billdean

Minelab Pro-swing 45 Harness

Have seen a number of setups like what I will try and describe, the idea being to put the weight back on the belt ( my comment).

Basically a flat Al strip ( maybe thinner steel) about 2 inchs wide 3/16 thick is bolted to an AL strip on the belt offset say 2 inches from the minelab fabric support  that goes up your back. This AL strip goes right up your back and from memory about 4 to 6 inches above your shoulder, then right angle  about 6 or 8 inches to the front that the occ'ie strap/7k detctor is connected to. Where the Y section is on the Minealb back strap, another AL strap is bolted to the Minelab fabric at the Y section then bolted to the vertical AL or steel Strip.

You, like myself maybe skeptical of this arrangement, but this setup is in use by a number of 7000 operators.

Peter

• Like 1

All this is totally unnecessary. Instead of palming of some cumbersome converted military mine detector with minor modifications onto the prospecting fraternity, and a message of 'kiss our arse in gratitude', and then coming up with a pathetic truss to support the weight of this ill begotten monster, they could have designed an ergonomic prospecting specific detector.

I just can't believe the way this cynical opportunism has been accepted by the detector public without so much as a whimper. They say that you get the politicians that you deserve, well that must apply to detectorists as well, and if so, we must be a bunch of suckers.

Steve's been calling out for a light weight PI nugget detector for as long as I've known he existed.  I didn't really understand it until I really got into detecting and started doing days of detecting in a row, over and over again and it really becomes a big issue and I'm only in my early 40's  I right now have a sore arm from using my GPX yesterday.  I commented to JW at the time when we were detecting that this thing is damn heavy, I'd had become used to using the QED and Equinox lately and forgot how heavy a GPX is.  He wisely said I should put my bungy strap on to help with it's weight as I had it wrapped around the shaft and he's right, I should of had it on but I have a real issue of being attached to things.   It's just another cord attaching me to the detector and I feel really annoyed by all the cords getting in the way.  It's party why I never wear headphones, the cords, that and my ears get hot 🙂

I fell over the other day with my detector strapped on my arm after slipping on a big wet slippery rock, it was my detector or me so the detector had to take the beating from the fall.  Luckily it was the QED so it was only my arm strap keeping me and the detector attached, if it was my GPX and I had the cords everywhere the fall may have turned out very different.  It was on a steep cliff edge.  I've had to order a replacement stand for my QED due to this fall which the manufacturer was prompt in sorting out for me and very happy with the result there.

Sure, we put up with this stuff as options are so limited but they don't really need to be.   Most electronics have been getting significantly smaller and lighter over the years.  Some of these detector companies make outstanding detectors there no doubt about it, where they are lacking is putting it into a lightweight small package, particularly with the high end gold machines.  I understand they don't have the funding of Google or Apple or any of the big players in the electronics game but I guarantee you if they were making detectors they would look nothing like the big bulky heavy things we often swing today.

What surprises me is the manufacturer of the QED can do it, the impression I get is it's from his house, yet these big companies with factories pumping out hundreds if not thousands of detectors haven't done it.

It's long been talked about limits have been hit on how certain detecting technologies like VLF's and depth and so on have virtually reached their current technological limits but that's in performance...they could now put their efforts into weight and ergonomics and we'd consider it a good upgrade.

Even battery technologies are getting smaller and lighter.  Hopefully they start to focus on ergonomics on the next round of detectors.

It's good to see the likes of QED and now Fisher with their new PI beach detector doing ergonomic light weight PI detectors, hopefully this trend continues, none of us are getting any younger, it only gets harder 🙂

I'm not trying to attack any detectors or brands or anything, I'm sure there isn't a person who uses any detector for days on end that wouldn't prefer it be lighter and easier to swing.

• Like 5

Look at the Generals setup....

Mmm I don't know about the diaper though.

You might be able to go try a bunch of military backpacks I use the Eberlestock one's, they are a quality American made product and they all have attachment points on the shoulders for your bungee cord. But pretty much any military hydration type or day pack will do the job nicely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You must be joking! Do you mean that we must develop some type of gantry to enable us to swing this monstrosity? What about the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide a user friendly product?

The problem is that lack of competition has led to this situation where the manufacturer who has a technical advantage does not need to compete. They can be as lazy and slack as they like, and have a 'like it or lump it' attitude and get away with it. Get rid of any critics in favor of 'yes men', and cruise to a world beater reputation. Any competition can be dealt with by farcical legal action designed to overpower by way of superior finances.

Every dog has its day.

• Like 1

Reg…….I do agree with you. I am 68 years old. I bought the SDC 2300 in hopes I could swing it all day. I find myself pretty worn out after the first couple of hours and really lose interest in digging every target after that. All I can think about is dam my arm hurts! I thought I might try something to help bear the weight. I wanted the 7000 but thought I should try the 2 pound lighter sdc first.

I come to Arizona every year to hunt gold for 6 months. Night after night my arm is so sore from swinging that thing I can't hardly sleep. About 2 hours is all I can take. Lately I would have done just as well looking for those sun bakers. I can do that all day.

They need to make that GPZ 7000 as light as the Monster so us old guys can have some fun too. 

Minelab needs to make the Minelab Pro-swing 45 Harness in different sizes or at least have a hip extension belt. They must have the same engineers as the airlines do. 

• Like 3

I have adapted four different harnesses to my GPZ-was my GPZ....

My favorite was adapted from one that Arizonaoutback sold for a few years...I never liked the Minelab Harness because it was way to hot for me. However, I had one from a gpx so I cut and hacked and sewed until that worked-mostly I wanted the shoulder straps which provide excellent support...

If you make or increase the belt size be sure and buy the heavy-duty nylon belt...

I have weighed up to 220 and the standard length was getting pretty short...had to keep the belt under the belly, if you not so skinny guys know what I mean.

a hip stick and doc's bungee will put new life in your detecting....

fred

This pic was a year or so ago when I tried detecting with a dust mask to please my Doctor...that stayed on a about five minutes...total failure!

DSC01293 (1).JPG

• Like 2

It's just a topic people are clearly passionate about.  I think sometimes it just gets frustrating when detector companies don't listen to their customers about something to most people is very obvious, heavy cumbersome detectors are a problem.  I think if Minelab released a new GPZ version 2 that was a lightweight model with nothing changed in performance people who already own a GPZ who can afford to do so would upgrade solely for the lighter detector.   The SDC is also a well known chunky detector and Norvic took it upon himself to make a more light weight model out of his SDC but should people really have to go to those extremes? It would be a lot easier to Minelab to make a lighter model of it for people than people hack up their own.

What are the EZ Swing harnesses and other similar alternatives like? They're a lot cheaper.

1521789278_EZSwing.jpg.ca06b329b91be0721d1ff2de234b3e63.jpg

I actually bought a cheap Chinese harness for my T2 when I first got the 15" Coil for it, I've never used the harness, it was only about $15.

1719865911_Chineseharness.png.eaf97c3a0760b0cd3a34db5cc3ac4b99.png

I should try it out just to see what it's like, I've never bothered to use it as I never used my T2 15" Coil, I can't stand the thing 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

I have adapted four different harnesses to my GPZ-was my GPZ....

My favorite was adapted from one that Arizonaoutback sold for a few years...I never liked the Minelab Harness because it was way to hot for me. However, I had one from a gpx so I cut and hacked and sewed until that worked-mostly I wanted the shoulder straps which provide excellent support...

If you make or increase the belt size be sure and buy the heavy-duty nylon belt...

I have weighed up to 220 and the standard length was getting pretty short...had to keep the belt under the belly, if you not so skinny guys know what I mean.

a hip stick and doc's bungee will put new life in your detecting....

fred

This pic was a year or so ago when I tried detecting with a dust mask to please my Doctor...that stayed on a about five minutes...total failure!

DSC01293 (1).JPG

Fred…..I guess I don't understand. You use the hip stick with the minelab harness?

Steve, you may not remember, some 4-5 (or more?) years ago during a very rainy few days at Saw Tooth when the road got washed out, you had your trailer, me and a friend met you on the road. I had mt 5000, you let me swing the 7000, I commented how heavy it was and would never buy one, but I did and do not regret it. I still use the 5000 in narrow washes, steep hilly areas, the 7000 on flatter ground. I have adapted a harness that I like when using the 7000, still heavy, but I do like the gold it finds. Hope to meet again someday now that I know who you are. Thanks for this great site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I'm all for making life easier, and I was on the prowl for a place to buy a swing arm for my GPX that wouldn't cost more for shipping than the arm itself and stumbled across this

From this shop in OZ
      https://prospectorspick.com.au/store/#!/EASY-ARM™-for-GPX-Series/p/130090965
      EASY ARM™ is another product developed by Sweet Spot™ for the use on hand held implements to make the job easier.
      This can do away with the use of a harness allowing you to spend more time detecting by reducing fatigue.
      The EASY ARM™ is attached by simply sliding into the end of the upper shaft near armrest.
      It looks alright except I'd feel a bit like a Cyborg using it and with the amount I put the detector down to dig I'd be worried it would be annoying to take off and put on all the time.
      I don't want to get old and be too screwed up to detect from years of bad detecting practice.

• By DDancer
      Its a silly question but I am curious to know how many use a bungee or other support system while out bush or even in a park?

I use just a standard harness and bungee pretty exclusively as it reduces wear and tear on my person   The advent of the Zed kinda makes it imperative to me now.   I gain extra control of my coil, regardless of the machine, and I don't have to worry about dropping it to take a break~ or that someone will try to grab and run with it. 
      Silly question but I'm curious to ask.
    • By fredmason
      I tried a couple of methods to balance and hang the detector from my harness and hipstick. These pics show clearly how I did it. Attaching the bottom of Doc's bungy on the right and then bringing the top connector through a d-ring on the left does a few things. This attachment helps eleviate some of the twist that the detector wants to do, it keeps the bungy in line for maximum lift and control, you can turn the detector loose and it won't fall to the ground and it makes swinging the detector very easy on worn-out wrists and elbows. Also, it keeps the bungy up and away from my fairly large hands...comfort and convenience thanks to the Hip-stick, Doc's Bungy and a little modification by me...
      fred

• By normmcq
      Not ever been a user of a heavy detector, I didn't have to use any support system but wished I had when using a large coil. Now with the ZED I can't detect with out a bungee being attached to a harness or a Hip Stick. Even a bungee has a learning curve. The habit that I got into was to disconnect it from the machine, as it was always out of the way and I could grab the eye and attach it to the detector with out looking. One problem, I didn't always get the right end, then reversing it and readjusting it was taking away from detecting time. My cure, take some electrical tape and close the adjusting end of the bungee.                                                                                  Norm
    • By karelian
      If memory serve me correctly as a 17 year old I found myself swinging a Garrett A2B in one arm, the other arm holding a pick over my shoulder. No hat, no water, not GPS, just enthusiasm.
      Those days are long gone, getting back into electronic prospecting I found myself using a sling bag, it held water, gps, phone and a 5w handheld radio. A small pick hung off it and until I got myself a larger pick it was adequate. Problem was that I always had a reason to return to the car for something, which ate away at my swing time. I needed to equip myself so that I could operate for hours without needing to return to the vehicle. The addition of a decent size pick forced me to adopt a rig that allowed a large degree of independence. A molle battle belt and suspenders combined with a heavy duty leather belt formed the basis of my prospecting rig. A leather holster for the large pick, first aid kit, two way radio, GPS, phone, water bladder and water bottle, etc. I can simply add or detract as circumstances dictate. In remote areas I have a Personal Locator Beacon and additional safety gear, at other times an Ipad and phone replace the PLB. Snake first aid kit at all times, one in the car and one as part of the permanent first aid kit on the rig. I always leave trip information and details with family before going out, keep my first aid training up to date and maintain my gear, with particular care for keeping the car up to spec at all times.. 
      I can now go out detecting without needing to return to the vehicle for a whole day.  No more time wasting going back and forth, more swing time results.. safety and convenience.
      Pays to keep the gear mounted on the rear panels of the belt away from the front, less interaction between the detector and stuff. Easier to bend and dig. The water bladder carries 2 litres of water with ice cubes to keep it cool all day. The weight goes unnoticed and the pick is back far enough to not interfere with the detector. Set the rig up correctly and balance your load, the weigh disappears..
      The rig in the pictures is my second attempt using a better battle belt and harness. Easier to thread the leather in and out between molle panels to hold the leather pick holder. 
      Because of this rig I tend to wander off further and further, making the GPS and a map even more essential. The GPS to mark the location of the vehicle and to mark interesting locations, the topographic and geological map allows trip planning on the go.
      All a far cry from the 17 year old swinging the Garrett A2B with nothing but a pick.. All the best, Karelian.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Well out of the blue Doc or Doc's Detecting Supply of Las Vegas sent me a goodie bag with some product to look over. Thanks Doc! Before I begin I want you to know I did not request this stuff. In order to not look like I am trading favorable comments for gear I am going to use this stuff as prizes in various forum contests I have planned (best finds, etc.). All these goodies Doc sent me will be finding new homes in the near future so stay tuned.
      I already have a few of Doc's products. I have one of his original Swingy Thingy support harnesses from over ten years ago. I don't use it per se but it remains in my detecting kit at all time "just in case". This is cool because Doc sent me the latest version of the Ultra Swingy Thingy to look at, and they are light years apart. The old one is little more than a strap and bungee. The new one is a full harness system.

Original Swingy Thingy detector support harness
      I also have been using Doc's cover for the GPZ 7000 since the cover came out at the end of 2015. So I am already a little familiar with the product construction. I have not used my GPZ 7000 without that cover since the day I got it. It is a very well thought out protective cover system and I could not be happier with how mine has worked out.

Doc's protective cover system for the Minelab GPZ 7000
      Here is a look at the new covers for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and Minelab Equinox 600/800 models. The two covers are very similar.
      Before I forget, I want to mention that I always apply a stick on screen saver to my metal detector displays before installing any of these loose fit type pod covers. Dust and grit will get into the inside of these covers no matter what you do, and the dust between the inside of the covers and the screen can abrade the screen. I look at the pod cover as a protective cover for the entire pod, but not ones that eliminate the need for a screen protector. If you have gone without and had no issues that's great. I still recommend using separate screen savers and always apply them to my new detectors before they ever see the field.

Docs' cover for the Minelab Equinox (left) and Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (right)
      The Equinox cover is a two piece affair, with a cover for the display pod and the armrest cup. A new arm strap is included. The Gold Monster cover includes an additional item in the form of a small cover for the upright support post.
      Again, new arm straps included. For those that do not like using an arm strap Doc includes a couple small velcro stick tabs that allow you to attach the cover more firmly to the arm cup using the velcro tabs.

Closeup of armrest cover showing cordura nylon and stitching details
      Here is a little closer detail of the pod cover for the Minelab Equinox models...

Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Equinox metal detector
      The cover simply pulls down over the top of the pod once you disconnect the coil, then make the coil connection again once the cover is installed. Two velcro straps wrap around the bottom and back of the pod to pull it down and attach it firmly in place. Two velcro sticky tabs are included for those who wish attach the cover to the pod via internal velcro tabs. This could help keep the pod from shifting in place but most people won't need them. A nice touch is the little bit of stretch material forming a band that holds the charger cable more firmly in place while in use.

Equinox pod cover detail showing charger cable in place
      As you can see in the photo above I put the cover over the little cap and strap that protects the physical headphone port when not in use. I never use wired headphones out of water and so this worked for me, but if you wanted easy access to the headphone plug port you would want to route the strap over the cover instead of under it.
      The cover has two slots on each side to allow access to the Equinox pod side buttons. The thickness of the cover requires you push the tip of your finger into the slot to push the buttons, but this is easily done.

Side view of Equinox cover showing button access slots
      The Gold Monster pod cover is simpler, just pull over and secure with a velcro strap. As noted the Gold Monster cover set includes a cover for the upright battery compartment support post - see the first picture in the post.

Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000
      The bottom line is I found both these covers to be well designed and constructed. Visit the Doc's Detecting website for the latest information on pricing and availability.
      Doc included the latest version of his Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee. Earlier versions I saw had a kind of bolt on attachment for the detector rod. This latest version attaches to the detector with a velcro strap clip not unlike the one that comes with the Minelab GPZ 7000. I really like this type of attachment since it will work on any rod size with no issues. What makes Doc's bungee unique is the quick adjustments at both ends of the bungee.

Doc's Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee
      This is a nice stout bungee, and one that can be rigged to support almost any detector from any backpack or rucksack shoulder D-ring attachment point. However, for those in need Doc has made the Qweegle Bungee an integral part of the new Ultra Swingy Thingy harness.
      The Ultra Swingy Thingy is basically a large "Y" or yoke. One wide padded strap goes down your back and attaches to your pants at the belt line. The strap splits behind your neck and drops large padded straps over each shoulder.

Harness rear attachment point
      The front padded straps end in adjustable steel clips that attach the harness to the belt line of pants exactly the same way that suspenders work. There is also a front cross-strap at chest level to tie both sides of the harness assembly together for a snug fit. There are two super oversize rings on each shoulder, either one which can act as an attachment point for the Qweegle Bungee.
      Click photo for closer view...

Details of the Ultra Swingy Thingy Harness with Qweegle Bungee
      This, simply put, is a really great detector support system. Here is Doc's sales sheet below for the harness which has all kinds of details about the product.
      If anyone has any questions on any details of these items including any requests for any photo details - please just ask. And like I noted, all these items will be featured soon as prizes in various contest activities I plan on offering to stir up a little more action on the forums. Thanks again Doc for this surprise package. Keep up the good work filling in the gaps in available detecting gear for the avid detectorists among us! ?
      Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy - click image fr larger version