Ganes Creek Dragline

Steve

This is for Steve Herschbach..  Hopefully this email will get to you Steve.

I have a couple of questions about Ganes Creek..  I actually worked there for one

season in 1968.     IF this is the correct Steve H, please reply if you have time.

Thanks

Jim

Haha, yep, you found him. I'm sure you will be seeing a reply shortly. 

Hi Jim,

Well, I don't know if I am the right Steve H as I don't know what this is about, but I have been to Ganes Creek many times and know the Clark family. I have lots of Ganes Creek stories with photos at this link.

I assume you worked for Warren Magnuson? I sold him a White's Eagle metal detector way back when that he wanted to use on the claims after they had found the other huge nuggets while mining. I don't know if he found anything with it though.

Here I am sitting in a dragline bucket on the edge of the airstrip at Ganes in May, 2002. Maybe you operated it! Click for larger version...

dragline-bucket-ganes-creek-alaska-may-2002-herschbach.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ganes was fun, since i spent a lot of time working at the nearby LRRS station i got to bum around there quite a bit... I met some of the miners and got permisssion to hunt other places, also. A friend that i worked with had a home nearby and raised his family there..I think about Joe Wittenkiller often and wonder what he is doing now...