Fisher Impulse AQ Low Pulse Delay Range And Salt Water

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well one thing for sure now - no Impulse AQ under my Christmas tree! :sad:

fisher-impulse-aq-beach-jewelry-metal-detector.jpg

Just noticed the pulse delay ranges from 7 to 12 in comparison of the TDI 10 to 25.  Now this is for the salt water environment and not for dry land "Terra".  I might surmise the 12 would be more than adequate for the salt water hunt but on my TDI a pulse delay of 17 1/2 is required.  Always good the ponder why!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:49 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Just noticed the pulse delay ranges from 7 to 12 in comparison of the TDI 10 to 25.  Now this is for the salt water environment and not for dry land "Terra".  I might surmise the 12 would be more than adequate for the salt water hunt but on my TDI a pulse delay of 17 1/2 is required.  Always good the ponder why!

I'm a little surprised you just saw that Mark as the super low 7 uS pulse delay setting has been one of the major features promoted on the Impulse AQ. It is the reason making the coils is difficult compared to most PI detectors leading to the oversize cable, etc. The machine should rival the Minelab SDC 2300 for small gold sensitivity with the right coil in a non-salt environment, and get as close as is possible in salt environments with fine tuning. Notice the fine tuning available in the settings below.

You raise an interesting question. The White's TDI manual does say "you may need to turn the delay up to 15μs to eliminate the salt." It may be the salt is being eliminated as part of the ground balance wizardry going on here to create the discrimination system, but then what about all metal? One has to assume the 12 uS max setting is enough, but like you I wonder how that is versus what is known about the TDI.

fisher-impulse-aq-control-panel.jpg

• Like 1

I knew about the pulse delay of 7 but had never noticed the 12 on the scale.  I'm so interested in seeing how the land version handles the relationship between iron and high conductors.  Silence iron and still hear the silver!  Maybe not but it doesn't hurt to dream.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

withes preferred a higher delay
just because it's easier to manage

and easier to calm him down
impulse AQ / starts at 7us
the other possibilities are there, for extreme cases
EMI significantly higher than normal
extreme mineralization or volcanic beach

playing on sensitivity
on recovery speed / SAT
rejection mode
it is very easy to get a perfectly smooth threshold

and with a very low delay
greater sensitivity on gold

the TDI had a different specification
multi-use detector / beach / nugget / relic
silver coin search = delay 20/25
on different types of terrain

impulse AQ has been developed
with one goal / to be the best on a gold ring = at the beach  🙂

• Like 8

LE.JAG could you please give us the latest update on AQ? Last you said its in production.I have a mail from the Fisher saying that there is still no announcement. Give us GOOD news please!!!!! Thanks 

No release date has been announced and it would not surprise me if they haven’t decided yet. LE.JAG will know when Fisher announces it, if he has any “inside” info, I am sure he will respect that it is competition sensitive information and keep it to himself - just like I would.

It is coming - when - nobody who knows will say and anyone who says, doesn’t know.

• Like 5

At this point they missed the Christmas selling season so it does not matter much from a marketing perspective at the moment. A spring 2020 release along with other machines like the new Time Ranger Pro would be a good reason for a website revamp and a new set of 2020 literature. The website in particular is really looking dated. FT should hire me as their webmaster/social media guy - I would kill it! :smile: There are probably more moving pieces here than we are aware of.

• Like 8

Up to this point it's been a whole lot of vaporware.  Building handmade one off prototypes is one thing, consistency at production quantities while dealing with stray reactance is a whole other kettle of fishies. :rolleyes: 

Perhaps some consultation with Howard Johnson, no not the 28 flavors Johnson(Blazing Saddles 1 flavor), rather Dr Howard Johnson signal propagation consultant.  I found his research quite informative when dealing with parasitics.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1