New Guy Here, Been At It Awhile...

Monster

I enjoy forums that contain INFORMATIONAL posts which pertain to detecting. We all want to get “better” and be more able to go find what we are looking for at will. While this isn’t always the case, the more tools in the mental toolbox, the better odds we have, and I’m an “odds” guy. 
This forum isn’t new to me, I’ve been reading it for a few years. Where other sites go stagnant is when the same types of posts get put up OVER and OVER and OVER....and the SAME people respond with the SAME response....”Killer finds!”...”Great job!”....you know the ones....a guy had been hunting for 20 years and STILL puts up a EVERY Roosevelt he finds....where is the progression? 
I love minds that think outside the box while still adhering to the principles of detecting, which keeps things within the confines of reality. Stories get mighty tall sometimes, and it leads others who aren’t quite as savvy or experienced astray. It even leads people who know better to question themselves or their equipment, which can be quite damaging. This forum seems to be moderated quite well and even questioned when it needs to be by other members, and that is a GOOD thing! Sometimes in our enthusiasm for a new machine or a great find, we can tend to embellish the story, I’ve caught myself a couple times doing this back when I was a mere noobie. I of course realized that fiction wasn’t my thing, and to preserve my own integrity while telling the story, I had to present the situation with complete honesty. It doesn’t always make for the best and most exciting reading ever, but it’s REALITY. Most of metal detecting is hard work and drudgery, really. What keeps it fresh and exciting are the possibilities of what we might find, and the better tech and info we have out there, the more exciting it is!

Thank you Steve for a great forum that not only entertains, but TEACHES. I can never get enough of that!

• Like 2

Well it sounds like you have been around the block with 20 years detecting. If you add all of us here that’s been detecting it’s got to be over a thousand years.

Like I tell all please jump in to express your opinion. Some of us been around longer but that don’t make us always right.

I wouldn’t want my wife to hear what I just said to you.

The Best!

Chuck 

Lol! Chuck, I have been hunting 9 years, and it didn’t take me awfully long to make the hop from looking for lunch money to figuring out OLD COINS. While some days I think I’ve got the world by the nards, there’s always something that slaps me back to reality. Learning from others and from other’s experiences has helped me to understand the “why” many times. Some stuff is so flighty that it’s hard to say why or why not you’re doing well or not on a given day...but it’s the stuff within my control I try to concentrate on. After the first couple years I had quite a pile of clad and was sure I was an expert. A few years after that I realized that in the first two years, I had only scratched the surface of a MUCH bigger picture. 
If it’s one thing that has catapulted my hunting from clad to old coins, it’s multi frequency. I’ll leave that for a different topic perhaps, but that’s been the game changer in my area. Anyway....good to be here!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum,

Your off to a good start! Look forward to your experiences!👍👍