A Reasonable Beach Hunt

mn90403

Good finds without your headphones, wish you better luck next time.

My 800 is mad at me right now because I won't take her out when there is 7 inches of snow on the ground.

• Haha 1

I did have the headphones tonight.  I added that by way of edit.

Congrats on that gold ring Mitchel !!!

I live an hour away from the ocean and 1/2 hour from the mountains where the gold is.... and I've never hunted either.

Since day 1, I've only hunted parks & lots and permissions here and there. I dug a couple of nice gold jewelry pieces but would I have a much larger gold collection if I would have spent some time at the ocean? 

Just way too many MD opportunities out here, not to mention the great weather. 

• Like 2

Mitchel, it sounds like fun (once you had your headphones), and you really have developed what looks like a great beach hunting technique. I too have been down to "our beaches" although for much shorter periods of time and after only using the 7000 over the last few months, I was blown away by how sensitive the 800 is at the beach. 

Continued good luck, maybe I'll run into you one of these days.

• Thanks 1

Here this time of the year can be a bit more tricky.    We have really large tide swings... and because of the extreme low tides we can get a lot more high wave days.   That tends to pull more off the beach.... and just kind of rolls targets consolidating them even more in low areas.    You have to find those areas..... often a concentration of iron is your fist indication.  YOu can do a lot of coil swinging this time of the year with NADA.   Id call that one nice day of hunting.

• Like 1

The night after I found the targets above I found a cheap ring and this necklace.  It is a 32" .925 small link chain made by Thomas Sabo.  I looked up the skulls and they appear to be from that company also.  They were colored silver, gold and copper with most of the 'copper' sloughing off.  I think they are made of silver also but I'll have to have them shot with and XRF to make sure.  The total weight is 20g!

IMG_20191222_142004.thumb.jpg.5570574788d08c78ca382be2d707393c.jpg

• Like 3

Some pretty good finds Mitchel.  You must be a Dig all targets, kind of guy, or is it just the style for the site you encounter that day?

The night of that hunt I dug it all and displayed it all for purposes of the posting.  There are clues within the trash that have been grouped together because of the wave action.  I slow down when I find those targets because the heavier rings have been moved by those waves also.

We can't hunt the way you do in Mexico around here.  There are times down in San Diego you can go out to where coins and rings have been lost but you have to wait for them to be moved around up here.

• Like 1