Testing The 18" Detech Mono Coil

Hello to all 2 weeks a go i took the plunge and bought the most suitable coil for my needs......its heavier than my other coil but the aim was :

How deep can i really dig

And how much ground can i cover

So i mounted the beast on my carbon shaft after a few rubber washer adjustment i was all set.Tide was good weather was clear but it s dark after 5pm and the beach has mudflats and alone with limited network i won't take risk of getting stranded.Anyway it heavier and after a few adjustment with the SAT ,the gain  and the delay i was all set.

This coil is blasting targets really hard i pick up the knife at 50cm and dug a real crater ,not many targets except the silver earing and the find of the day a Silver Long cross penny circa ad 1272-1303 nothing really amazing but i could not  find anything old about this area...........

Next day went back to try the CTX on the right side on the spot and i pick up lots of fishing weights.

Can wait to try the coil again maybe next Monday

RR

thumbnail-32.jpeg

thumbnail-24.jpeg

thumbnail-16.jpeg

thumbnail-30.jpeg

• Like 3

Thats a fair old hunk of copper and plastic to lug around,never weighed my 20'' Sierra Grande Mono but it must be the same weight or possibly heavier,so can only lug it around with a full harness.

Thats a nice Long Cross penny,well done !!

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

That is a pretty heavy coil but I guess with the size of it, it's huge 🙂   I wonder what the closed design version weighs.

Good find on that coin, the coins older than the first settlers in my country 🙂

Was that the Thames you were hunting?  Fishing lures..... people eat fish out of that River??? :blink:

Nope you can't hunt the Thames with a PI or you won't move 1 cm too many nails and iron bits.I was on the Kent coast.

At the moment i am training myself machine ,digging big holes etc............then i will start to investigate other beaches

RR

7 hours ago, RickUK said:

Thats a fair old hunk of copper and plastic to lug around,never weighed my 20'' Sierra Grande Mono but it must be the same weight or possibly heavier,so can only lug it around with a full harness.

Thats a nice Long Cross penny,well done !!

Well i may need to build another carbon shaft ,i ordered few bits to make another bungee system

RR

2 minutes ago, Rivers rat said:

Well i may need to build another carbon shaft ,i ordered few bits to make another bungee system

RR

Just ordered another full harness and will be using it with my Hipstick that will take the weight of almost any detector/coil combination how ever heavy they are.

• Like 1

Just now, RickUK said:

Just ordered another full harness and will be using it with my Hipstick that will take the weight of almost any detector/coil combination how ever heavy they are.

Did you get the 25" ???

RR

33 minutes ago, Rivers rat said:

Did you get the 25" ???

RR

Not as yet me old mate,been doing some major work around the house etc,but not forgotten about it.

That is a heavy coil, did you try running the shaft shorter so the coil is closer to your feet? I did that with my 3lb nel and found it easier to swing rather than a harness. Harness I got was awkward and hurt my neck.

Beaches here are difficult to dig more than 14" or so because they fill in so fast, really need a monster scoop to get the find in one or 2 shots. I recently snagged a 10x14 and find it does better than I thought in nail infested river bank. Taking me some getting used to for pin pointing. I have been using the nose of the coil to find the edge of the target then approach at an angle then dig from there. Is there a better way to pinpoint with a mono?

Lastly I stuffed a couple rare earth magnets from some old hard drives in the bottom of the scoop I have and seem to snag those nails pretty easy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kac said:

That is a heavy coil, did you try running the shaft shorter so the coil is closer to your feet? I did that with my 3lb nel and found it easier to swing rather than a harness. Harness I got was awkward and hurt my neck.

Beaches here are difficult to dig more than 14" or so because they fill in so fast, really need a monster scoop to get the find in one or 2 shots. I recently snagged a 10x14 and find it does better than I thought in nail infested river bank. Taking me some getting used to for pin pointing. I have been using the nose of the coil to find the edge of the target then approach at an angle then dig from there. Is there a better way to pinpoint with a mono?

Lastly I stuffed a couple rare earth magnets from some old hard drives in the bottom of the scoop I have and seem to snag those nails pretty easy.

Hi Kac i am still experimenting,needless to.say i got to put more hours.in that coil.I bought a longer shaft last night (carbon fiber) and will diy shortly.I had same neck issue on Tuesday so.i thought i.need to work on something ,or get the coil closer or get a longer sgaft and more bungees.

Now on the sand scoop side of things after talking with Le Jag and digging myself 100s.of holes i believe 99% of the scoops arent designed for deep digging.Either you are stuck ,as the scoop doesnt have enough holes ,or you are digging too far in diagonal from the target creating huge craters .The solution may be changing the angle of the scoops and making them stronger so u can jump on it to help it to sink pull on the beast and retrieve the target.

RR

I have an RTG scoop with the wire basket that is on the short side. Wasn't a big deal when I used a VLF as I wasn't going that deep but the PI is a different story. I could be going at too much of an angle which doesn't help as the angle of the scoop is almost 90° to the shaft.

• Like 1