New Orx Or Second Hand Deus

unox

No wireless headphones should not be the deciding factor. There's been many good reviews of the ORX. It is basically the same detector with less features. My opinion a new detector is probably the way to go because you don't know how much care they took with the batteries, coil in particular. You might want to shop around at the dealers. i saw somebody with a good sale going on the Deus--two coils. More dollars but it might be the way to go. If you are happy with the machine you are going to use it more and that means more good stuff in your pouch. You have to contact the dealer to get the best unadvertised price. They are not allowed to show their discounted price.   

• Like 2

I would get the Orx. It's an easy to use very powerful detector. After using the Equinox for 2 years I switched to the Orx and sold my Equinox. It is very hot on gold in both gold modes.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the ORX was designed primarily as a gold nugget detector. Probably a real good idea to check around on the forums to see if other people are happy with the features or lack thereof. You might even ask some people. Stuff like iron volume adjustment may not seem like much but in a trashy area might make the difference in being able to work the area or not. The Deus can work those areas better than most, that means you'll make finds where others can't work. 99% of my finds are in areas others have already worked. 

My opinion spend the money on what you really want. Pay Pal credit usually offers six months free interest, and if like me you can get a credit card offer to transfer that balance for another year or more and pay it off slowly with no interest. There are some good sales going on now, coils, MI-6 pinpointer (get one for sure).

• Like 1

Being a Deus user for the last five years (and assisting in Deus Bootcamps half that time), I can definitely say the ORX can get it done as well as the Deus for relic hunting.  For pure coin shooters in parks, on the beach, or in fields, the myriad of tone options on the Deus are advantageous but not essential IMO.  

See my real world comparison here including the story behind these finds...

20191214_170223.thumb.jpg.526ecbe9b28bfd4af82e9ca16695d489.jpg20191214_170230.thumb.jpg.2c57f1caa1dee1cdcbebeb3e0b236399.jpg20191214_170255.thumb.jpg.1bd96302b34231993c018f214919e71f.jpg

• Like 4

That's just what you have to decide what you can deal with. Iron volume will mask some targets. This is nothing to do with XP detectors. I realize some people dig it all. I didn't read this whole thread carefully to see you were after relics. With practice you can hear the zip-zip sound of a good target in the Gold Program. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Confused by these statements.  How does iron volume mask targets?

I learned that one from Garrett's. maybe i didn't explain it properly. Not even sure i can. Too much iron and it drowns out the good targets, makes it harder to keep your concentration, ear fatigue.  Add to that what i've read on the forums--people want iron volume control like on the Deus. 

• Like 1

You do have iron volume control on the Orx.  It is just not a three step volume control.  You can turn it on or off as desired (in the event of audio overload).  I always keep iron volume at 3 on my Deus anyway, so it is no different on the ORX to me.  Again iron volume level control just as the Deus tone tweaking options are a nice to have but non-essential features.  Iron volume on or off is essential, however, otherwise you can’t fully take advantage of discrimination.  IMO the delta in features between the ORX and the Deus is not commensurate with the price delta, making the ORX a great value with out having to give up many, if any, essential performance features.

• Like 3

Thanks again guys, I still haven't bought anything yet. Unfortunately in Australia there are no good deals on new ones anymore, I don't recall us getting the offer of a free pin-pointer either😭. The prices have risen over the last couple of months, a new ORX now comes in at $1399.00 with wireless headphones. A little to expensive for me at this stage, I really think headphones should be part of any deal with detectors... I am pretty disappointed because they are $150 dearer than earlier this year.

cheers and merry Xmas guys

• Like 1