Got a break in the weather today, it has rained for the past two. The last two days before it rained I found very little, I thought the field was "drying up". Today I realized why - it had been a week or more since it rained, so I think the ground lost conductance - it dried up! I should probably revisit my last couple of grid walking days. I have been averaging 3-4 buttons a day, and today was no exception. I also find a lot of shoe buckle parts. There was a lot of foot traffic here from the 1700s on, I am trying to find out why.
Also learned today to follow more faint signals, especially those that go up in tone which may or may not give an initial VDI. I am using field 2, 50 tones with the horseshoe on. I found the large ornate piece about 12" down, one of the deepest holes I have dug. It started out as a faint 13, and ended up a solid 19. Same with the 1884 Indian head, it was faint probably due to being on edge. The rising tone above all prompted me to dig.
The smallest button is stamped GILT off center and appears to have some of its plating still. It was a solid 14, the same VDI my wedding ring gives. The biggest mystery is the heavily corroded button, it has lettering on it, and shows some brass or gilt, but it is so far unreadable.
Fun day and a great learning experience! There were hunters all around me rabbit hunting, gunfire and dogs everywhere.
Another thing of interest is the very large furniture tack next to the twisted copper ring. The field is full of them, all sizes and some with very sharp pins. Copper boat nails are common as well.
Hi all, 10Hrs on the Nox 800, but been detecting for 35+years on audio machines (Seahunter XS500, SD2100 and Excaliburs) where ears and experience do all the work.
I have been asked to look for a reasonably small (1/4 inch) filigree platinum and ice stud earring, 2 year head start in a flowerbed. As much as I love the Excal as my goto machine, this is where the Nox is definitely the right tool for the job, and it's going to be tough going and happy to have the sens screwed hot so it's chatting away to itself. Fortunately no EMI.
Looking to more experienced folks here for suggested tweaks to the defaults to maximise signal for this. I don't have a matching item to test on. I am estimating it'll be no more than 1" down.
Soil is highly weathered basalt loam, homogenous low levels of background iron and bauxite enough to twitch the signal in pinpoint mode. Will be using the 6" rather than the 11" mophead due to Fe trash.
Appreciate any useful intel on this.
Cheers, and thanks.
I have an F22 with the stock 9” elliptical concentric coil that I like taking out every now and then. Mainly playgrounds and parks. I probably get most things within 6”. I’ve dug some good deeper signals occasionally but most good signals are within that 6” range which is adequate. I do use the iron audio occasionally, tot lots with mulch I did everything above the weed barrier.
I’ve been wondering about the Fisher alternative coils like the 4” concentric for some really trashy areas around shelter. I’ve also seen come across some posts where folks refer to a 5” DD coil but unclear which one. The F5 and F75 have that option but it is not on the charts as compatible with the F22. I’ve also seen aftermarket 5” DDs and other options. I figure depth loss should be minimal with better separation.
Looking for insight from others that have used alternative coils on these detectors.