50 Tones Default - Tone Pitch 20 Vs 25

Happa54

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

?   You can only set one tone break when in 50 tones so I don’t understand this recommended setting.  Should it just be T1=12?

Yes, I'm confused by this too. The default for 2 tones is ferrous=1 and non-ferrous=20.

I wouldn't want to set my non-ferrous tone pitch to 12. 

• Like 1

I just asked Randy Dee if he can help explain what Gordon means and perhaps he may have changed it with the updates that have been made since he was one of the original testers of the Equinox.

• Thanks 1

Randy has replied and said:

Hello Mitchel

I have just found Gordons post on the Minelab Owners Forum and I have copied his settings below and I can see why people are getting confused.

Yes Gordon is using 50 Tones and he is correct in saying that you can set the lower tone pitch with the only one option in "Tones" which displays "TONE 1"  (ie) silver paper, thin silver and gold coins and all that it means is that the lowest tone threshold is starting at this low sounding conductive tone then as the machine detects non ferrous according to the conductive scale for example a large copper coin the responsive higher "Tone" is heard.

Notice Gordon does not mention anywhere in his post below that there is the ability to make additional "Tone Breaks" or make any selective "Tone Pitch".   All sounds produced is totally reliant on the conductivity of the metal object and that is where the LOW to HIGH Pitch Tones emanate from and is produced on the tone pitch scale 1 to 50.

Good Hunting

Randy

========================================

Gordons Post from his thread.

Re: Making an Equinox sound like a CTX3030

You can change the tone pitch on all tone options (1, 2, 5, 50).
50 tones is done on Tone Break T1, and a low setting of 1 (T1 = 1) gives the lowest target tones (lower range of multi-tones). T1 = 11 moves the tones range to their highest settings... and of-course setting in between correspond to tone pitches in between..

12 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Why would you want to make an Equinox sound like a CTX when it's not?

Gordon is only giving this information as an option for use not as a must use, it is just a case of like what Mitchel wrote to me the tone setting is just like one does when setting up the "Base & Treble" tones on a stereo to ones own preferences.

The CTX-3030 has the ability to utilize the tones to ones own likes and so does the Equinox, both machines great tones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Randy has replied and said:

Hello Mitchel

I have just found Gordons post on the Minelab Owners Forum and I have copied his settings below and I can see why people are getting confused.

Yes Gordon is using 50 Tones and he is correct in saying that you can set the lower tone pitch with the only one option in "Tones" which displays "TONE 1"  (ie) silver paper, thin silver and gold coins and all that it means is that the lowest tone threshold is starting at this low sounding conductive tone then as the machine detects non ferrous according to the conductive scale for example a large copper coin the responsive higher "Tone" is heard.

Notice Gordon does not mention anywhere in his post below that there is the ability to make additional "Tone Breaks" or make any selective "Tone Pitch".   All sounds produced is totally reliant on the conductivity of the metal object and that is where the LOW to HIGH Pitch Tones emanate from and is produced on the tone pitch scale 1 to 50.

Good Hunting

Randy

========================================

Gordons Post from his thread.

Re: Making an Equinox sound like a CTX3030

You can change the tone pitch on all tone options (1, 2, 5, 50).
50 tones is done on Tone Break T1, and a low setting of 1 (T1 = 1) gives the lowest target tones (lower range of multi-tones). T1 = 11 moves the tones range to their highest settings... and of-course setting in between correspond to tone pitches in between..

Sorry, but this still doesn’t satisfactorily explain why the PDF version of Gordon’s 4 Equinox programs explicitly calls out 2 tone breaks for the 50 tone ‘CTX Tones’ program and also has the tone pitch setting (also known as pitch gap in the 50 tones context) at 1,20 which is the 50 tone default setting.  The explanation above is basically just restating what is already in the manual regarding how to close the ferrous/non-ferrous pitch gap and has no correspondence to his published ‘CTX Tones’ progam settings. So...I’m still confused as to how CTX Tones should be set up.

You guys know more than I do so I hope Gordon might be sent this thread and tell us if he still can tune his instrument this way and get the high tones Happa is after.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for putting your time into this post.

I know nothing about the CTX but I have heard that the tones ARE NOT similar to Explorer/Etrac/Safari. I don't know if this is true though. I do know the FBS machines and that's what I was trying to replicate, or at least come close. After all, Nox is not FBS.

My 50 tone non-ferrous pitch is now set to 25 and it is noticeably higher across the scale than default 20.... I like it. I don't know if I'll keep it there however.

I got a permission this morning to run through a small church field and aluminum cans were screaming at me. I've never run into so many whole aluminum cans in the small area I searched. There is so much iron there and with the rain coming down on me I could barely keep my focus on pinpoint and sizing targets. Normally, I walk away from this stuff. 

Rain is in our forecast this weekend so I'll have to wait it out to get back to my 50 tone tweaking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

You guys know more than I do so I hope Gordon might be sent this thread and tell us if he still can tune his instrument this way and get the high tones Happa is after.

Mitchel - despite the confusion on the CTX tone break setting, I appreciate your efforts to resurrect Gordon’s setups and provide the PDF link as it gave me some good for thought on other possible setups.  TBH I am not personally looking to have my Equinox emulate a CTX or FBS machine audio, but Happa and you have made me think more about tweaking the the 50 tone pitch gap to better accommodate my hearing loss. Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

• Like 1