Gold Is Not Worth A $2 Bill.

geof_junk

On 12/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, GB_Amateur said:

I conclude you are in Canada.  Can't beat the Canadian nicknames:  Loonie ($1) and Toonie ($2).  😄

That is correct. The first one dollar coins after the large, traditional silvers or the follow-up same-size large mostly steel coins, had a loon on one side, thus the "loonie", then when the two dollar coin came out, they had a contest, and the name "toonie" won it. On a side note, when compared to the cartoons "Loonie Toones" it's a rather funny pun for the two coins.

All the best from the current land of the chosen frozen,

Lanny

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lanny said:

The first one dollar coins after the large, traditional silvers or the follow-up same-size large mostly steel coins, had a loon on one side, thus the "loonie"....

In 1987 I was part of a scientific expedition to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.  (We were studying particles from space, not particles from SK.)  😁  A friend along had the idea of flying (our experimental payload was taken by balloon to 120,000 ft = 36 km altitude) some of the new, handsome local $1 coins and then giving them away as souvenirs.  I kept mine to this day.

As an aside, coins in their first year of mintage tend to be 'collected' by the public.  Thus mint state (=uncirculated) specimens are often more common in that year than for later dates.  Still, there are some great first year rarities from the 20th Century, and particularly 1916 (1916 Standing Liberty Quarter being the poster child).  1932-D and -S Washington quarters are another example.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 9:56 AM, fredmason said:

I doubt the two dollar bill is made anymore....

Yes the $2 bill is still made, I got a couple just the other day and took them to Hardees.

They confused the cashier so bad she thought they were counterfeit, and called the  police.

They explained to the girl that they are real and that she should give me my order.

Great finds on all that gold, some day I will be finding some of that.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Yes the $2 bill is still made, I got a couple just the other day and took them to Hardees.

They confused the cashier so bad she thought they were counterfeit, and called the  police.

What do they teach in school these days, or do they even?  😢

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What do they teach in school these days, or do they even

I am glad you asked that question. My granddaughter told me that when she is at least 5 years old she can decide which sex she wants to be. I always believed that you were the the same sex since you were born even with surgery.

They also teach some history and math, but little else that is useful in life.

• Sad 1