Minelab Equinox Battery Replacement Instructions

Get the full scoop with photos at the Minelab Service Parts website. So far nobody appears to be selling the 3011-0405 battery but someday it will be something to possibly have to deal with. So far though I've not heard of any battery longevity issues... mine still give me a full day service and they are the oldest in the country.

minelab-equinox-replacement-rechargeable-battery-3011-0405.jpg
Replacement Minelab Equinox battery with battery door/plug (separate part)

• Like 9

The battery looks like a single 18650 with leads soldered on. If the replacement battery isn't pretty cheap I'll probably be looking to diy when the time comes. I can't see myself wanting to pay $100+ when I have a dozen of them sitting around the house.

I feel it is awesome that Minelab has posted these instructions on battery replacement.  Not many companies share this type of information with their users.  This just goes show they really care for their users.

Note that the Minelab battery has 3 leads and the 26650 has 2 leads.  The third wire may, possibly, be used for temperature sensing to protect the battery.  My guess is it would be wise to purchase the replacement battery from Minelab and get the right number of leads and the connector already installed.

• Like 1

Point taken, and it's a good point, but I use mine less than many. By the time I need a replacement I expect there will be plenty of detailed tutorials out on exactly how to do it.  The internet is great for some things, and I'm not the only DIY type person out there.

Obviously if minelab prices the replacement at double the cost of the battery or less it's a no brainier, I'll just buy the replacement,  but if they do the typical 4x+ price I'll figure it out.

More than likely the cell has shrink wrapped into it a protection circuit (Chip) to prevent over charging/discharging. Its a single cell so there  is no need to balance charge like the multi cell LiPO batteries. Will be hard to tell until someone removes the shrink wrap and exposes what's underneath. Could also be a empty lead if the battery charging circuitry in the detector is designed accordingly.

But agreed until more facts are known I;d stick with OEM replacement, LiPOs are a fire danger if handled improperly while charging. 

Edit;

I have a fair amount of experience with LiPO batteries in the RC and Ham Radio hobbies I partake in, but not claiming to be a authority by any means

• Like 3