geof_junk

Gold Is Not Worth A $2 Bill.

No it worth a bit more. 🤣

p1012354.JPG

• Like 8

Hard to believe they still have $1 and $2 notes, and they're not even made of the new funky plastic yet.  I'm glad we have our Gold $1 and $2 coins in AU/NZ, those suckers are so easy to find with a metal detector and there seems to be so many of the darn things laying around.  🙂

I could never go hungry if I have a metal detector in my possession with all the gold coins I can find.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 dollar bills are rarely used.  We tried coins multiple times, just hasn't taken off.  Nobody wants to carry a change purse since dollars still have some value here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

2 dollar bills are rarely used.  We tried coins multiple times, just hasn't taken off.  Nobody wants to carry a change purse since dollars still have some value here.

People here rarely use any coins now, or notes for that matter, it's all cards these days but there are plenty of the Gold $1 and $2 coins to be found just about everywhere people hang out and they're the easiest coin to detect, detectors just love them with deadly accurate ID's on the things.   They're a detectorists best friend, coins with a decent value, only have to find a few to buy some lunch while out 🙂

• Like 1

Simon the size of the dollar coin is a lot large than 2 dollar coin not like the Kiwi coins we have to work harder to get the larger denomination coin than you Kiwi's 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Simon the size of the dollar coin is a lot large than 2 dollar coin not like the Kiwi coins we have to work harder to get the larger denomination coin than you Kiwi's 😉

haha I forgot about that, your $2 is smaller than the $1, and you have a giant 50 cent.... now they're wallet fillers.  Our coins are a bit different, size matters, the bigger the coin the more it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coins, cash, whats that? Plastic fantastic for me. Eftpos (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale)......has been for me for years. So no chance of me losing cash.

JW🤠

nice gold!
I doubt the two dollar bill is made anymore....

I do wish the USA stamped one and two dollar coins....

and gave up on the useless zinc pennies!

fred

• Like 5

Yeah them zinc pennies self destruct in no time an disappear completely shortly after that 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Happy Turkey Day you Turkeys !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

They last minted 1c and 2c coins in NZ in 1987.  That doesn't stop them from being some of the most common coins I find.  I guess people long worked out they were a waste of time and whenever they got one they flicked it off into the grass to save pocket space...

So even if they did get rid of your Zinc pennys it's legacy would live on for many years and many digs 🙂

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I finally got out to test out my new 8" X-Coil, I've been wanting a size like this for a long time.  I thought it was going to be impossible to fit the GPZ Super-D design into such a small coil however X-coils after some time have achieved it and it works exceptionally well.  I was running my GPZ in HY Normal with gain of 20, manual ground balance all day.

My first pellet recovery 🙂

These were my weapons of choice for the day, the little 8" hardly looks much bigger than the little 6x3" sniper on the GB2.  It made the GPZ feel reasonably light too, I ran it all day without my harness which is handy as I was in rocky hilly terrain always putting my detector down so it was great having the extra freedom.
      I was comparing targets with my GB2 all day, seeing it's widely regarded as the most sensitive VLF I wanted to see the difference in performance to the GPZ with a small coil.  The first thing I noticed almost immediately on little shotgun pellets which I found a lot of by the way was the GPZ was noticeably deeper than the GB2.  There were pellets that the GB2 didn't pick up at all where the GPZ had a reasonable signal on them.  I also found the Discrimination on the GB2 was near pointless on a lot of targets as it had no signal at all on them only giving a signal in it's all metal mode.  The pellets had to be much closer to the coil than they were in the soils for the Discrimination to work, I was quite disappointed in this as I was hoping it would be a good gold discriminating pin pointer.
      This area has a lot of hot rocks, by a lot I mean they're everywhere and they're often green, you can't do a swing of a VLF without hitting them on every swing, I've been to this area a lot lately, its where I recently found 9 grams.  I've moved on from that exact area I found the gold last time as it dried up but the same general area.  The GB2 was of course having a lot of trouble with them, with the Nox I just notch out -8 and -9 and all is pretty good and the Nox doesn't appear to lose depth when discriminating like the GB2 and Gold Monster do.  The 8" X-Coil was handling the hot rocks well, most of the smaller ones it was blind to, the big ones, some the size of a football or bigger it would get a signal on, so I tried the quick track button and waving it over the top of one, it took about 10 or so sweeps but it was able to give minimal reaction on one afterwards so I had my GPZ in manual balanced over a big green hot rock for the day so instead of using my Yellow ferrite ring I used a hot rock, it made more sense to me seeing they're the areas problem, correct me if I'm wrong.
      My first bit of gold was downstream in the old timer wash channel from my 9 gram spot.  I did my usual pellet scrape, the signal lasted longer than a few scrapes, so I did some bigger scrapes and the target was getting better so I took a short video as I was starting to get pretty confident.
      It turned out to be a nugget in the gravelly layer below the top soil, pretty small nugget too.

The GB2 did not pick this one up at all until I was closer down to it, that was in maximum settings with audio boost.

Little longish bit.

0.177 of a gram, my biggest of the day 🙂
      I walked across to the next wash as that was my plan for the day and was finding my usual pellets and comparing the two detectors, I was finding the GB2 was handy as a pin pointer and it's 71kHz wasn't interfering with my GPZ at all.  I was also tipping my GPZ on it's side and using the edge of the 8" coil as a pinpointer and that was working pretty well for me.   Seeing I was finding so many pellets, way more than usual in this location I was getting plenty of target recovery practice 🙂

Off to the edge of this bedrock I got another bit.

Almost a little ball, when it was dirty I thought it was just another pellet.

After cleaning the dirt out of it it's not as much like a little ball as it looked. It's a ball with a tumor.
      I heard a couple of bikes coming along the nearby track, turned out it was JW and his wife Robyn, they knew I was going to be there today so popped in for a visit, JW also has unfinished business in the area where he's been attacking a rocky wall of the wash for months and still getting gold out of it, he had his 15x10" X-Coil on which was a surprise, he put his 10" on and I thought he'd forgotten how to remote it and it rarely left since, he just loves that little 10".  He was impressed with my little 8"', especially the size knowing It can get into places the 10" can't.   We started detecting again and Robyn found comfy spot to read her book.
      It wasn't long and I could hear JW's usual TAP TAP TAP as he's smashing away at the rock 🙂 I kept checking out the lower areas of the wash and it wasn't too much longer after 5 or so more pellets I found another bit of gold.

It was down in that bit of a gap in the rock.

It was starting to cool down a lot now, well the day was never warm, I guess a maximum of about 5 degrees Celsuis but once the sun starts to go behind the mountains it cools down quickly so I went back to a bit that still had some sun 🙂
      At this point I'd seen the bit of gold and knew where it was sitting down in the gravels but I wanted to show the crazy prickle bush I was dealing with, I'd already broken some branches off at this point, look at them thorns! This video also shows the sideways method I was using to pinpoint.  The center of the coil is definitely it's hottest deepest spot but the edges are still good.
      This was my last bit of the day

And just some scenery shots of the area, gold can be anywhere around here, even in the most unlikely of places.

In between the bedrock is has been the most productive for me, which is why I like little coils.

Everywhere you look are old timer rock piles, they're gradually getting buried by plant life.

Once those giant prickle bushes grow in them, they're no longer detectable.

Piles everywhere though, it goes for a few miles

It's starting to get very overgrown in places, every year it's getting worse, gradually disappearing.

Some of these cliff edges would be great to detect and would hold quite a bit of gold I'd imagine but they're just too steep for me.

This is the sort of stuff JW is chunking away at all day getting gold out of the cracks, he said he's now bought a little battery powered jack hammer type thing to help with the job as it's hard work with a pick, hammer, cold chisel and screw driver but there is a fair bit of gold trapped in the rock.

It's all in layers and you can smash them out slowly with your pick.

And my junk for the day, well the junk I didn't lose from my pocket.  So overall I'm very impressed with the 8".  It seemed to me like it was exceeding the GB2 in performance on small pellets at depth.  I'm still better at pinpointing with a small coil like on the GB2 but with practice I'll get better.
      As I was about to leave I went over to see how JW was going, right as I got there he had a target, I took over my GB2 as I know he often uses his one as pin pointer too, especially when smashing out rock as it can save a lot of time.  He was using the nose of the 15x10" coil as his pin pointer and said it was working really well, he found the tip to be pretty sensitive but still too big to get down into the spot well so we used the Gb2 to get narrow down where to smash out... after a fair time of hitting he had the signal out, and it was a bit of gold smaller than my smallest bit and the 15x10" was sounding on it loudly.  He had another signal in the rock to recover so I left him to it as they can take half an hour or more each to get out.
    • By Joe Beechnut OBN
      I'm getting so old.......I was messing around Saturday thinking the tide was at 5 o'clock. I go to check the tides at 1:30 and seen low tides were at 3 pm and I had a long drive...OUCH..Late
      Ended up getting in the water at 2:40 pm..walked out ..first target of the day..Gold Signet. I put myself in the area for the last few times out with the excalibur I have got a few non silver coins from the general area. 
      I ended up working about a 100 foot strip and maybe 20 feet wide..over and over..One thing I have always noticed with the Excalibur, you can get a target from one direction and then spin around 
      And try it from another and it is not there..same goes with the AQ...so I was doing "X" and "O"'s most of the afternoon. And it paid off... I got 9 silvers, several nickels, one a Buff...and 4 gold rings. Something I did notice of late is fresh drops at this spot have increased due to some boundary changes of the community  And they are shallow so any target at this beach I have to dig all. Something some may not believe but I never dug one piece of trash this hunt.....other then a bathing suit clip..and a lead bullet.. 
      Also this trip out was to get a final hour count on the battery system I worked up...Total runtime with the tube battery was 8 hours and 31 minutes...(end voltage was 13.1) Not bad at all, I had calculated 7 hours and 46 minutes..glad it turned out better then expected.....(And special thinks to Carolina for tell me how good these batteries are with his MDT's) Seems they will do the trick so I ordered 4 more..
      Good Luck to everyone out there ..HH and Be Safe..Joe

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Got a small gold ring today testing out one of the battery packs I made for the "AQ" ...2 hours and 50 minutes then I heard thunder...time to high tail it out of the water. Be back out Saturday.
      Fridays outing ..... 2 silver rings 5 silver coins and a piece of a silver bracelet and one 2.1gram 10k ring....use to be 2.1 grams was 30 dollars..now we are looking at 25 plus dollars for one gram of 10k..where will the gold endup at? 
      I am getting so old..Had the gold ring on video, deleted all the files except the one of showing the battery tube coming out of the water..No clue where they went..Thing I'm going to start wearing a video cam all of the time just to see some of the crazy things that I do..
      Good Luck to everyone that gets out...Be Safe..

Notice my audio cut of switch..worked like a charm..except I need to stabilize it better..was slipping around..when switch off and on..the audio..
      My ears said thank you..

• By Rob Allison
      Hello Everyone,
        It's been awhile since I have been out.  We have been placering a large wash down to the paylayer and bedrock.  This time of year, you can only do so much digging, raking and detecting.  Here is a short Youtube video of a partner and I working for half the day placering for gold with the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector.  Hope you enjoy.
      Watch, Like and Subscribe our "Nuggethunting" Youtube Channel to follow us on our Arizona Desert Adventures for gold nuggets. 

• By phoenix
      Just recently I have re aquired a interest in using the 19" coil on the 7000. I was at a spot yesterday which was known for big gold in the early days of detecting. Years ago I met a guy at this spot that told me he got a 60 ouncer there with a SD2000.  Yesterday I was using JP`s deep gold settings and got this piece on the surface.  I moved it on the very first light scrape and the only reason I got it was because the sweet spot of the coil happened to go over it. When I changed over to High Yield I could hear it pretty clearly. Now I want to find the exact opposite to this piece. This one goes 0.03g 🙂

• By Chet
      This is a long read but a fantastic story! 
      https://www.mindat.org/article.php/516/Australia's+134+Pound+Gold+Nugget