Pirate, Looter, Scavenger Or Just Treasure Hunter

The pirate thing comes from people looking for pirate treasure, not from being pirates. But it seems to have morphed into something other than that for some people.

They used to call it coin shooting and nugget shooting. I never was fond of those terms and have never used them. Why did anyone ever decide to go “shoot” for coins? Even treasure hunter has negative connotations and for archeologists it is synonymous with looter.

I am none of the above. I am a detectorist and gold prospector.

• Like 8

To many folks are misinformed, not thinking for themselves, not just about detecting but many things in life, too bad, an open mind is what everyone needs to strive for. metal

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fredmason said:

Probably because many detectorists and gold prospectors evolved from hunting and shooting...at least I did!

just the thought of finding stuff offends many people, why?
I haven’t a clue

fred

Me too. But we went moose hunting or duck hunting or caribou hunting. I guess that’s why I go nugget hunting. We never went moose shooting. So nugget shooting still sounds odd to me.

• Like 4

I would personally describe myself as a semi skilled 'Metal Recycling Operative' 🤣 

• Like 5

On 12/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, Ridge Runner said:

If one day you see this old fart that looks like most of the life is gone out of him it’s just me detecting.

One day?  Aren't you famous from this?

• Like 2