Equinox 800 First Hunt Today

RobNC

Great hunt for the first time with it, so keep it up and maybe next time show some pictures for us.

Also some gold rings show up at the 14 ID, if your interested you may want to do some air tests with your rings and things.

Yep my first (and so far only) gold ring I found on my first outing with the EQ800 and it was a non-wavering TID#14 and turned out to be a really nice 18K gold ring.

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Good start with unit Rob.  Your journey has just begun.  Rings can ID generally between 8-15.  Bigger class rings higher, even into penny range.  Nice thing about Nox.  And imo one reason so many gold rings are located using, is folks chasing nickel signals get rewarded.  Those 11, 12s and 13 signals can pay off.

Thanks for sharing. 

9 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Those 11, 12s and 13 signals can pay off.

I honestly can't tell you how many of those I have overlooked, and now I need to go back to those spots when the weather permits.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:06 PM, Tnsharpshooter said:

Those 11, 12s and 13 signals can pay off.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:35 AM, 2Valen said:

I honestly can't tell you how many of those I have overlooked, and now I need to go back to those spots when the weather permits.

Yet to find gold in this region of the TID scale with the Minelab Equinox but I have with other detectors (e.g. Minelab X-Terra).

It's probably just selective memory but it seems the Equinox has a penchant for ID'ing things right on top of the US 'nickel' coin!  Pencil ferrules, beavertails, the internal flap on aluminum drink cans with square tab (why, oh why do they break even those off?!), various pieces of can slaw, some pieces of lead (e.g. certain size fishing sinkers), and even some Northern Nevada hot rocks!  If you asked me to make a list 20 items long I'm sure I could do it.

Like many of you I often play a game of predicting what I'll be recovering when I see the TID.  12-13 is the US nickel sweetspot but I get fooled at least half the time when I see a clean signal there.  Last week I was getting pretty consistent 13-14 and predicted "broken square tab".  Out popped a nickel.  At that point I hoped it was a silver Warnick, but no such luck.  Likely it was (nearly) on edge and the 14 was coming from swinging perpendicular to its edge (along its axis).  I never really know until I dig.

I, for one, am quite thankful when a previous detectorist ignored the nickel zone.  If they were picky maybe they also left me a few Indian Head pennies (typically below most bronze Lincolns and in the aluminum screw cap / high end of Zincoln region).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I have owned my 800 since Mar 2018. 

"Gotta say the EQ600 I had earlier this year ran NOTHING like this unit. This thing is smooth and I can understand it."

Just curious can you go into more detail about why you you think the 600 is nothing like the 800? Not trying to trash the 600 but never had one and I always wonder what the difference is from the 800.

thanks

john

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They are actually the same detector, just the E600 is "feature limited". Set exactly the same performance should be identical. That being the case Robs first unit may have had an issue of some sort.

I have both units and have hundreds of hours on the 600. I hunt em both 50 tones (default tone pitch of 20) and I haven't seen any difference in depth/performance, etc. I'm pretty much using them at like-for-like settings since I don't care for the customization of the tone bins. But glad I have the 800 just in case I NEED A LITTLE MORE from the settings....but so far that has not been the case. 

• Like 2