Could Not Make Eqx To See The Target

nordic

Thanks for all replies so far, we are going to try this place once again this weekend, I will report how it feels on v1.5
We may even dig that same test hole once again if we have time.

I have to say, that all nearby fields are very dense with coke, every meter or so, I just didn't realize it may blind the equinox this much. It really likes it, very very strong signal and it is not shallow as I could hear it only once per swing.

How to try older versions / reload old version to see for myself ?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, KD0CAC said:

How to try older versions / reload old version to see for myself ?

Thanks 

When you run the Equinox firmware updater you can D/L off the ML website , it will check your detector firmware version.  On that screen is a drop down menu that gives you the option to update to latest version or roll back to either one of the two previous versions.

Honestly, at this point I see no reason to roll back.  I respectfully disagree with Nordic’s premise that the updates are biased to larger targets and are sacrificing overall drepth.  In fact, ML improved on the ability for Equinox to correctly ID edge on coins which increase low target profile “sensitivity” and should enhance depth performance for small targets.  The user profile “reset” bug of the original 1.5 version firmware was also addressed in the version 1.75 update.  Finally, the F2 iron bias filter algorithm introduced in Ver 2 is superior to the Fe iron bias algorithm IMO but ML smartly decided to retain the legacy Fe version as a setting option in ver 2, if that is your preference, without having to roll back to 1.75.  

Not all my issues have been addressed (hello, wonky pinpoint mode) but there certainly is nothing compelling in the previous versions to make me want to roll back to 2.0.  And frankly, my quibbles with remaining Equinox “issues“ are so minor I wouldn’t lose any sleep if this were the last firmware update Equinox sees from a bug fix standpoint.  I would love to continue to see performance enhancement feature adds similar to F2 in future updates, though.

All that being said, I agree that Nordic should go ahead and run the earlier version to convince himself one way or the other and fortunately, ML has made it relatively easy to jump back or jump forward with the various released versions of the firmware. 

• Like 8

I think this ability to roll back and forth made me a little too anxious on what to use and what is best, and not just me.. From researching the topic, I lean towards a conclusion, that with firmware updates ML had to address users complaints mostly. Especially in regards to iron, bottle caps and such. And a lot of us do hunt coins and jewelry only, including my friend with Deux. I'm all hands with ML and that they release such updates, but from engineering perspective, I think such updates are very hard to make without sacrificing something else. I still believe v1.5 is probably the firmware that ML engineers came up with to be what they wanted it to be (other than user profile bug) and all other firmware revisions are fixes and making the masses happy. After all, they need to sell this stuff too. From my own experience, since updating to v2, I feel I haven't dug anything deep for a while, and not much beside coins, as if ML made the algorithm a little more weighted or averaged - as in, not seeing small things as it used to, in order to reduce falsing and filter funny shaped objects that respond with inconsistent phase shift as coil moves over them. All this requires a lot more maturity from the detectorist, which I don't think I am sure, but prefer to dig it all and learn that way, than not see objects at all.

I don't use user profile and I prefer v1.5 pinpointer, I feel it is a lot narrower/sharper than on any other firmware. Also, I don't think depth has changed. As long as ground is clear of other objects, equinox sees items them deep, loud and clear, but I feel that in busier ground, it may see less or filter out more, or average more, something amongst these lines. As an example, if I put a coin inside the horse shoe, older software seem to be able to see it better somehow, by a fraction. And nobody seem to run such tests, people either put nails and swing an inch above the target or bury targets deep into clean ground, or worse - do air tests. But real grounds, at least near me, are far from such scenarios. 

I just want to suggest to not to lose sleep over these updates. Find one that works well for you and stay with it, I guess. The only reason it sparked my interest again is this obvious "fall" before the Deus on a certain situation discussed earlier.

• Like 1

Noridc,

Couple of thoughts.

First of all, I agree with you.  No one should lose any sleep over which version to use.  They are ALL acceptable and get the job done.  I have found awesome (and deep) stuff with each and every version.

If the masses perceived that the subsequent Equinox updates actually reduced depth, I think we would certainly be hearing about it en masse.  That doesn't appear to be the case.

Sometimes, things are just circumstantial or you run into an extended cold streak and the perception is something has changed with the detector (for the worst) and most of the time it really just turns out to be dumb luck or poor site selection.

Finally, remember that no one detector DOES IT ALL.  Equinox like every other detector out there is not perfect.  Neither is Deus.   But there is something to be said of diversity in detecting equipment and I find for me that Deus and Equinox make a great combination if I have the luxury to hit a site multiple times or have the time to go over the site with both detectors.  Also, sometimes you just have to acknowledge that under certain situations one detector is truly superior to the other.  I prefer Deus over Equinox in thick iron situations.  I prefer Equinox at salt sand beaches.  Otherwise, there is a lot of overlap and I find the detectors compliment each other.

Final note, regarding that user profile button.  I find it VERY useful to quickly interrogate iffy signals with diverse Equinox detection modes before I dig the target.  If I get an iffy signal on Field 2, I may have Gold mode or Park 1 loaded up in the user profile slot.  Sometimes that can may an iffy target turn into a definite dig me signal.  I also use Pinpointer to help characterize the footprint of the target (in fact, I rarely use pinpoint to actually pinpoint a target because I feel I can pinpoint better by wiggling the coil edge off the target).

Good luck and HH!

• Like 2

Very good points, thanks a lot for jumping in.

As you said, a lot is based on perception and differences are subtle enough to be influenced by mood alone. There is no general consensus which version does better or worse, but people do rollback or use older versions to suit their tastes or other reason. I'm sure there are people here who are still on either version...

• Like 1

Chase and Nordic, 

You both are way ahead of me on the 800! Im still in the crawling and standing stage as far as inland sites!  And i value both your opinions and instructions on the Nox!   

Pinpoint has not been a big issue to me on any of my detectors, because I've alway used a pinpointer! I've found very tiny stuff with the Nox, and i would be looking way too long without it! 

I'm sure with any detector, one can create a situation where the desired object will not be picked up! But i think those are few and far between! But thanks to you guys, and many of the poster's here, those situations are highlighted and delt with! 

Here in Florida, I'm more concerned with beach conditions, than coins in a horseshoe🤣 But info like this makes an educated detectorist! 

Keep up the good posts, and i will continue to be the apprentice! 👍

• Like 2