Could Not Make Eqx To See The Target

nordic

Hi All,

First post, please do not judge... Question to more experienced EQ 800 users. I have been detecting for over half a year now, got piles of questions I can't seem to find a definitive answers, so decided to register and ask instead. I also want to highlight I'm interested in all relics, not just coins. Thanks in advance.

Long story short, I have 2 things to ask about, these are sitting for quite a while in my head and can't seem to figure it out. First and probably most asked is the firmware version. I have tried all 3 versions (with proper resets before and after) and my suspicions are that the oldest is the most neutral to the other newer ones - most suited to "all" detecting. Newer ones' frequency response is not as flat, but equalized if I can express this way. The newer it gets, more biased towards coins and larger objects it seems to appear. For example, with stock 11" coil, on fw 1.5 I could detect items as small as pistol round lead bullets (16-17 century), around 4-5mm in D, while with the V2 it simply does not see them at all. In fact, with V2 I pull mostly larger coins and not much of anything else. I also own 15" coil and in regards to small objects of say, I see the following unmasking pattern:

Small copper button (10mm D) in top of mineralized soil, same program, sensitivity, GB 0, IF 0, FE 0, recovery 4:
v1.5 - 11" performs better than 15" - can ID easier with with 11 with iron grunt
v1.7.5 - 15" performs better than 11" - can ID easier with 15 with iron grunt
v2.1.12 - neither of coils can see the button (FE 0 and F2 0), not even a chirp, completely blind, just iron grunt

It takes an awful lot of time to test things, I often hunt same fields, therefore my question, what fw do you use for digging everything?

Situation no 2. My friend owns XP Deus lite and we went hunting on 200 year small old field full of coke (VDI 1-2). Soil was excellent, GB was 1! He was pulling various buckles, coins and buttons from a significant depth, while I found only few coins and one other copper thing, he only made 3rd of field when I finished. We frequently tried to scan questionable targets with both detectors to confirm if they are worth digging. What happened next was a bitter surprise. He pulled a button from about 10" hole beside the coke. I asked him to drop this button into the hole to try to ID it again, but Equinox was completely blinded by the coke, all I could see is VDI 1 and no matter what program or setting I tried, and notching it out, different angle and speed, no chance, nothing. The only thing I did not try is to switch to single frequency. Deus had absolutely no problem seeing it. I feel I missed so much in that field. I was running fw V2 and I really want to go back there once more with the old version. Is there anything you think I could try to get past the coke? I'm going to that field again this weekend.

Just to add another oddity. I have done a FP reset on the equinox at some point and that made coke to sound very faint for a half a minute before it returned to full blinding strength.

Sorry for rather long post. Thank you

Hi there and thanks.

The ground and area were very quiet, I ran it at sensitivity 22-24.
Over the difficult target with coke, I tried all recovery speeds from 2 to 8, but normally I use 3-4, mostly 4.
I like having iron bias set to 0 in either FE or F2, that day it was in FE=0, but I tried F2=0 too over that target, did not make any difference. All it could see is coke vdi 1, loud and clear.

nordic .. you get the G-B value in your terrain ...?, because GB = 1 for equinox is balancing for ferrite .., have you tried to apply discrimination on to 0,1,2 ...? in your tests ..?

Equinox... the use of discrimination in difficult conditions is desirable ...,.... it is not necessary to rely on Allmetall ..   it reminds me of the iron volume setting which is in some detectors - but in this case also affects the ID...

• Like 1

That field has an unusual soil, very dark and porous, looks very fertile. Anyway, the GB grab was 1, which is also unusual. Typically soils here GB in 50-70 range. Though they say it is not necessary to GB in multi freq? I usually use field 2 mode, which has metal range extended from -9 to 2 by default, I had it set to -9 to 0 manually, but returned to 2 when testing on that difficult target. All it did is silenced the coke, but button did not show up. I have rolled back to v1.5 now and will test that field again. Can’t wait. Thanks a lot

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

The GB of 1 isn't right. You will get in the 30-40 range on mild soil. 

Indeed. Did it few times on various patches, it was 0-1. Even after switching to tracking and then checking it later it was 0 or 1.

Friend’s Deus GB’ed close to 90, which is default I believe

Try 2 tone with disc at -1.

• Like 1

After he removed it, we threw it back into the hole, I wanted to see if I could ID it so deep, I could not. Tried all recovery speeds. Deus was picking it up but not on every swing, he then switched it to Deep program and it was ID’ing it with every swing with ease. Not sure what program he used initially...

Wonder if we had a massive void under our feet that GB did not register correctly 😳