Amplifier & Speaker On The Cheap? Updated

Just ordered these:

41Wr12UoD7L._AC_SY400_.jpg.c51a53fa146c69f6104e50e6d920eda2.jpg

and paired with one of these portable chargers (for example):0084185611215_A.jpeg.f2231a86c1c9752a854edcdabf2a8ac7.jpeg:

am wondering if it will work prospecting in the US Southwest desert.  (If not it won't be the first time I've wasted $10, even this month.)  I'll report back when they arrive, but given it's Christmas rush for shippers it may not be until after Christmas.

Here's a link to a Google Search which shows several places to buy the above speakers.  And just one choice of the USB charger/power-pack of many on the market.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Just ordered these:

41Wr12UoD7L._AC_SY400_.jpg.c51a53fa146c69f6104e50e6d920eda2.jpg

and paired with one of these portable chargers (for example):0084185611215_A.jpeg.f2231a86c1c9752a854edcdabf2a8ac7.jpeg:

am wondering if it will work prospecting in the US Southwest desert. 

I would think your best bet would be to use a metal detector, instead.  :laugh:

Seriously, though, are you asking whether they would make for a suitable alternative to using headphones with your detector?   What detector do you plan on marrying them up with?  Seems like a little too much claptrap to have dangling around while swinging a coil.  Apologies if I am misinterpreting your intended usage.

If you are looking for an amplified speaker for detecting check out speakers used for amplifying portable radios. But it would be hard to match the price you paid for those.  What is key is if the frequency response will adequately amplify the narrow audio frequency spectrum of whatever detector you are using without being too bass heavy or tinny.

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Radio Shack had a  9volt amp, with volume control that many used in the early PI days...coupled with the first coiltek enhancer they made great music together...I doubt you could get either one now...

fred

Yes I still got a couple of those Radio Shack amplified speakers kicking around. Used them on the GP series to good effect. Great for training a small group of people as they went really loud without distorting. The 1/8" inputs were a pain though, and I ended up running a curly cable through the housing and soldering directly onto the board. Never missed a beat after that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Come on Simon, I thought you would have jumped at this one.

When people ask me to help them with modern tech I tell them "ask someone who really knows -- don't you have grandkids?"  I think Simon is the closest thing we have on this forum to a grandkid.  😜

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This may have been an easier option though for your situation and likely cheaper if you can find it locally.

$10 w/free shipping on US Ebay.

If you have some of those, do you mind measuring and posting the weight and linear X 3 dimensions?  I'll do the same when my flyer shows up.  50 hrs on normal batteries is probably going to be better in most ways (less weight and longer field life) than my 'solution'.

It would probably work fine, if you can remove the base stands.  Then I would get suspender clamps and secure them to the back of the speakers.  Then you can clamp them to your suspenders or back pack and they will not be flopping around.

Doc

• Like 2

This is my backup power for my 800, and cell phone in the field! 20,000 mah! Got it at Sam's Club! 2 usb outputs!20191205_125446.thumb.jpg.e577c54d14aa72fb6a0e70de3b938b3a.jpg

Simon, 

I didn't know that you were a fashionista!🤣 

We will have to get JW to give you a fully color coordinated, or best dressed detectorist award!🏆

Make sure your shovel matches too!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1