Simplex Battery Questions

Hi all! I'm new to metal detecting, and am looking to upgrade my machine soon. I got into detecting in September, when I got my harbor freight 9 function detector. I've had a lot of fun and have made some great finds. However, with all the clad and silver I've found, I've been thinking of upgrading, that's when I started hearing about the simplex.

MY first question is if I buy a simplex, how do I get the battery replaced if it ever goes bad? What about after the warranty expires? Am I correct in my understanding that it's internal and has to be replaced by nokta? Is it possible to replace the battery myself?

Second, is about coils. Is it possible different coils will be available in the future?

Finally, headphones. Is it possible to buy the base model now, and buy noktas wireless headphones later? I currently use some cheapy ear buds, but want to be able to upgrade later, so want to be sure and get the correct variant. 

Thanks

If the battery failed under warranty you would send it in to be replaced under warranty. If it fails down the road you would send it in and pay to have it replaced. No price has been announced for this. It’s obviously not impossible to do it yourself, but probably not advisable.

It has already been announced on this forum that more coils are forthcoming, as has the fact you can add the wireless headphones later. Aftermarket phones will not work, only Nokta/Makro phones. Check out previous threads on the subject for details, but there is not much to know beyond that.

4 hours ago, Mr Swing king said:

Finally, headphones. Is it possible to buy the base model now, and buy noktas wireless headphones later? I currently use some cheapy ear buds, but want to be able to upgrade later, so want to be sure and get the correct variant. 

Couple things here.  Note that if you use third party wired phones, you will need to use the Nokta proprietary headphone connector adapter that is included in the base wired Simplex model package and the jack on that adapter fits a 1/4” plug, so if you are using wired cell phone style buds, you will need yet another mini jack to 1/4 inch plug adapter in line.  Ugh.

Anyway, I highly recommend going ahead and getting the wireless package now, not only because wireless phones are a game changer in convenience, but also because it will likely save you money should you decide to eventually go wireless down the road because you are likely to be able to find a dealer who can give you a hefty discount on the wireless Simplex package vs. paying full price or close to full price on an a la carte wireless headphone buy as as a stand-alone accessory later.  

One caveat though, unfortunately, Nokta decided NOT to include their $25 wired headphone adapter in the wireless Simplex package though it IS included in the wired package (which makes sense because you need to supply your own wired phones).  So if you get the wireless Simplex package and want to use wired phones with the Simplex, for example, in rainy conditions (the wireless phones are not weatherproof, though by design you can use a rain hood while wearing them) or as a backup in the event your wireless phones’ battery drains, you have to spring extra for the adapter or get a pair of compatible wired Nokta phones (like their waterproof model).

Regarding rechargeable lithium ion batteries.  I have been using them in multiple detectors and detector accessories for the last 5 years and have not yet had the need to replace one yet.  Embrace the convenience of that technology and rest assured that you are covered by a warranty in the mean time.  Since you purchased your first detector a mere 3 mos ago and are now seriously considering upgrading, it is highly likely you will be moving on to the next best thing before your Simplex warranty runs out (2 years) and almost certainly before your Simplex battery dies of natural causes.

Vendor replacement of such batteries outside of the warranty period usually runs in the ballpark of about $35 to $50 dollars depending on the material cost of the battery.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents of advice and info.  GL

• Like 3

The Simplex+ battery is Lithium Polymer (LiPo) not Lithium Ion, similar but not the same. The battery is visible in the tear down photos.

It looks like only four screws holding the control box together unlike the Equinox, which is sealed. However, it appears the access to those screws is under the face plate/display so I guess it will boil down to how easy it is to pry that off without doing damage.

• Like 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Please give us some info about yourself in the meet and greet!👍

I think the Simplex+ will be a significant upgrade to your Harbor Freight detector! You might also consider the Minelab Vanquish, depending on your needs!

But i am curious what the HF  looks like, and what kind of finds you made with it! Was it dig everything? Etc...👍👍

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Simplex+ battery is Lithium Polymer (LiPo) not Lithium Ion, similar but not the same. The battery is visible in the tear down photos.

It looks like only four screws holding the control box together unlike the Equinox, which is sealed. However, it appears the access to those screws is under the face plate/display so I guess it will boil down to how easy it is to pry that off without doing damage.

I did tear down my Simplex. The faceplate  hiding the crews is a very thick decal, You do need to be careful prying it off. Separating the case halves without proper tools and not starting at the right place can damage the plastic case edges. It's not difficult otherwise to replace a battery. If the Simplex is still under warranty and has battery issues, let the service center do the job. If out of warranty, the choice is yours to make an attempt and possibly damage the circuit board or again have the Service Center do it. Added note, there is nothing a consumer can adjust on the circuit boards to increase performance, it is all done by computer processor software. So please, to  those who think this is a tinkerable detector, think again. Stay out of the internals....this is not a Tesoro.

zzzz.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like you could load the Equinox software on there and you'd have an Equinox, make it dual boot, and you could run either 🙂

• Haha 1

Very cool pics. I was thinking the battery would be twice that size and put into the shaft of the grip. Interesting. 

Mr Swing King looks like its been awhile since this was posted. If you still looking for a simplex id be glad to help ya get one.