phrunt

First Gold With My 15x10" Gpx / Qed X-coil

Thanks Simon

I like the ability to work near power lines, the sensitivity and. Apparent ease of use.

The Hotrock issue is extremely concerning to me,  there is very few places I detect in the Western USA that don’t have lots of Hot Rocks...some places they cover the ground. Some places have several kinds...

How do you deal with them?

fred

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

The Hotrock issue is extremely concerning to me,  there is very few places I detect in the Western USA that don’t have lots of Hot Rocks...some places they cover the ground. Some places have several kinds...

How do you deal with them?

Hey Fred. The Hot rocks at this spot for me are a nightmare with every detector... I'm no rock expert but I think they're mostly ironstone.  They all stick to a magnet and the bigger ones may as well be a slab of metal they REALLY stick to a magnet.  You can pick up a really big rock with your pick magnet.

I was trying to run my QED in my usual hottest settings which is the ground balance on it completely disabled, I wasn't able to do that at this location, I had to turn ground balance on and that seemed to do the trick on most of the little ones but the big ones were still an issue, at least you can see them and know it's a rock, the little ones you can't 🙂 

I've tried my GPX with Nugget Finder EVO at this spot and really struggled with it, between the power lines making it do UFO noises and the EVO picking up all the hot rocks I was driven mad.  I probably had to switch into Enhance and do something to deal with them, I don't know.   I asked on the forum at the time and nobody offered up any advice on it.

I asked JW and he was having a bit of trouble with the hot rocks too on his GPZ.

You'll see in the video I did once ground balance was enabled I was able to walk along over the rocks detecting without it going off constantly.

I didn't think about it at the time, when I wave the little nugget over the coil in my hand in the video the nugget was on edge because of the way I was holding it, still picked it up fine but lacked some of the depth I was getting when swinging over the coil with it in the bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1