Equinox 6" Coil Connector Repair...Update,Fixed!

microsniper

Hey all, I just found my coil connection sheared off at the control housing. (oops, and bad timing as I was just headed out!)  Luckily no damage to the control housing connection but the other end was bent and broken right off... 

I sent some photos to minelab to asses if they will fix it or not but still waiting.    I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to buy this connector anywhere?    If minelab wont fix it then I will end up splicing one on myself and hope for the best (minus the water tightness of course) .   Any help would be so appreciated!  

fullsizeoutput_247.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_246.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I habitually save anything that might be useful. This was the connector off a prototype coil I had to destroy so I cut it off and saved it. I have so many extra Equinox coils the chance of me needing this is zero so may as well go to somebody who can use it.

Yeah, I’ve left stuff out before a splice... infuriating! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same thing happend to mine.  I got clumsy and did it to myself.  I was down in Quartszite at the time.  So I had Bill Southern order me a new one so I could get back at it.  Also my control housing survived the beating.

Microsniper, let us know what Minelabs response is.  Thanks

Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate the support!   Ill report back when I hear from Minelab and Ill snap some shots of the surgery and reconstruction when I get into it.    And yeah, iv done the heat shrink fail myself too thanks for the reminder!    Thanks again Steve!

• Like 1

Rather than cutting and splicing on a new connector end of the cable to a cable, it may be better to add on a new connecter.  These have screw terminals for the wires.  You may want to tin the wires or use ferrules so the wires hold well in the screw terminal.  Fill the shell with grease or epoxy to ensure waterproof operation. Think I have some in the shop.  Could sell you one for $15 shipped.

DSCN2589.JPG

• The title was changed to Equinox 6" Coil Connector Repair...Update,Fixed!