Sporting Goods Store Detector Sales

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As a dealer for 35 years I have a very low opinion of most dealers these days. Many stock nothing and are merely middle men drop shippers. If you have a problem with your purchase, they tell you to contact the manufacturer. The majority know less than most of the members on this forum about detectors.

Bingo.  I don't care whose selling me the detector retail shop or dealer, as long as the source is reputable and I am getting the best deal.  I’ll read a book, use the forum, or ask a fellow detectorist if I need after sale help.  That being said, it just so happens that the two primary dealers I happen to do business with generally do have the best deals, are knowledgeable, and I have also detected with them in the field.  I just consider myself lucky in that regard because I know that is generally not the norm.

Frankly, the biggest impediment to a newbie making detecting a sustained hobby is not the detector learning curve or after market ”support”.  In the US, at least, it’s restricted site availability.  In order to get sustained access you really need to do beach hunting, door knock, or have access to a network of detectorists or clubs or organizations that share sites or provide organized hunts.  Public access to detectorists is quickly being eroded by municipal laws prohibiting detecting due to misguided notions of what detecting is all about combined with really poor behavior by some detectorists (trespassing, not filling holes, etc.).  Detecting your lawn gets boring quick.  After that, once a budding detectorist realizes that most of the time he is going to be digging trash and junk (and how physically draining target recovery is, in general) even after he nearly masters his machine and does get access to productive sites, that’s usually the make or break moment where the hobby either catches on or the machine ends up in the closet.

• Like 4

There are a few good dealers still out there that are very knowledgeable and one I consider good friends well. But for the most part I've got to agree with Steve and Chase. 

20 years ago I owed a fly fishing shop, just before the big sporting goods stores got into it. We provide free instruction for all new rod purchases and answered any questions customers had. Most of my employees had vast experience in the sport and had used most of the fly rods available for purchase. They could then sell a fly rod to the customer to best meet his/her needs.

I never told my customers to contact the mfg I always took care of the customer and dealt with the mfg myself. Slowly the big boys started to move in and I could see the writing on the wall. Customers would come in to get information and then make their purchase at a big box store to save $50. Now that was fine for someone who didn't need help. But for those just getting into the sport it was a bad deal because we and other dealers charged $200 for a beginner fly fishing class that they would have got for free had they purchased from us.

Long story short most dealers today don't stock detectors and know nothing about what they're selling. I can't tell you how many times (outside of one dealer in particular) I've called to ask about a metal detector to be told they've never used one or don't have it in stock.

The people on this forum would make the best dealers but I'm sure most feel like me. They want to be out metal detecting and enjoying the sport. Not dealing with customers trapped in a shop.

• Like 5

I have a big problem with dealers that promise after sales support, especially with warranty issues, and then send you to the distributor for help even after you’ve bought several thousand dollars of gear from them.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

If you have a problem with your purchase, they tell you to contact the manufacturer. 

I can relate to that and that is also how I found this forum.

Mr Bill Crabtree was one of my favorite dealers.   He kept inventory of all kinds.   Sometimes when I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd call him just to see what he had laying around I might want to try out.   Often times he had something that caught my interest and I'd buy it just from him talking about it.  I miss folks like him.   

Of course you could resale pretty easy in those days too so it wasn't hard to get your money back and go another round.

HH
Mike

Yeah Simon, 

I know you have a soft spot for your Fisher dealer that you got the shovel from! Your a good man! The world is lacking in those!👍👍