Minelab Pro-swing 45 Harness

Look at the Generals setup....

Mmm I don't know about the diaper though.

You might be able to go try a bunch of military backpacks I use the Eberlestock one's, they are a quality American made product and they all have attachment points on the shoulders for your bungee cord. But pretty much any military hydration type or day pack will do the job nicely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You must be joking! Do you mean that we must develop some type of gantry to enable us to swing this monstrosity? What about the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide a user friendly product?

The problem is that lack of competition has led to this situation where the manufacturer who has a technical advantage does not need to compete. They can be as lazy and slack as they like, and have a 'like it or lump it' attitude and get away with it. Get rid of any critics in favor of 'yes men', and cruise to a world beater reputation. Any competition can be dealt with by farcical legal action designed to overpower by way of superior finances.

Every dog has its day.

• Like 1

Reg…….I do agree with you. I am 68 years old. I bought the SDC 2300 in hopes I could swing it all day. I find myself pretty worn out after the first couple of hours and really lose interest in digging every target after that. All I can think about is dam my arm hurts! I thought I might try something to help bear the weight. I wanted the 7000 but thought I should try the 2 pound lighter sdc first.

I come to Arizona every year to hunt gold for 6 months. Night after night my arm is so sore from swinging that thing I can't hardly sleep. About 2 hours is all I can take. Lately I would have done just as well looking for those sun bakers. I can do that all day.

They need to make that GPZ 7000 as light as the Monster so us old guys can have some fun too. 

Minelab needs to make the Minelab Pro-swing 45 Harness in different sizes or at least have a hip extension belt. They must have the same engineers as the airlines do. 

• Like 2

I have adapted four different harnesses to my GPZ-was my GPZ....

My favorite was adapted from one that Arizonaoutback sold for a few years...I never liked the Minelab Harness because it was way to hot for me. However, I had one from a gpx so I cut and hacked and sewed until that worked-mostly I wanted the shoulder straps which provide excellent support...

If you make or increase the belt size be sure and buy the heavy-duty nylon belt...

I have weighed up to 220 and the standard length was getting pretty short...had to keep the belt under the belly, if you not so skinny guys know what I mean.

a hip stick and doc's bungee will put new life in your detecting....

fred

This pic was a year or so ago when I tried detecting with a dust mask to please my Doctor...that stayed on a about five minutes...total failure!

DSC01293 (1).JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

I have adapted four different harnesses to my GPZ-was my GPZ....

My favorite was adapted from one that Arizonaoutback sold for a few years...I never liked the Minelab Harness because it was way to hot for me. However, I had one from a gpx so I cut and hacked and sewed until that worked-mostly I wanted the shoulder straps which provide excellent support...

If you make or increase the belt size be sure and buy the heavy-duty nylon belt...

I have weighed up to 220 and the standard length was getting pretty short...had to keep the belt under the belly, if you not so skinny guys know what I mean.

a hip stick and doc's bungee will put new life in your detecting....

fred

This pic was a year or so ago when I tried detecting with a dust mask to please my Doctor...that stayed on a about five minutes...total failure!

DSC01293 (1).JPG

Fred…..I guess I don't understand. You use the hip stick with the minelab harness?

Steve, you may not remember, some 4-5 (or more?) years ago during a very rainy few days at Saw Tooth when the road got washed out, you had your trailer, me and a friend met you on the road. I had mt 5000, you let me swing the 7000, I commented how heavy it was and would never buy one, but I did and do not regret it. I still use the 5000 in narrow washes, steep hilly areas, the 7000 on flatter ground. I have adapted a harness that I like when using the 7000, still heavy, but I do like the gold it finds. Hope to meet again someday now that I know who you are. Thanks for this great site. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, Bill

but I modified it to suit my needs...that is not the Gpz harness but one from the 5000 or earlier...I will try a better picture, if I have one...

first is one onf my harnesses....speakers, enhancer, Hipstick and previous version of oc's Bungy...

second pic is a Minelab modified harness. That was  a cold day on a push in Nevada...if you increase the size of the pictures you can see more detail.

I should mention that many people use a pack with a water bladder, waist belt and d-ring...these work for the hipstick and bungy....

fred

FullSizeRender.jpg

DSC02200.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jin said:

Hi Billdean, 

This dosnt address the size of the harness but more so my opinion of the pro swing

I couldnt wait to use the pro swing harness after i bought my gpz. What a disapointment.

Its pretty simular to the normal minelab harness except for the struts in the back which presumably take the weight of the detector,  were as your shoulders usually take the weight. Also it has a cross beam thingy that is suposed to centre the weight of the detector rather than have the weight of the detector fall to one side of your body. 

The first time i used it felt so uncomfortable. I watched enless videos on how best to set it up and got it adjusted to suit my size but i wasnt happy. Even tried the setup described in Martin Stone's youtube video on Pro Swing harness setup.

The biggest problem i encountered was the design of the pro swing when swinging the heavy zed actually pulls you forward slightly. The weight should be transfered to your hips but it isnt. At the end of the first day (after it was adjusted properly) my lower back was rooted. 

I then proceeded to remove the cross beam and the two j struts which made the harness more like the original minelab harness. Then fitted my hipstick and away i went. Even swinging my 20" X-Coil is a breeze now. I can detect all day with minimal fatigue. 

Ive also got a water bladder backback that has hooks near the shoulder that will accomadate the hipstick and that also works well.  

100% agree. Hipstick is still the best resource available!

• Like 1

Hey Bill. Mate I`m not your weight yet but I`m certainly on my way to getting there. These photos were taken a few years ago and I`ve put on a fair bit of weight since then.    I may have a solution that will work for you.  I have no idea about Minelab harnesses because the last time I wore one was when the SD 2200 came out.   I wore it for about three hours on the first day and since then every detector I have resold the harness was un used.
   Years ago I happened to score a out of date confined space recovery harness. This thing came with leg straps because it was, well, a recovery harness, but I didn`t need those so I cut them off, and I`ve now been wearing this same harness since the GP3000 came out.    The beauty of this thing is it only has the one buckle across the chest.   
       I have always found this harness very comfortable, just above the chest strap are  metal rings that join the harness together and I use one of them to connect the bungy for the 7000 and this harness takes the weight of the 7000 no problem.    This harness carries everything I might need for the day, the black pouch on my left shoulder has a WM12 in it but I now run twin shoulder mounted WM12`s.  On my left hip is a pouch that carried the GPX battery but now carries a snake bandage, fly net and stuff like that.   Oh, and in those photos I was recovering a point oner. Dave

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 2

Starting to think I might be the odd one out...but I'm sure I'm not. As for the detectors, yep they are heavy, but not heavy enough to be a worry (for me) The harness works well and is comfortable (again for me) and negates the weight. I don't feel trussed up or tied to the machine. The proswing runs rings around the old ML harnesses and I quite like it.

Just like anything else... cars, tools etc if something is not quite right, I adapt and find a work around until it is.

I would have much preferred 7000 performance and tech in the old GPX style set up. But I won't blame ML for giving us what we got. They read forums and listened to what the majority wanted and gave us exactly what they asked for..... CTX style, battery included, GPS. wireless.... They even sold it to us at a price we said we'd be willing to pay.

Not what I would have asked for, but it works and works well especially when used in conjunction with the 2300

• Like 6