geof_junk

Australia V Europe

Egads! maybe i'd better add a couple of days to my wish list trip to Australia.

• Like 1

Interesting map,never knew it was as big as that till you have all the other European countries combined inside the Aussie footprint......just shows us how lucky the UK being so small but steeped in history we are.

That for posting that image.

• Like 1

To add to your map, this is why people mostly live on the edges 🙂  

main-qimg-b2c3fcaf861e496511dc2c4f362584

So unless you want to live in the arid zone the majority of the habitation is in quite a small area compared to the land size.  This next map shows the areas of the world that are most comparable to the sections on the map

main-qimg-0b452a6c846b9f415a4d66e5338fab

All pretty cool maps, Looks like the Victorian gold fields are in the easiest location for a detectorist to live where they hunt.

Seeing the size of the country though it really makes you think there has just got to be some more giant nuggets hiding within the range of a detector, there is no way possible it's detected out 🙂

My wife and daughter are off to Brisbane, Australia today.  They're having 36c temperatures, 96.8f for the next few days.  They're going to get a shock when they're complaining 22c (71.6f) is too hot here.  I never like to go there this time of year, too hot for me so am sitting this trip out.

• Like 3

That map of Europe looks a bit 'distorted' to me. I'm sure the UK isn't that big. Not to mention all of Scandinavia and the Baltic States are missing - Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania to name a few.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Found this map on another site

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28424&p=7

It was in relation to Vistors to Australia not being aware of our large distance here.

Australia-europe_area_comparison.jpg

Can you fit New Zealand in there? Plenty of room left in those WA goldfield areas. Might even fit in the gap on the eastern seaboard. 😂

JW 🤠

Righto, I`ve freehanded NZ in, tis that red patch with the gully across the middle just west of Cairns. About the average size of a NQ patch...………….JW the devil made me do it...………...see you at the cricket😉NZ.PNG

Edited by Norvic
Whoops
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Norvic said:

see you at the cricket😉

Should be interesting. You better be on your game. Our boys are on fire. 😂 Sorry....I shouldn't mention Fire. A colleague of Mrs JW's in the wedding filming business was doing a helicopter wedding shoot up into the mountains this week & sent Mr's JW a photo of a glacier & mountain top covered in orange/red ash fallout from your bushfires. :ohmy: Unbelievable. I guess seeing is believing. I will try to see if I can get access to the photo, but I may not be able to use it. Copyright & all that.

JW 🤠

• Like 1

To follow up on what JW said about the snow here covered in red ash fallout from the Australian bush fires the local national news paper did a story on it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12291431

1104660407_pinksnow1.jpg.983ad68bc6791980d83caf3658e9c094.jpg943757053_pinksnow2.jpg.0db2e6ff72b821a7d204317b971c76d8.jpg604334587_pinksnow3.jpg.5f384daae70713639e4b67759d301e40.jpg

Pretty amazing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan Porter
      In the hopes of continuing to keep things interesting I have some audio files I would like to share of the GPZ 7000. It will give you an idea of the incredibly subtle way the audio can respond to “iffy” targets. 
      It is amazing how important the three senses are with metal detecting, sound, sight and touch.🙈🙉🙊 When you rely on one sense only I feel disjointed and disconnected. However the material has merit and will give detector operators an insight into what it is I’m looking for especially in regards to having a good range of motion.
      The target is gold, I put pictures of it up a few days ago. The image used in the video is an indication of the width of the swing used to manifest the target properly. The key is to listen through the unimportant information for the repeatable smooth rising and falling peak of the signal train hidden in the audio. Ignore the discordant dross, what I call the yammer, it is superfluous to the activity but necessary when you work the way I do. Detector is set up with conservative settings such as High Yield/Difficult, Sensitivity 9, Volume 8, Semi Auto GB when found then locked in Manual, Threshold 27, Threshold Pitch 40, Ground Smoothing OFF, Audio Smoothing OFF. 
      Who can tell me at what Time Stamp the target signal starts?🤔
      JP

• By mn90403
      The United States has a deal with Australia about rare earths.  It is a source outside of China.
      https://www.australianmining.com.au/features/australia-us-alliance-key-to-creating-critical-minerals-hub/
    • By Jonathan Porter
      This thread is a place were I can share and continually update pictures of any of my current gold finds, kind of like a gold diary of sorts. Sometimes I’ll include narrative other times it will be just pictures of what I found for the day. I get out detecting regularly and I use a lot of different equipment some of which is not open for discussion. This thread is NOT about equipment but about the gold I find as I find it. I will try to include pictures of the terrain so people can visualise what the areas look like where I‘m detecting. 
      I would prefer if others do not post up pictures to this thread but ALL DP members are more than welcome to comment and ask questions about detecting related subjects, especially about targeting locations and mind sets and approach. It’s OK to relate to a post and talk about your own experiences, in fact I insist on it. That’s the whole point of a gold thread, to share my daily gold finds and talk with like minded people about how much fun it is to find gold.
      The Last couple of days detecting things have been a little slow as I revisit old haunts not visited for years. I’m targeting areas associated with old gold finds looking for indications of other nearby locations that are conducive to nuggets being present. The signs I’m looking for are gravels that are exposed at the surface, especially with pieces of ironstone in the mix, then working off the edges into the soil covered zones. Clermont does not have channeled gravels that were originally associated with creeks and rivers but instead has deltas of wash that spread away from the source becoming water worn in the process, this means you can have quiet large areas of deco clays with very little gravels then hit an area the size of a kitchen with good wash that contains gold, sometimes it can be associated with a weathered down localised quartz reef which has acted as a trap for mobile gravels or it will be made up entirely of gravelly wash that has moved on-mass and delta’d out in a fan shape. The trick is to find these areas hidden amongst the tree cover and fine surface soils that hide them. Quite often you will head downslope following the gold then hit a blank of deco that goes for 30 meters then the gravels will start up again. The trick is to try and push the boundaries until either a major drainage gobbles up the contents of the slope or the ground becomes barren. The hard part is to try and decide if the surface soils are laying over gold gravel or just deco with nothing underneath. 
      JP
      Pics are of the last couple of days in two different locations.

Day two

• By Jonathan Porter
      Yesterday was an overcast day which meant lower temperatures, the perfect opportunity to focus on a little spot I have that has very little shade cover. This year has been a weird summer, I have never seen the humidity so high without major rain associated with it, so even with the milder temperatures I was in a lather of sweat just wandering around. Fortunately the gold I was chasing is tiny and shallow so no major effort digging deep holes and getting the heart rate too high which then means elevated body temperatures.
      I’ve done a lot of testing at this location thanks to the low mineralisation levels a perfect spot for VLF or MF machines. However as is typical in Australia even our quiet ground locations have their noisy sections so yesterday was aimed at targeting the salty ground and the hot rock sections.
      It’s was good fun getting 17 bits but the pay was pretty ordinary relative to the sweaty time spent!😜 The bigger bits were surprisingly deep with a nice crisp but quiet signal response, the tiny ones were oft times right on the surface which required a bit of prostrate kneeling to get down low enough for my 53 year old eyes to spot them before disturbing the ground running the risk of losing them.
      JP

• By madtuna
      Found a nice little run a couple of days ago, 2 days in a row just over 1/2 oz  each day and another 23 grams this morning.
      Here's a pic of this mornings total....

I don't film many digs anymore, but the bigger chunk had a bit of depth. I was hoping it would be deeper and bigger...but alas, not to be, it went just under 10 grams
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUIZp0f7zQ
    • By idahogold
      Beautiful Country! Tremendous Patch! Enjoy! Ig 😜