GB_Amateur

Amplifier & Speaker On The Cheap? Updated

Just ordered these:

41Wr12UoD7L._AC_SY400_.jpg.c51a53fa146c69f6104e50e6d920eda2.jpg

and paired with one of these portable chargers (for example):0084185611215_A.jpeg.f2231a86c1c9752a854edcdabf2a8ac7.jpeg:

am wondering if it will work prospecting in the US Southwest desert.  (If not it won't be the first time I've wasted $10, even this month.)  I'll report back when they arrive, but given it's Christmas rush for shippers it may not be until after Christmas.

Here's a link to a Google Search which shows several places to buy the above speakers.  And just one choice of the USB charger/power-pack of many on the market.

Radio Shack had a  9volt amp, with volume control that many used in the early PI days...coupled with the first coiltek enhancer they made great music together...I doubt you could get either one now...

fred

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Just ordered these:

41Wr12UoD7L._AC_SY400_.jpg.c51a53fa146c69f6104e50e6d920eda2.jpg

and paired with one of these portable chargers (for example):0084185611215_A.jpeg.f2231a86c1c9752a854edcdabf2a8ac7.jpeg:

am wondering if it will work prospecting in the US Southwest desert. 

I would think your best bet would be to use a metal detector, instead.  :laugh:

Seriously, though, are you asking whether they would make for a suitable alternative to using headphones with your detector?   What detector do you plan on marrying them up with?  Seems like a little too much claptrap to have dangling around while swinging a coil.  Apologies if I am misinterpreting your intended usage.

If you are looking for an amplified speaker for detecting check out speakers used for amplifying portable radios. But it would be hard to match the price you paid for those.  What is key is if the frequency response will adequately amplify the narrow audio frequency spectrum of whatever detector you are using without being too bass heavy or tinny.

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Radio Shack had a  9volt amp, with volume control that many used in the early PI days...coupled with the first coiltek enhancer they made great music together...I doubt you could get either one now...

fred

Yes I still got a couple of those Radio Shack amplified speakers kicking around. Used them on the GP series to good effect. Great for training a small group of people as they went really loud without distorting. The 1/8" inputs were a pain though, and I ended up running a curly cable through the housing and soldering directly onto the board. Never missed a beat after that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Come on Simon, I thought you would have jumped at this one.:laugh:

JW 🤠

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Come on Simon, I thought you would have jumped at this one.

When people ask me to help them with modern tech I tell them "ask someone who really knows -- don't you have grandkids?"  I think Simon is the closest thing we have on this forum to a grandkid.  😜

• Haha 4

I've messed a lot with portable little speakers for my detectors as I hate headphones.  This may have been an easier option though for your situation and likely cheaper if you can find it locally.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Nokia-Mini-Speaker-MD-11-Black/322789614366?epid=28033365398&hash=item4b27c2a31e:g:074AAOSwFdpbPGf7

They're very loud with a good built in amplifier, clear sound, just take normal batteries and last about 50 hours off them and small enough to mount whereever you feel like it.

Believe me when I say they're loud 🙂 Loud enough to annoy JW off in the distance! 

s-l500.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This may have been an easier option though for your situation and likely cheaper if you can find it locally.

$10 w/free shipping on US Ebay.

If you have some of those, do you mind measuring and posting the weight and linear X 3 dimensions?  I'll do the same when my flyer shows up.  50 hrs on normal batteries is probably going to be better in most ways (less weight and longer field life) than my 'solution'.

It would probably work fine, if you can remove the base stands.  Then I would get suspender clamps and secure them to the back of the speakers.  Then you can clamp them to your suspenders or back pack and they will not be flopping around.

Doc

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By canoe
      Still have not bought the 800 but I am close. A question--it appears to me from the pictures I have seen that the so called wireless headphones plug into a little box  (receiver?) that you hang on your belt.  Is that the case?  If so I do not call that wireless.
      I think one would be better off with a low latency transmitter plugged into the audio output and velcroed to the machine that is paired to a set of Bluetooth headphones for a truly wireless set up.
      Anyway, for those of you that own the 800 what is the deal with the little box?
      Thanks
      PS 
      Upon reflection, maybe the cord, that is shown in the pictures, next to the little box is to recharge it?

• By Nuke em
      Last year I bought 2 new pairs of Detector Pro Gray Ghost NDT from my local dealer and early this year 1 more pair . I buy them like that to keep me ahead in case they stop making them with all the new machines coming out with their own phones. 
      When I tried 1 early last Month I found that the tones had changed . In the past I have praised these headphones as being brilliant for all Minelab machines , being able to simulate the exact tones the machines make without headphones.
      When I discovered this I have now decided to take them back to the shop and in the mean time I bought 2 pairs of Nugget Buster NDT . When they came I checked them and to my horror they have the same dumbed down muffled speakers too. 1 of the sets were faulty anyway so I sent them both back. 
      Maybe Detector Pro doesn't understand the issues with Minelab machines and their tones / sounds . But if you have a detector that has fluty tones and you have no choice but to buy bass toned headphones that sound nothing like the tones on the machines speaker then whats the point having that machine ?
      Garrett I feel makes good headphones that suit their machines . 
      XP make great headphones (not WS5 ) that suit their machines.
      I am sure other makers put in headphones that go well with their machines.
      Minelab are renowned for making great sounding machines then totally letting them and themselves down with bass toned headphones that for many of us have trouble hearing the targets if low Bass toned .
      I used sound to pick out targets and only look at the numbers if not sure . With the newer Gray Ghosts / Nugget Busters I am stuck and always having to check target numbers . When doing beaches that are trashy to the hilt it is important that we are given the best headphones that simulate the exact tones the machine makes . Anything else is cheap rubbish .
      We saw that with the Koss phones on the Explorer's and ET and CTX , we have seen it with the cheap but high priced with Minelab Logo headphones on the Nox . When using my last remaining higher toned Gray Ghost NDT phones I get the targets nice and sharp. The newer types are like listening through a damned pillow. 
      If Minelab or Detector Pro etc are worried about Health & Safety and damaging hearing of people then put volume controls on them , which I will add Detector Pro does.
      All other Detector Pro headphones that I have checked are low toned except maybe ? as I the past the Black Widows . At least I hope they are the same as they used to be .
      The headphones issue is one of the reasons I have gone to Garrett for my next machine. If Minelab let the side down again I will not buy a Minelab in future . The right Headphones are vital pieces of kit and if you are going to have a machine that has fluty or whistle tones then the Headphones that come with them MUST have the same tones . It can affect a detectorist opinion of a machine and his / her ability to use or understand and hear deep targets . 
      Wake up Minelab on this important issue . STOP giving us rubbish Headphones that don't do the job . Your machines are great most of the time . Your Headphones or copies of others are just plain pants.
      I am not getting at Detector Pro or at Minelab though it sounds it . Detector Pro doesn't know any better I think . But Minelab damned well should .
      Rant over , for now !

• By Rick
      Im adding Bluetooth to my E-trac  I found these earbuds.  I want some that had volume control
      https://avantree.com/dual-driver-bluetooth-earbuds-avantree-as20l
      What do you think?  And Yes I picked out the this TX
      https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt-ba07-bluetooth-transmitter-receiver
    • By canoe
      Since I am new here, I wanted my first post(other that the meet and greet post) to hopefully be a contribution and perhaps help a few folks.
      One of the most annoying things when using a corded set of headphones is catching the cord on brush and whatever else it might be attracted to. Well, I recently discovered there was such a thing as wireless headphones but could not find any that I thought I would be satisfied with, so with some research, this is what I came up with.
      I bought a Taotronics blue tooth transmitter $29.95, a set of Cowen noise canceling low latency blue tooth headphones $59.99 and a Moborest 1/4" male to 1/8" female stereo adapter $9.98(2 to a pkg). Plugged adapter into my MXT, plugged transmitter into adapter, turned everything on including MXT, followed simple directions for pairing trans. to headphones and low and behold I now have wireless headphones for my detector.
      I put a small square of sticky back velcro on the transmitter(which is very small) and the another on the side of the machine and just stuck them together, to hold the trans. in place. The trans. can always be unplugged and remover if warranted.
      I found everything on Amazon.
      This may be old knowledge to some but I maybe there are a few folks this info. will help.
      Anyway, glad to be here and hope this will help someone.
      Su Amigo, Canoe

• By Jin
      Plug in a booster/headphones into the WM12 (Gpz7000) or plug it directly into the 7000??
      Obviously, wire-free would be more convenient but would the signal be clearer/stronger going hardwired?
      (I'm not concerned about the minute bit of lag when using a wireless system)
      Thought i would ask before testing this on my next trip.
    • By shockwave2020
      Hopefully someone can help me. I have an Equinox 600 that I can pair my earbuds to but I hear no sound. The earbuds are paired as Bluetooth + as indicated on the machine. I have tried other earbuds with the same problem. I have reset the machine multiple times. I am using Soundpeats Q12HD earbuds. I am at a loss. Thanks