Should I Try To Drink The Koolaid Once More

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

there is no ground in which the Equinox is not going to be my choice.

Chase

I am starting to believe the same as you since making the update, and I only have 2 detectors.

My neighbors and some friends have told me that they wish that they would have purchased a NOX when they had the chance. I am the only person that I know of in my area that has one and I know with the help on this forum I someday will learn how to use it properly.

I wish to thank all my friends on this forum for their support, input and knowledge that they have given me.

With that said should someone want to learn how to properly use a NOX pay attention to the people here and learn from the best of them, the things this unit can do has surprised many people that I know and myself.

You can't go wrong with a Equinox 800 period.

• Like 3

Generally speaking SMF detectors can handle bad ground better then single freakers.  Cannot offer any advice on the audio as it's a completely subjective mind melding phenomena, but the EQ800 with the new iron program may give you some substantial benefits over the EQ600 IMO. 

Really appreciate all the responses. I've already boxed up my XP ORX and will be sending that out for a trade towards the EQ800. We always take a loss in these doings, and I really like the ORX but facts are facts. The Equinox 800 is a better machine in a lot of ways. This awful soil I'm running into is something that must be dealt with. Why not throw all you can at it? That's my plan. There is one place in particular I feel still has some goodies to give up and hunting with the EQ800 is going to be fun, even in the cold! This go round I'm giving it all my attention, and think it will be enjoyable to have more things to fiddle with vs the 600. Like I told my wife, we do not have anything right now that is really good for beach conditions or waterproof. Do not plan to submerge the control unit but those summer showers (the misty ones) have ran me off.. Not anymore!

Well, I hope I did not nudge you the wrong way! There are no perfect detectors, though these days a person can get close. Things like feel on the arm and audio are very subjective and mean more than most people give those things credit for. Anyway, given your decision do look at this thread and especially the video posted there. The video especially is superb for what you are desiring.

Minelab Equinox Tones & Advanced Tone Options

and some commentary here about the 50 tones setting may be helpful although in your case 5 tones is probably a better choice as you get more customization.

Hope you like the Equinox 800 better than the 600. If you are keeping your T2SE, you have your ground conditions covered pretty well. The T2SE with a smaller coil in bad ground can be a good combination with your Nox if you can settle the T2SE down and not run it too hot. It's a great relic detector and almost as good at separating targets in iron trash as the ORX. The T2SE and the F75SELTD with bigger coils in good ground are depth monsters......

good luck

Jeff

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Hope you like the Equinox 800 better than the 600. If you are keeping your T2SE, you have your ground conditions covered pretty well. The T2SE with a smaller coil in bad ground can be a good combination with your Nox if you can settle the T2SE down and not run it too hot. It's a great relic detector and almost as good at separating targets in iron trash as the ORX. The T2SE and the F75SELTD with bigger coils in good ground are depth monsters......

good luck

Jeff

I appreciate it. The 800 should give me enough wiggle room with the tone pitch settings to get it more agreeable with my caveman brain and ears. The T2SE isn't going anywhere. Matter of fact I just ordered a Cors Scout for it. Already have another lower rod to put that coil in. Once the 800 arrives I can charge it up and begin playing with it. Will probably be week after next before I get it. Have to ship my ORX out to be inspected and have it deemed "good" towards the 800 as a trade. I'm not worried about that step because it has been well taken care of. Not a scratch on anything, other than a nick or two on coil cover. Never seen water beyond on a rag to wipe off the coil after a hunt. Always kept a cover over the control unit too.

37 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would be surprised if you didn't like the Equinox 800, In saying that I agree with Jeff on the T2 being a depth demon under the right conditions.  I will never get rid of my T2's.  I've certainly settled on the Nox being my primary VLF though.

I think at this point it should work out for me. When I got the EQ600 earlier this year it was the first time I'd detected in over a decade. After spending a fair amount of time with metal detectors this year and actually getting out there, do believe I can learn an Equinox now. One thing I do know though, after having the little 6" DD coil with the 600, I don't think it will be something I buy again. I have the T2SE for cherry picking shallower finds with a small coil. When you get to a point you can even find a small rivet the size of a BB down to 4 inches I fail to see a reason in buying the 6" coil for the Equinox. The Equinox's mission will be to find deeper things I've been missing in adverse ground conditions. It will also be the detector I use anytime I suspect there is a chance of rain!

5 hours ago, RobNC said:

Really appreciate all the responses. I've already boxed up my XP ORX and will be sending that out for a trade towards the EQ800.

If there is any way you can still hang on to that ORX and still afford the Equinox, I would do it.   I just killed it a one of my favorite sites (more to follow) with the ORX (forced myself to just use it for a whole day rather than going to my old standby the Deus) and I am now starting to think that the Deus is really overkill for the way I use the Deus/ORX settings.  I really prefer the ORX user interface (save for a few quibbles).  I really think having both the ORX (or Deus) plus Equinox is a killer combination.

• Like 2

There has been some really good advice given about highly mineralized dirt. Dirt in my area is pretty bad and I've also been to Culpeper VA a number of times. I have both the XP deus and equinox 800 and which one I use depends on the conditions. That's if I'm not using a PI.

If you just have bad dirt with a moderate amount of trash I prefer the equinox. But if there's lots of signals to contend with I'll take the Deus any day. Compared to ORX you can really open the Deus up. And if there's lots of signal depth really isn't a concern. The audio on the Deus can be set in 3 tones 0 disc so that tones 1 and 2 can be set at 200 Hz and tone 3 at 900 Hz which is a spread you should easily be able to distinguish. I personally just find it easier to evaluate lots of signals with Deus vs the Equinox but they are both great machines and compliment each other.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, abenson said:

Compared to ORX you can really open the Deus up.

I have five years on the Deus and I help Andy Sabisch teach the bootcamp course for the Deus.  I once believed the statement above, after today, I no longer do.  The ORX can get it done as well as the Deus under any condition which just really leaves the tone tweaking you mentioned, which is really a non-issue for me because I use Gold Field or pitch tones and can easily get away with just the 3 tones option that ORX provides.  I really am not left wanting with the ORX so far.  I understand you were trying to provide perspective to RobNC regarding the additional audio adjustment capabilities of the Deus (what you were referring to by opening it up), but I really don't think it is worth it for him to upgrade to Deus just for tone tweaking.  His money is better spent on the Equinox, but I do recommend he hangs onto the ORX.