GB_Amateur

Unusual Coin Find ( Long Post )

That's is one of the more unusual error finds I have seen in the wild.  Like you said, condition is always the determining factor in any desirable coin.  It is certainly an "Oddity"!  Nice Find!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Thanks 1

Looks like there was a struck penny that didn't eject from the die properly and got flipped causing the next planchet to get a reverse strike from the already struck penny. Should be worth something, great find.

GB, I didn't realize you posted what I said but only with more accurate detail. Well said.

• Thanks 1

The real value is what you get from finding it. The money value is what your kids get for it. 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever happens, Great find GB!

I hope you get it conserved and graded if you think its even remotely real! Look forward to updates of your progress!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great find, and yes I have seen one other of these at a coin show that went for a few hundred dollars. I know that theirs were in better shape, but yours has character.

• Thanks 1

I am always amazed about your knowledge of coins. It’s good you looked at it closely before tossing it into the clad pile.  Cool find 

strick

• Thanks 1

Very interesting find and analysis GB. The proper identification of finds is half the fun of this hobby!

• Like 1

I'm no expert by any means,  but like you,  I feel it is a genuine error coin.  Keep us updated when you get more info.  Now I need to go back through 40+ yrs of clad coins looking for an error.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By goldbrick
      It had been a year since I had a chance to hunt with my friend Strick. We finally were able to  get together for 4 days of relic/coin/ring detecting.
      On day 1 we went to an old standby location (ghost town) we had visited many times in the past. Strick found 2 silver coins, an 1876 and 1877 Seated Liberty dimes in the space of 1 hour. I found a few buttons.

Day 2 we took his boat up the Delta to a party beach where I hunted in the water for the first time ever. I had a blast using my CTX 3030 just wading up to my waist. I found 2 silver rings which beat the costume jewelry Strick got so I was the king that day.

On day 3 of my visit with him, we were off to a private property in the low Sierra foothills of California to meet up with Strick's friend, the ranch owner, and detect an early gold camp. We have been hunting this area for a few years when our schedules will allow. The last time I was here with Strick he had found a Quarter Eagle and some seated coins while I had only found buttons.
      On this day things were not looking so great for me as I had only found one nice button and the usual assortment of period trash while Strick had scored a nice cast buckle wreath. We had just taken a break and had compared finds with the ranch owner, discussing the "whatizits" we had found. It was getting later in the day so we went back to detecting. I had earlier got into an area with quite a bit of scattered iron which developed into a nail bed which was obviously the remains of an old structure. So I returned to the heaviest area of nails which was about 250' away from the location of Strick's gold coin, and was carefully searching through the machine gun iron signals when I hear a definite signal but scratchy signal on my Deus. It was jumping around depending on which direction I swung but was repeatable. Just another bullet or cartridge I think as I pop the plug. Then I see about a quarter of a gold coin sticking out of the plug as it crumbles. I didn't stop to savor the moment or reflect on my find like you hear so many times. I started screaming like a 14 year old Valley Girl, " I found a gold coin" and waving my arms at my friends who were a short distance away. The coin was an 1849 Half Eagle. It has been my fondest detecting desire to find a gold coin and now I had realized it.
      On the journey back to Stricks I looked up the value of the coin as people always ask. I didn't much care as I did not plan to sell it but that is usually the first question from family and friends. I had not cleaned it well or looked at it too closely but I knew it had some wear so I figured a ball park figure of $500?
      It wasn't until we returned to Strick's place that he was looking at it through a low power microscope and he says" Her headband doesn't say liberty it says Moffat". I had never in a million years ever dreamed I may find a Territorial coin but I knew in an instant that I had just scored the find of my life.

On Day 4 we went to a location of an old military base. Strick has taken buckets of military paraphernalia from there and  he scored again. I found 2 pieces but they were severely corroded. 
      I would say this has been the best detecting trip I have ever been on due to finding the Territorial Half Eagle. All the thanks go to my buddy, Strick and the ranch owner for getting me on that location.
      I will ask Strick to post his pics of his finds.

• By IdahoPeg
      Hey Guys! Remember this thing that I found on Florida’s Treasure Coast a couple weeks ago and posted about? I was so disappointed there were no visible markings to link it to the1715 Spanish Fleet that sunk during a hurricane.

Well, I decided to carefully try to separate the silver sandwich with a paring knife, and was successful with minimal damage. The inside surfaces were dark and thick with corrosion but I kept working on them(rubbing on wet aluminum foil did the best...very time consuming. I don’t have an electrolysis setup yet). 
      So glad I did it! I’ve definitely found my 1st Pieces of Eight finally (1/2 Reales likely)! Minted in Mexico between 1700-1715 during Philip V’s reign in Spain, if my research is correct.

They may be little, but I’m tickled pink with them! 🙂
    • By DukeBoxer
      Last year I moved down to Costa Rica and brought with me 2 Tesoros, the Compadre and the Mojave, and an Equinox 800. I've been dying to get to the beaches but we live inland from the north west coast beaches and we've recently opened a little restaurant in our town so there's not much time for me to get to the beach. I decided if I can't get to the beach I'm going to detect the soccer field in the center and try to get permissions from the people with old houses in town. The other night after I closed up shop I tossed some stuff in the car and pulled out the detector and walked across the street and started going at it. I found a bunch of coins,a button and some nice sounding aluminum and then I got a signal that hit right where all the coins hit, about 19/20. I thought it was another button because it had what looked like a shank on one side but I was seeing a wreath and thought it could be something good. Then when I cleaned some more dirt off and saw the 900 I knew I had something great! I think it was used as some sort of jewelry, maybe hanging off a bracelet because there's a dot of solder right in the middle on the reverse and what I thought was a shank turned out to be silver wire. It's smaller than a dime, maybe the size of a half dime but I've never seen one. It's 1 gram of 90% silver. In the year I've been here it's the best find I've made

• By Ridge Runner
      I went to this school yesterday but that detector went south as in not working correctly. So here I am again but with the ORX.
       I don’t think the kids that go to this school has ever seen a coin large than a penny. That ORX was hot on their trail . It did detect a dime of a total of three but not one quarter.
       So remember I’m not RR anymore but just call me Penny Digger .
       Chuck 
    • By Denny
      Been hitting the dried up river and haven’t found anymore gold other than the one I found in November.   So I decided to go for the silver.  Dug up 2 silver coins in a littered  gravel area.  Not bad for a New Year’s Day hunt.
      The MDT is good for park hunting also.  Dug a deep 1888 V nickel close to 10 inches. My CTX couldn’t do that.  

Settings:   At the dry river.    Sens 9 max, threshold 0, mixed mode, blacksand on, 9khz or 18khz.
      park: sens 8, threshold -1, mixed mode, blacksand on, 18khz.  

• By Gerry in Idaho
      We take pride in our finds and many of us display them in a man caves, on our work desks or even give some away as gifts.  But we also enjoy sharing the fruits of our labor and the photos bring back so many memories.  Now that the 2019 detecting season is over, I'd like to share my 3 favorite finds from the year.  But what is even more cool is seeing your hard work and efforts show up for everyone to see.  Yes I realize a few folks think it has all been found, but we can show them recent finds from the 2019 year.
      1st favorite find of 2019 is a really rare Barber Quarter.  In fact IT IS THE RAREST of Barber Quarters minted.  I have not had it professionally clean and right now it looks like crap, but of all the coins I have dug up in 40+ years of metal detecting, this is by far the rarest (40,000 minted).  It is a 1913-S.  it was found with a Minelab EQ-800.

2nd is a gold nugget Specimen that weights over 7 ounces and has 3.55ozt of gold in it.  Found with Equinox 800.

3rd favorite find has to do with skill and it was given back to the owner.  After 2 different people tried to find a small diamond stud earring with no success, I was called in as a last result.  Actually I had been out of town.  Anyway, this small 1/4 carat diamond stud was lost in her backyard and she had the spot narrowed down to a 5' area.  The EQ-800 with small 6" coil in the Prospecting Mode recovered it.

Lets see 3 of your favorite finds of 2019.
      May 2020 be golden in so many ways with many golden grins & glory.