Gold Is Not Worth A $2 Bill.

geof_junk

On 11/28/2019 at 3:36 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

They often give me more back in change then I was supposed to get originally. 

So far in 2019 I got $18.00 dollar coins back in change.  The cashiers thought they were quarters I gave up on explaining what they are.  

• Like 1

Simon you will note the nick near the date. I won't show you the other side where I hit it fair and square with my gold pick, but its still my favourite coin find.😭

Another coin (aus $) showing the size of gold in groups of ten small nuggets..

p1012697.JPG

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, geof_junk said:

This a photo of my first Token found compared to a USA Doller that I found.

Wow, most US dectectorists never find a silver dollar in a lifetime of hunting here and you recovered one in Australia!  Condition/grade looks pretty high, too.  Likely worth a couple hundred $ if the reverse isn't damaged.  (You told Simon you damaged the token?)  BTW, in the 19th (and even early) 20th Century, apparently to save $ (not) paying a professional sculptor, the US mint produced multiple denominations (dime, quarter, half, dollar, sometimes dollar, and even 20 cent piece for a short time) with the same obverse design.  So best to show the reverse where the denomination is indicated when using an early US coin for scale.  But, yes, you told us it was a dollar, so those of us familiar with US coins know your scale here.  Still amazed and impressed you found that coin Down Under.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info GB_Amateur. At least I can get my pride back, the wife rubs it in when she say "I found two gold coins".😁 I found it way back in the early 1980's. The coin shop said he would give me $10 Aus. just over $10 Usa at the time. I treasured it more than that and still do and won't part with it. I also found a USA quarter dollar that was lost in West Aust. by one of you Yanks when they were stealing our gold. 😀 

Quarter+Dollar.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, kiwijw said:

Hi there Lanny. Here is our New Zealand coinage. Yes the one & two dollar coins are just gold coloured. The $2 coin has a White Heron (Kotuku in the Maori language) which is one of New Zealand's rarest birds & is held in particular high regard in Maori mythology. The $1 coin has the Kiwi bird on it. Our indigenous flightless bird. The 50 cent piece has Captain Cook's ship the Endeavour sailing past Mount Taranaki, in the background, on the West Coast of the North Island. While right on the coast is snow capped in winter being 2,518 meters high. A volcano that last erupted in 1854 . The 20 cent piece has a well known Maori 'Pukaki' carving & the 10 cent piece has a Maori carved facial head or 'Koruru' & is copper plated steel. I took the photo on the latest NZ Jet Boating mag which turned up yesterday. Due to us having a brilliant day jet boating on sunday.:biggrin:

20191203_075002.thumb.jpg.b4c2c90b78f28d357618c973aa86c931.jpg 

Best of luck out there

JW 🤠

Thanks for the coinage tutorial, much appreciated that you took the time to put it all together.

All the best,

Lanny