Aussie Silvers - Lots Of Them!

I know about the small country towns myself, as I live in one of those.

In my back yard I have found coins from the 1800's and plenty of silver .

There are several old towns that I really want to get permission to hunt at, they actually moved the town 2.5 miles down the road to be closer to the railroad. They left the old town buildings until they fell down and you can still see some of the old streets.

When warm weather comes back and the snow is gone I will be out there again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Awesome hunt Goldpick, and good advice there for people, hit those country towns! Nobody else has 🙂

A really good haul, one that's made me jealous!

You have done pretty damned good yourself, very lucky to have such productive ground literally in your back yard.  This spot was a couple hundred kilometre round trip from home, so dodging Kangaroos and Wombats was part of the excitement.  I managed to collect a Kangaroo on the way home from the first outing, smashed my front grill though the bullbar did its job thankfully.

• Like 1

I can see you found a sterling and 50% silver "Two Shilling" bit.

The Australian two shilling coin, also known as the florin or "two bob bit", was issued from 1910 until 1966. It was worth one tenth of a pound, or twenty-four old pence. It should not be confused with the british medieval gold florin, which was nominally worth six shillings.

2 bobs are rarely lost as they could buy a lot back then. The last year they were made I could get 5 lt of petrol with one of them. You had a very good day, keep it up. I guess I am lucky that you live in South Australia.😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

I can see you found a sterling and 50% silver "Two Shilling" bit.

The Australian two shilling coin, also known as the florin or "two bob bit", was issued from 1910 until 1966. It was worth one tenth of a pound, or twenty-four old pence. It should not be confused with the british medieval gold florin, which was nominally worth six shillings.

2 bobs are rarely lost as they could buy a lot back then. The last year they were made I could get 5 lt of petrol with one of them. You had a very good day, keep it up. I guess I am lucky that you live in South Australia.😀

It was actually in Victoria, I live just over the border!😎 Getting very hard to find the older sterling Florins these day, hence why it is always memorable to see one unearthed - actually 2 so far from this site.  Both hunts were each about 6 -7 hours long, so was happy to be swinging such a lightweight detector for the duration - the legs were a different story.😟

• Like 1

The condition on many of those silver coins (e.g. that 1879 sixpence) is remarkable.  Great finds (the site and the coins)!

• Like 3

Wow Goldpick, 

Your giving Simon a "run for his money"!!   I just hit a few country town in Georgia, In the US! And did not get anything near like what you found! I guess everyone there is too busy detecting for gold, to bother with coins!  Unlike here, where coins, and relics are the main targets! 

Keep up the awesome finds!,👍👍

• Like 3

On 12/19/2019 at 2:10 AM, Goldpick said:

You have done pretty damned good yourself, very lucky to have such productive ground literally in your back yard.  This spot was a couple hundred kilometre round trip from home, so dodging Kangaroos and Wombats was part of the excitement.  I managed to collect a Kangaroo on the way home from the first outing, smashed my front grill though the bullbar did its job thankfully.

You guys should just rename that 'bullbar' to a 'roobar' and sell the heck out of them for protection!