Bobbo

First-timer Headed To Holbrook, Az

Hello all,

My soon-to-be-fiancée and I are heading to Arizona in a few weeks. She's a Science teacher and loves ALL things space. I want to take her meteorite hunting but have NO clue where to start. For the folks whose ever been to Holbrook, I have a few questions:

1. Are there metal detector rental places nearby? We're flying in from Florida so I'd like to purchase/rent when we get there.

2. If we drive into Holbrook, are there maps telling you where to go hunt? I'll continue to look for GPS coordinates before I go. I've read folks talking about railroad tracks...

3. Are metal detectors the best way to find something? Can you "drag a magnet" or use the naked eye?

Thanks for any replies. ANY help will be much appreciated.

-Bobbo

This is your plan to impress your "soon to be fiancée"?  Tell me at least, you know how to operate a metal detector.  Please have plane B in hand.  I'm pulling for you big time.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

Holbrook is not a good place Metal Detecting for meteorites...very low free metal and usually very small bits....unless you get really lucky; and tons of trash!

If you do a search for Holbrook meteorites you will get some info....read what Bob Verish says.

Bill Southern's meteorite forum has loads of archived info...if you look....

https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/forum/4-meteorite-hunting-and-collecting/

Most are found by sight and confirmed with a magnet and other indications....

these are some I found...that is a one centimeter scale for comparison....

Expect to walk a lot, beware of private property and take warm clothes....if the road has not been improved you best be very careful.

fred

DSC00550.JPG

• Like 3

Fred has steered you in the right direction.  I've been to Holbrook at least 4 times.  The first time was in 2012 for the 100 year anniversary.   It is a LONG way from things and the meteorites are difficult to find.  

The 'location' is easy and I had maps when I was there but the identification of the meteorite vs the other rocks is difficult.  The first time I went there I had taken with me a big shop magnet.  That didn't help so I didn't take it back.

Send some messages to those on the meteorite forums Fred showed you and you'll get an update.  I haven't been there in about 3 years and some of the land had been cleared, some was private and the rains had moved things around also.

Mitchel

• Like 1

It's a bit cold right now but Gold Basin is the best, perhaps the "easiest" place to find meteorites. Still not real easy but for a beginner, may be the best place to start. Good luck with both pursuits.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input from everyone. I’ll keep researching and let you know how it works out. It sounds like I should just stick to Meteor Crater down the road and leave the meteorite hunting to you guys! Thanks again. 

Should you decide to go and try to find a meteorite I would suggest going to your local stores and purchase a inexpensive metal detector as they will locate a meteorite just as the expensive ones will.

Some times it is good to get out with the woman you love and explore things even if you don't find anything, you both will always have the memories.

Gold basin or Franconia would be where I’d go. Holbrook is tough.

Valen...perhaps any cheap detector will find iron meteorites.."certainly not most chondrites....

that is just a fact

fred

15 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Valen...perhaps any cheap detector will find iron meteorites..

Fred,

Sorry for the misinformation as I stand corrected.

I was thinking of the iron meteorites when I wrote that.

• Like 1