Digital Scales

rled2005

Anyone know the best bang for the buck for weigh scales, from experience? I’ve been looking at re-loader scales.

Yeah, I really didn't put much thought into it. I just bought a scale, basically a cheap afterthought while buying something else. It's ridiculous how cheap and simple scales have become compared to just 20 years ago.

• Like 1

They cost $20 forty years ago. The trouble was all the weight you had to carry to balance the scale as well as finding a flat surface to use it on. Gold was only $100 an ounce.then. 😉

• Like 1

I bought this one a few months ago and for 8 AUD they`re not bad. On a 2.8 gram nugget they are spot on and on a 4 ounce weight they are out 0.4gram

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electronic-Pocket-Mini-Digital-Gold-Jewellery-Weighing-Scales-0-01G-to-200-Grams/183677486390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

Don’t go too cheap! If off a grain or two on a nugget just a loss of money but on re-load could blow up in your face . Now that gets personal real quick.

Chuck 

• Like 2

I used digital powder scales for inexpensive accuracy, good to 1/10th grain (1/4800th oz) and just convert for home use or buying and selling. I have an older version of these RCBS powder scales, AC or battery operated with calibrations weights, will weigh up to 750 grains (1.5625 Troy Ounces).

rcbs-rangemaster-digital-powder-scale.jpg

For general field use and anything but buying and selling I have been very happy with the US Magnum 500, will weigh up to 500 grams (16 Troy Ounces) and is accurate to 0.1 gram. It can weigh in Troy ounces, pennyweights, regular ounces, grams, grains, and carats. Compact with lid that doubles as weighing tray, comes with calibration weight, battery operated - and available at many places online like Amazon for less than $20.00

I have an older version with buttons in a square pattern, there are versions with buttons are in a round pattern as below. 

us-magnum-500-digital-scale.jpg

• Like 1

Ha! If it don't weigh in grains, penny weights and troy ounces than it aint suitable for weighin' gold. The exception would be my Fairbanks Morse dock scales that I use for the bigger stuff.

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

for general field use my cheap digital scales are fine

Same here. I bought an inexpensive scale from Doc (U.S. Balance) nearly 20 years ago and I can't imagine a circumstance outside of lab work where it would be inadequate.

• Like 3