Hearing Aids And Detecting For Gold

MSC

On 12/18/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

I sell a lot of detectors to people with hearing loss and in most cases have found hearing aids to be ineffective for detector use unless the person is extremely deaf, they tend to lift everything especially wind noise, birds calls human voices that type of thing which tends to drown out the Threshold. 

The key to detecting with hearing loss is to be able to ‘hear’ the threshold pitch, if you can hear that in all conditions your fine. Most men have hearing loss in the higher frequency range so I usually suggest they use a lower threshold pitch. In my case in my younger days I used a threshold pitch of 60 but since my late 40’s have found a lower threshold pitch of 40 is better (I actually go as low as 20 in the right conditions especially when I’m chasing low/high deep nuggets at depth). Too low a threshold pitch (below 40) and I usually recommend headphones over speakers as the low frequency sounds tend to have a lot of competition in the natural environment.

Just my 2cents

JP

The hearing aids that I have, as well as others have the ability to turn off the microphone to magnify or clarify the outside sound and still transmit the Bluetooth signal from the detector to the hearing aids. I assume this is not the case for all hearing aids. Mine work very well in locations like the desert if the wind is blowing or there are other outside sounds I don't want to hear I just turn off the microphone and I still have the threshold and any target sounds coming directly to me.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

The key to detecting with hearing loss is to be able to ‘hear’ the threshold pitch, if you can hear that in all conditions your fine.

Once again JP you have nailed it. I forgot to mention that nowadays I rarely wear my hearing aids when detecting because, as you mentioned, I want to hear only the threshold, not all the other attendant sounds around me.

But, if I do choose to wear them, they work well. It's just a different experience so to speak.

• 1 month later...

The steelPHASE O1 will help......

I just tried it and yes you can change the tone-pitch of the threshold and the XPG 4500 output signal is very noticeable louder and real clear-smooth threshold using headphones and external speakers.......and I can say it works because I am going deaf myself......

MVIMG_20200204_141036-01.jpeg