Old Button Or Stud

Not sure what division that is, can't find any Coast Guard, Navy or Merchant Marine buttons like that.

The real old buttons around here have loops on the backs from what I have found.

Nice button.

Thanks. The back has thrown me. Cant figure out  for sure its a button. Also could find nothing with the arrow and an anchor. This is an old dugout most probably used 1860s to 1880s. Lots of spent pistol round but little else. Looks more like a temporary site possibly buffalo hunters. I found the coins in a small area also found a small round ground rock digging up one of the buttons. Found at the same site brass trigger guard from a colt pocket pistol year.

• The title was changed to Old Button Or Stud

I have a feeling it's more modern by the back, maybe some designer jacket or something. I tried looking it up but a no go.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, RioTexas said:

I found the coins in a small area

How old are the coins?  That might give you an indication of the button's age.  It sure has nice patina -- I wouldn't pitch it yet.  Even if not military or merchant marine related it could still be from an old piece of clothing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Correction on that last statement I said coins but meant buttons. I cant stress enough that these are from A remote site and are not modern. Found in associan with old pistol  and rifle rounds. Have found nothing modern at this site.

I tried to locate that same anchor with the arrow and only found it in a tattoo gallery. I searched all the military buttons and such to no avail.

The only thing that I could find was a reference of a for hire marine type unit that was located near the  Louisiana and Texas line. They had trained men and also Indians on their boats. Hope that helps, but they stayed close to the Gulf area and not to far inland.