TDI Beachhunter Versus TDI SL

Yes EarnestRooster, when it comes to minimising ground noise and maintaining smooth operation there is only one rule. Whatever works... In theory 10 is optimal, but by advancing it a bit to 12 etc.. and reducing ground noise then why not?  In my case as long as I can keep hitting that one grain ingot then I know I have all the sensitivity I need on small targets. We can run the machines 'hot' and pick up ground noise etc, makes for hard work trying to distinguish targets from background noise. Set it up to run quiet and enjoy a smooth and stable threshold, less tiring and you will more easily pick up faint targets. 

The smaller the coil then the less ground noise you will pick up. Also better sensitivity on smaller targets. So that 7.5 DF should be mounted on the detector and all it's capabilities fully investigated. A choice in coils is always a good thing. Making for a more flexible set up. Don't forget the conductivity switch. I run mine in ALL and LOW when prospecting. LOW conductivity setting will settle it down on hot ground, but generally stay in ALL depending on circumstances. A fun machine with many choices. As you gain experience your technique will develop and you will enjoy it even more.

Again all the best,

Karelian

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks Karelian. I took the 7.5 DF out for a quick go. It seemed more stable than the new high q coil. Though that was to be expected with the size I guess.

If you are up in Bendigo and want to catch up, Let me know. Given your experience it will be good to know what you think of the coil.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Fellow Detectors,

RE: Whites TDI Beach Hunter

I fried my TDI BH when the water proof casing leaked (my fault). I've tried to getting the circuit board repaired but it isn't looking good. I'm am now looking for a used TDI BH but they are hard to find or expensive. I like the BH because I primarily beach and surf hunt so, I was wondering if I could purchase a "used" non-waterproof TDI SL (less expensive) and swap it out for the fried circuit board?

Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the leak.  If you are going to swap out the PCB — get the mods done while it is out you won’t regret it.  As well as battery upgrade.  Just remember to turn gain down when in water yes it will go deeper.  You do not want to dig a deep hole while getting hit with a wave.  Oh I know.

You could always add a hi/low switch on your BH since it is the same PCB.

• Like 1