Sporting Goods Store Detector Sales

I bought my Simplex + from a dealer and when this same dealer has the Vanquish I may buy it too . For the cost of one detector just last year I can buy two now for maybe less money.

Whatever I buy it won’t be coming from a Sports store. I can see me asking a sales person all the about the Vanquish and them reading off the box on what it had to offer.

I feel that the major cause of a detector finding it’s self in the dark part of a closet is because of no help after the sale.

Some years back my mom like going to garage sales and ever so often they would have a detector. The best one I got for 5 dollars and it still had foam in the battery box .

I’m one that don’t have to need a detector to buy it. I find myself the enjoyment of just having it . It has nothing of being better than one other that I have but just the claim to fame that I have have it in my hot little hands.

I’m the biggest kid you will ever see in a candy store where metal detectors are sold..

Chuck 

• Like 6

I kind of agree with your sentiment, but a also think about that pallet of detectors at Costco that people are saying is a pretty good detector for less than $100. Something like that is going to introduce lots of people to the hobby. Yeah, most will be used a few times and put away, but some will find a new hobby in their life. It will be their route to ending up in the specialty shop. Without the whim introduction from the cheap widely sold detector maybe they never would have.

I think both routes have merit. What I think is great is the availability now of cheap high quality detectors. Nothing will kill the new hobby idea in a person faster than a peice of junk detector that wont really detect much. A person that tries out that under $100 detector and enjoys it is a future customer for higher priced units. Many of them would have never spent $300 or $500 or $1000+ to try out a new activity they dont really know if they will like. But they will if they are already in the hobby and already know they like it and know what they want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

You're 100% correct, but do we really want more people swinging detectors? 🙂 the manufacturers do... but I don't know if we do :laugh:

There is a guy I work with, honestly a fairly simple guy intellectually,  that bought a Garrett ace 250 a few years ago. He has been out nearly every fair weather day since, has lost about 20 pounds, and is constantly excited about and talking about his finds. If all that joy and well being means there is less for me out there I just dont care. I know you were joking, but really it's so much better than spending a life sitting on the couch watching tv that yeah, I really do want people out there doing it if it's going to be a life positive. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Lacky said:

I know you were joking,

Sorry but Simon never jokes as he is always trying to keep people out of his fields of coins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

Sorry but Simon never jokes as he is always trying to keep people out of his fields of coins.

He's doing a piss poor job. He has half of us wanting to move there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lacky said:

He's doing a piss poor job. He has half of us wanting to move there.

I am updating my passport so I can go and search out some of his spots myself.

Problem is I don't know where he lives, and I think I will have to take his picture with me to find him.

59 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

I am updating my passport so I can go and search out some of his spots myself.

Problem is I don't know where he lives, and I think I will have to take his picture with me to find him.

He's given plenty of clues if you do some research 🙂

• Like 2

There is a couple dealers here, wouldn't hurt to buy from them. Certainly you will get more info on the machine and honest opinions more so than a large dealer looking to push machines out..

I can't tell you how many times people ask me about machines as they are interested in detecting and think their interests are sparked more by the tv shows. Once most find out how tricky it can be and the hard work behind it their passion fades and machines get shelved or sold.

Having been a dealer for 35 years I have a low opinion of most dealers these days. Many stock nothing and are merely middle men drop shippers. If you have a problem with your purchase, they tell you to contact the manufacturer. The majority know less than most of the members on this forum about detectors. I get messages constantly from people needing help with their new detector because their dealer is useless after they took the money and it fuels a lot of forum posts. When I sold detectors I NEVER sent my customers to the manufacturer for help. If a detector had a problem, I replaced it and I dealt with the manufacturer on the warranty issues. There are days I want to be a dealer again as it is so easy to compete against ones that think they owe the customer nothing after the sale is made. Folks, if they take your money they should earn it, and after sales service is part of that deal.

Frankly, were I a manufacturer I would ditch them and just go factory direct. Why split the profit with drop shippers? There are some rare knowledgeable dealers who do back their sales up with service, but they are few and far between. Given how poor most dealers are big box stores are no worse, and may actually be better at issuing no question asked refunds.

Having had my rant when I need stuff I deal with the few independent dealers I know who stand out for superb customer service. Many on active on this forum. :smile:

• Like 7

Possible to have those good dealers have their own thread on the forums? I know that if it wasn't for this forum and if I relied on the big dealers I would have made some horrible choices on stuff I recently purchased.

• Like 2