Orx Gold Program Secrets

Steve Herschbach

Gary did a video on the DPR 600 which also runs the Gold Program. Follow this video for tuning instructions and listening for the Zip-Zip sound is how you do it. It's deeper than other programs but you still dig some deep iron. Not talking about nugget hunting-- coins. relics, etc.  I learned it by working with it about an hour every time I go out (Deus Gold Field Program). It can be overwhelming so best to learn in an area with not too much trash and starting out don't dig too many deep targets. Also you can cross check them with another program and you will see the extra depth of the Gold Program as many targets will not be detectable with the other programs. So you have to gamble with these or just leave them if you are in a private yard, etc.. 

• Like 1

There are some subtle differences and improvements that XP has made with the Gold Field program as implemented on ORX vs. Deus including switchable iron volume which does not exist on the Deus implementation of Gold Field plus I like the Orx pop up large font TID display and iron probability meter.  Also, the ground grab implementation on the Orx is a little more straight forward on Orx.  ORX lacks ground balance tracking, however.  Overall, I am more and more impressed with ORX and Gary Blackwell's videos have unlocked some neat ORX secrets such as how to set up Gold Field properly for effective wet salt sand beach hunting that I can't wait to try out.

One thing that Gary recommends in his field hunting skill video is cranking Iron Audio Reject (IAR) setting to the maximum setting of 5.  That setting works well in mild ground, but is not effective in mineralized ground as it tends to chop up all signals due to the ferrous content of the mineralized magnetite in the soil.  So just as he recommended on a wet salt sand ORX video at a beach that had a good deal of black sand mineralization, he set the IAR to 0.

• Like 3

I've been running IAR at "2" or "3" and sometimes "0" when going for absolute depth. i think it is to your advantage to use some IAR because it can break up some of the iron stuff and make it noticeable rather than relying totally on the Zip-Zip sound. But depends on how much trash you are wading through and whether or not you can use a shovel to dig with. With a shovel you can dig more iffy and deep targets which can be a PITA with a hand trowel. Gary has some other videos on his youtube channel that discuss the Gold Program. 

If you want any form of audible iron discrimination and identification on the Deus in Goldfield, and you need some help with hot rocks and ground mineralization, you have to use a little IAR for prospecting. 5 is for super mild ground for sure and would work with relics but for small gold I would back it down. Like Contraption, I usually have my Deus Lite IAR set at 2 or 3. On the ORX Gold Modes you have Iron Volume and IAR for iron identification and hot rocks help just as Chase said and it turns the ORX into a 2 tone gold prospecting detector if both iron volume and IAR are turned on. From experience in the gold fields, this creates a big difference between the Deus and ORX.

Jeff

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Contraption said:

I've been running IAR at "2" or "3" and sometimes "0" when going for absolute depth. i think it is to your advantage to use some IAR because it can break up some of the iron stuff and make it noticeable rather than relying totally on the Zip-Zip sound.

With iron volume on the ORX (not present on the Deus in gold field mode) it is just as noticeable without having to look at the screen, but IAR does have its advantages in milder soils.  I suspect that ORX Iron volume is activated by the same algorithm that is used to ID ferrous and apply IAR, so IAR can be somewhat redundant on the ORX but still useful to reduce audio fatigue, I suppose.

(Ha, Jeff you beat me to it.  Lol).

• Like 1

I've only been able to test the gold modes with the Orx in the house as I'm snowed in. I like how good it hits gold jewelry. IAR at 2 discs out my old rusty nails. That's where I'll be at. I will be using it a lot in lakes in northern Michigan. 

Can't wait to get out in the spring. It also seems to run smooth with high sensitivity. I give an edge to the Deep mode on coins but I think the Gold modes will be what I will use the most.

• 1 month later...