Oops.....”leaked” My Tdibh

Tony

My cleaning regime after an ocean detecting session is meticulous but I got a little careless when I got home.

i always rinse the unit really well at the beach showers and always look for signs of water ingress immediately afterwards and everything checked out fine.

When I get home, everything is submerged in a long plastic tub full of warm fresh water where it soaks for about 15 minutes. I also add some mild liquid soap to help get all the salt out of every knock and cranny. I normally add the soap to the bottom of the tub and then blast the water in to get it mixed up......and THEN I place the detector in. Well today, I got careless and placed the detector into the bottom of the tub first and then for some unknown reason, proceeded to fill the tub with heavy water pressure.........yep........the force of the water got past the orange gasket and forced itself into the detector body. Luckily I noticed it straight away and no damage was done at all. I did have to disassemble the whole unit and dried it all out completely. Not too much water got in as you can see in the third photo. The biggest hassle is getting the gasket back on and securing the 8 screws evenly otherwise the gasket can bulge out in a few places.

Lesson learnt........go easy with the water pressure when using the snap on hose connector. I’ve only made this mistake once and didn’t get away with it. 
Anyhow, now you all get to see a disassembled TDIBH. Interestingly, the battery compartment is  completely separate from the electronics top half. As far as a waterproofness weakness.....it is the orange gasket but only from high dynamic water pressure.

Tony

A49221F4-75F0-4239-B3DC-A080E39B7A9B.jpeg

0883C243-5294-4F11-B6B6-A11181B0F84C.jpeg

928D08DB-B6E8-4F44-BC16-DA1C5D464DC0.jpeg

1CE3E43B-1859-4460-B2B3-CBBD1A650093.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Tony

As you know fresh water 🚿 water is no big deal but that salt water will make your detector history.

Years ago I dropped a Whites detector in a stream and it went under. I quickly picked it up and water came pouring out . I disconnected the batteries right away and then went to my car . I started it up with the heater going full blast . I had the back of it so the hot air was blowing in .

I wasn’t sure if that detector had not past on to where ever detectors go when they die . After about 20 minutes I stop the car and connected the batteries up .

Here is the rest of the story. I gave that detector to a friend and now going over 40 years that detector is still working.

Chuck 

• Like 3

I was in Lake Michigan with a White's IDX Pro and a big wave hit it. The detector stopped working. I turned it off and laid it out in the sun all day and it started working again. Shouldn't have taken it into Lake Michigan to begin with so be careful with your detectors lol.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:14 AM, phrunt said:

We just drove along holding it out the car window for 20 minutes to get back to the caravan which looked to have dried it out, then we put it's control pod in a plastic bag with some uncooked white rice and rubber bands holding the bag over the pod.

Good lesson for a youngster.  Most adults wouldn't know to do these but your daughter will remember for the rest of her life.

Why did they remove the bottom of the pots? Why didn't they just use sealed waterproof pots.

To make sure any water ingress does not soak the circuit board. Get some soldering sponge. It expands when it gets wet soaking up any water.. You want to place the sponge(s) in the box at the lowest level of detecting angle. This is where the water will travel to due to gravity.

There is a trick getting the top and bottom of the case together easily.  Don't put any silicone grease onto the o-ring until you set it in place.

Screenshot_2019-12-09 expanding soldering sponge - Google Search.png

Screenshot_2019-12-09 expanding soldering sponge - Google Search(1).png

• Like 3

Added note tighten the screws that hold the case and top together too tight. The mounting tabs  that hold the nuts and or screws  in place will crack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sven1 said:

Added note tighten the screws that hold the case and top together too tight. The mounting tabs  that hold the nuts and or screws  in place will crack.

Thanks Sven

Not sure about the pots but I made sure to only tighten the screws to slightly compress the O ring.