Finally Got Out

After 2 weeks of lots of work, I was finally able to get to the beach for a hunt. I was hoping that I could try the 18” DD coil I just bought for the GPX. The area I did well at with the 14” coil, was even more sanded in and that defeated the purpose of comparing it to the 14” coil to see if it could find something else there. But I did use it for a while, and it was heavy. I put a side arm on, to offset the weight and that worked, but trying to carry a bigger shovel and holding the arm did not work well at all. It seems I will have to get a bungee harness set up for any coil larger than a 14”.  So, I brought the Equinox out and hit a patch of rocks that I later found out was being pounded days before. I heard it was a good section. I did ok, considering the amount of sand and other detectorists that hit this beach regularly. Junk, clad, possibly some silver rings, 2 Mercury dimes, a nice 14K earring and some good observations. First observation was that some iron was encrusting the small stud earrings. That’s not new news, but it only happens sometimes, and you need to pay attention to those times. That leads to the second observation, which just seemed like some junk jewelry trapped in the salt/sand mixture. But at home I noticed it looked gold and did not show any signs of being plated. It may be a low karat jewelry that was not mixed with copper, or the usual green copper encrustation was already gone. The other problem on this beach are the black rocks. Not all the black rocks respond to the Equinox, but the ones that do read a solid #1. That is the exact number that a lot of fine gold rings and chains ID at. But it was nice to get out and hunt for about 6 hours. 2 silvers and possibly 2 gold for me is a good hunt and worth the long drive.

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

DSC00129.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

DSC00137.JPG

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

A very successful hunt, thanks for the post.  I hope to one day be able to put a post up in the "metal detecting for jewellery" section 🙂

Ya know, you will actually have to start digging junk signals for that to happen. Actually eventually you will find a gold ring that rings up at exactly the same number as a coin, but you are limiting yourself if jewelry is a goal.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

A very successful hunt, thanks for the post.  I hope to one day be able to put a post up in the "metal detecting for jewellery" section 🙂

It's a lot easier on a beach to get jewelry then at a field. Someone probably will lose some playing there, but it will be a lot rarer to find. Even though we all want you to start digging those different signals, in your situation, with almost NO competition, you are better off hitting new areas and getting the silvers first. You can always go back and look for jewelry later. If we do that here in the states, when we go back we will see a million holes in the area we wanted to hit "later" 😓

Nice variety of digs my friend.  Interesting as how some folks will tell you that gold jewelry is never crusted over or does not tarnish.  Thanks for sharing.