New Orx Or Second Hand Deus

unox

Gday guys, I have the opportunity of buying a used Deus for a little less than a new ORX. I have been mulling over this for weeks, does anyone have any advice. I really only want an XP to be able to put it into a backpack, trek into the bush and use it for relic hunting, and a little gold here and there.The warranty factor is something that is swaying me towards the new ORX machine...but I know the Deus has many more features and options. I already have a Equinox 800 for beaches, coins and relic's but I am just wanting something easier for a few locations where I want to travel in stealth wise.

So pretty much the question I am asking what would you do, Buy a S/Hand Xp Deus or Buy a new Xp ORX with the desired coil (round hf coil) and Warranty.

cheers guys.

Is it a full Deus with remote control or a Deus Lite with just the round controller and what coil comes with it?

My opinions after owning both and the Equinox too:

ORX is great for gold prospecting, excellent for relics and good to very good for coins and jewelry.

Deus is very good for gold prospecting (with the right coil and software version 4.1 or later), great for relics and very good to excellent for coins and jewelry.

I am not very familiar with your coin responses on the ORX and Deus.

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unox said:

Gday guys, I have the opportunity of buying a used Deus for a little less than a new ORX. I have been mulling over this for weeks, does anyone have any advice. I really only want an XP to be able to put it into a backpack, trek into the bush and use it for relic hunting, and a little gold here and there.The warranty factor is something that is swaying me towards the new ORX machine...but I know the Deus has many more features and options. I already have a Equinox 800 for beaches, coins and relic's but I am just wanting something easier for a few locations where I want to travel in stealth wise.

So pretty much the question I am asking what would you do, Buy a S/Hand Xp Deus or Buy a new Xp ORX with the desired coil (round hf coil) and Warranty.

cheers guys.

What coil are you  getting with the used Deus package?  If it is one of the legacy (i.e., pre-X35) style Black LF coils your best bet is to go with a new ORX package.  If you are getting a white HF coil or an X35 coil, then that sounds like a good deal provided the coil size is big enough to give you tge desired depth and/or swing coverage.  The reason being, the HF coils or X35 coils can be operated at least as high as 25 khz whic is a sweet spot frequency for gold and/or mid-conductive relics (e.g., brass and lead).  The maximum frequency the old legacy black LF coils can be operated is 18 khz.  It makes a difference.

• Like 1

HI Jeff, the Deus has the elliptical HF coil with it, it also has the remote control and no headphones. I was thinking maybe getting the round 9 HF for the ORX if I go that way. Our coins ring in pretty high, at least the old silver and copper coins do anyway. Our decimal coins 1 and 2 dollars come in around 20-22 on the NOX.

4 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

What coil are you  getting with the used Deus package?  If it is one of the legacy (i.e., pre-X35) style Black LF coils your best bet is to go with a new ORX package.  If you are getting a white HF coil or an X35 coil, then that sounds like a good deal provided the coil size is big enough to give you tge desired depth and/or swing coverage.  The reason being, the HF coils or X35 coils can be operated at least as high as 25 khz whic is a sweet spot frequency for gold and/or mid-conductive relics (e.g., brass and lead).  The maximum frequency the old legacy black LF coils can be operated is 18 khz.  It makes a difference.

Thanks Chase, the deus comes with the HF eliptical coil, I also noted that the HF coils can go down to around 15khz so that would be low enough for some areas and targets I hunt. But like you said the 25khz spot is where I think I would most likely use it. Some places I have hunted with the NOX I have had to turn off M/F and just use 20 -40 khz as the ground was just so noisy and the machine worked wonders on single Freq in that particular area.

• Like 1

The Elliptical HF coil is a great coil. For all around use and a little more depth I prefer the HF round coil.

No back phones or headphones? So you won't have wireless audio with the used Deus........are you sure?

The XP Deus and ORX wireless audio options are really one of the major pluses for those detectors especially if you have the audio adapter which lets you use other higher quality wired headphones without being tethered to the remote control on the shaft. You can always just take the remote off the shaft and hunt with audio only too. That's too bad. 

If you decide to buy the ORX get that audio adapter too which fits on the back of the back phones round volume controller. It is worth it.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to New Orx Or Second Hand Deus

Thank you guys for your help,  yeah no wireless headphones with the Deus either Jeff. I am thinking I might get the new ORX with the 9 HF round and wireless phones... I also get the 5 year warranty which is a bonus if something goes wrong.

Thanks again for your help guys:)

You may also check into some deals that are being offered by some dealers like a free MI-6 wireless pinpointer included and the audio adapter.  

It took me awhile (too long in my opinion) to get used to both the Deus and the ORX. Aside from the threshold based all metal gold modes on both detectors which I liked immediately, I basically had to "hold my nose" and get used to the discrimination modes. I have finally got to a place where I am used to the ORX 3 tone audio and and am liking the Deus audio more and more. Hopefully you will click with your ORX a lot quicker than I did.  Spoiled forever by the Equinox.....

Jeff

Lately, the ORX/Deus (I recently obtained an ORX as a backup to my Deus), have been my preferred machine over the Equinox for serious relic detecting.  I can just hear the ground better for non-ferrous targets and it gives me a better feel for the target footprint since I primarily use the gold/gold field modes vor relic hunting.  The lack of tone pitch and breakpoint customization on the Orx vs.the Deus for the discrimination modes, though not a fatal flaw, is disappointing.  I like the Orx large pop-up Visual TID and iron probability display vs. the Deus, though I wish the program navigation button was two-way on the Orx like it is on the Deus so you can toggle back and forth quickly between adjacent programs whike interrogating targets.  Lest one thinks gold mode is just for gold, here's a an old Mexican 1850 1/2 Reale that sounded great on my Orx.

Bottom line, I think you will be happy with that Orx as a compliment to the Equinox for coin and relic hunting.

FB_IMG_1576233648210.jpg

FB_IMG_1576233656301.jpg

• Like 3