targets that give a good consistent high tone. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With the Equinox 800 and 600 and the XP ORX I feel like I have all of my VLF detecting needs covered. I do have a Deus Lite too, just for fun!!!

These detectors aren't going anywhere except on my arm.

• Like 3

I sold my Equinox 800 & Lobo ST.

I'm down to:

XP Orx w/ 9" hf coil

Gold Kruzer w/7.5x4 dd, 9.5x5 dd, 9.5x5.5 concentric

Deeptech Vista Gold w/ Super 6 8x6 & 11x7

• Like 3

On 12/26/2019 at 7:49 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

With the Equinox 800 and 600 and the XP ORX I feel like I have all of my VLF detecting needs covered. I do have a Deus Lite too, just for fun!!!

These detectors aren't going anywhere except on my arm.

I also have the equinox 600 and XP Orx as my main (and only) detectors, which I use for relic hunting. More and more I see hunters liking the Nox /Orx pair having found that they compliment one another quite well. 

• Like 4