MSC

Nothing, Arizona

Tried a new area for metal detecting last week, Nothing AZ, it lived up to its name. Spent 5 days and came up with Nothing. Lots of  quarts, black sand looks good but no gold. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Well, that’s a bummer! You’re right, maybe that’s why it was named “Nothing” lol.

Whenever I have driven through there, I never really considered it a gold " looking "  area.....

It was worth a shot though , check that one off the list

Well, I’ve got nothing to say about that......  except Happy Thanksgiving to all! Dave

• Like 3

Being on the other side of the planet, I have never heard of Nothing AZ so I googled it.   Apparently this was on a town sign in Nothing.   It gave me a good laugh. 🙂
"Town of Nothing Arizona. Founded 1977. Elevation 3269ft.
The staunch citizens of Nothing are full of Hope, Faith, and Believe in the work ethic. Thru-the-years-these dedicated people had faith in Nothing, hoped for Nothing, worked at Nothing, for Nothing."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ever heard of the song lyrics, "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing"? Could have been the tune you were humming as you left . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Haha 1

all the places I detected for nuggets should be calles "NOTHING" not just in AZ :laugh: but I'm not giving up.....comes next March I will be going back to AZ together with my friend Joe from CA. Hoping to find the spot called "EVERYTHING" (everything we dig is Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  We are hoping for some help from the nice people at Stanton Camp and others who might read this and want to help a German nugget hunter to find his first piece of gold. AU2U all.

• Like 2

Sometimes you come home with your pockets empty..Sometimes you come home smiling... (Seeker)

• Like 3

No big deal!

I spent two weeks at a time and couldn’t carry out all the trash I found. But every target could have been a nugget.

That’s why I’m not driving the thousand miles and staying home coin hunting.

Oh boy how do I miss it. Nothing like a gold nugget coming out of the ground and you the first to ever see that nugget you now hold in your hand .

The problem people are dropping coins out of their pockets everyday but that nugget is never replaced by another.

Chuck 

• Like 6

South East a few miles will put you on free milling gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bobbo
      Hello all,
      My soon-to-be-fiancée and I are heading to Arizona in a few weeks. She's a Science teacher and loves ALL things space. I want to take her meteorite hunting but have NO clue where to start. For the folks whose ever been to Holbrook, I have a few questions:
      1. Are there metal detector rental places nearby? We're flying in from Florida so I'd like to purchase/rent when we get there.
      2. If we drive into Holbrook, are there maps telling you where to go hunt? I'll continue to look for GPS coordinates before I go. I've read folks talking about railroad tracks...
      3. Are metal detectors the best way to find something? Can you "drag a magnet" or use the naked eye?
      Thanks for any replies. ANY help will be much appreciated.
      -Bobbo

• By mn90403
      Let me start of by saying I heard about and saw some pictures of hugh silver and gold found in Arizona.  If I find a link or the discoverer wants to post up his pictures I'll let you know.  This find is not about that.  This find is about a couple of good weather days in Arizona near Wickenburg if you follow on the map.  I went there because of Bill Southern's outing that was very well attended.  He'll have some pictures on his forum which I'll try to link here. 
      https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/34683-outing-pictures/
      Minelab America was there giving away something to everyone who attended and they also had a raffle which benefited AMRA to the tune of $2700!  This was near the second day and where the nuggets were found.

This first picture is a panorama of the area where I went the first morning.  It is near a GPAA claim was a nice specimen was found last month.

As you can see the desert is not really dead.  It has many living plants and animals.  The fallen cactus is a saguaro.  You normally only see it standing with its green skin but inside it is an engineering masterpiece.  It is made of many rods that give it strength.

The next set of pictures is of the cactus that makes cowboys strong and forget about pain.  These are the jumping cactus that get you over and over again.

I finally dug a hole but it was hot ground.

If you enlarge these pictures you will see in the picture some wild burros.  There were about 10 with a couple of black ones.

The next day we stopped by an old mine on the way to a different claim.

Chet got us near and then we went off a less travelled road and we had to turn around.  This is him coming out.

I didn't take my phone detecting this time because it lost power trying to find a signal.  This was the claim where Chet found a nice 2 g nugget and I found the .25 g nugget.
      These were my pictures on the way out at the end of the day and before my 6 hour drive back to Santa Monica.

I took a couple of bad picture of the nugget this morning with the phone.  It makes me want to get a better one ... nugget and phone that is!

• By Clay Diggins
      Land Matters has posted an explanation and map of the proposed BLM Vulture Mountains Rec Area lease in Arizona. The lease would involve withdrawing the area from claim location.
      This is a popular and productive gold prospecting area just Northwest of Phoenix Arizona. It's adjacent to the active Vulture Mine one of the oldest and most productive gold mines in Arizona. There are a lot of claims there at present. If you have claims in the area or just enjoy prospecting the Vulture region this might be a good time to let the BLM know your thoughts on their proposal. Comments need to be submitted by December 23, 2016.
      You can see the withdrawal proposal and interactive map on the News and Views front page.
      This is part of Land Matters ongoing effort to track and map all proposed mineral withdrawals. This is a very ambitious project but one that several Land Matters users have requested. If you know of any current withdrawal proposals that you would like to see featured please contact Land Matters at support@mylandmatters.org.
    • Guest Jennifer
      By Guest Jennifer
      Hi all.... well after spending an uneventful time on the top of Rye Patch, I made my way to Gold Basin to see that area. After mentioning to Doc (Doc's Detecting) that I was in the area and asking him if he had any suggestions for areas to check out, he not only suggested some great areas, he drove here at 3am the next day and we met at 5:30 on Gold Basin and had an AWESOME day detecting.. it was finally a chance to meet one of the first people I started chatting with on the forums years ago upon joining........ I was on my 2300 (that I purchased from Doc earlier this year) and he was on his 7000. Well by the end of the day, he'd hit a bit (one of which he let me dig and keep as it was too deep for my 2300 till he'd removed a bit of the overburden), I'd hit a bit (of trash) but the company and the scenery were better than any nugget I'd have hoped to find....
      Doc and I parted ways that afternoon and after realizing that evening that I'd left my snake chaps in his truck and they were now back in Vegas, we made plans to meet up on Sat to get them... I figured the 2 hour drive was better than the 2 week wait for the postal service and the chance of getting bit in the bush out alone..... plans changed that evening and I decided to just have him send them to me UPS and I'd risk one day in the rattle fields..... I'm glad I did.....
      I went out to an area several miles from where Doc took me (out of respect for his areas), I then drove around scoping out other areas (not on club claims) and didn't find much, upon starting the trip back into Meadview, I was about to jump onto the main dirt road back to the highway and something tapped me on the shoulder and said (in Doc's own voice)... that spot looks real interesting...... and I turned around and went back..... After putting on what seemed like a full on leather-fest of gear, harnesses, pick holders, speakers, amps, Glock .40 etc etc etc.... (loaded for bear with no snake chaps, smart Jennifer), I proceeded to start up a nice little gully... not a dig hole in sight and BAAAAAAM.... (LESS THAN 20' UP THE WASH) woooooo yea baby.... the sound we love to hear.... suuuuuwweeeeeeeet... dig dig dig.... woooooowwwwwaaawwwwwoooowwaaaaaa..dig dig dig..... sweat curse dig.... BOING!!!!!!! Taddaaaaaaaaaaaa...... plop, into the mouth it went ....
      This entire gully (actually it's a series of parallel gullies) were dig hole free, this slug (and it felt like a Northern California slug) would have been found with a tin can on a string, it was down about a foot, was found with a GPX5000 and a Nugget Finder Advantage 14" elliptical.... it was getting late so I only dug the one, I'm saving the rest of the gullies for when my Sensei (Doc) can take a day off and come back and work the area with me, me on my 5k and him on his 7k.
      Doc, thank you for being a true advocate for our hobby, you didn't have to take a day off to show me the area, let alone drive 2 hours each way to do so..... men like you make me proud to be part of this community.....
      It's nothing special for a lot of people, but for me.... every nugget has a story (as most of you have heard of my long winded nugget stories in the past) and for me, this was not only my first Gold Basin nugget, it was my first American nugget (most of my work has been done in Australia and Canada).
      Almost 1/4 ounce, 7 grams..... and as I type this email, it's enjoying a nice warm bubble (acid) bath to make it even puuuuuuurdier.... (about $332.00 on today's spot price, a bit closer to getting that GPZ)......... I wonder if my 5000 would stop talking to me if he realized he was the maker of his own demise? I feel like an IT Manager asking an IT professional to train the new guy from Bangladore who only speaks Punjabi, who's going to get his job once training's complete. :)
      Doc, thanks again... I had a great day with you and wouldn't have found this memory without your help.... come back and help me finish what I started.
      Jen

• By DolanDave
      Got out for a half day hunt to Gold Basin early before getting to hot. Found a small nugget and a puzzle piece meteorite that I put back together, as shown in picture.
       Enclosing a video also... The early mornings sure are a perfect 80 degrees, but once that sun comes out the temp rises fast...
      Dave.