First One In The Wild - Fisher Impulse AQ

Rick,

I'm in Carlsbad and can offer free room and board for your beach testing - of course I will dig those 18" holes for you!

Have some black sand layers to check out here>

black sand.jpg

i will buy 1 or 2 ,just to see what 10000s of hard work translate into stability depth and discrimination.I love my g5c and will probably be buried with it,but i want an Impulse to check the UK beaches.......

RR

I assume it comes without headphones? and will be a 1/4" jack?  GaryC/Oregon Coast

57 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

and will be a 1/4" jack

Not if it's waterproof. Rumor was getting the headphones that come with it right was part of the delay. So there is another good question... what are they like?

The headphone and power connections are on the battery, headphones left, power right....

fisher-impulse-aq-headphones-power.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ headphone and power connections

17 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

The “Terra” is the same basic PI platform but highly optimized for prospecting and nugget hunting. It will be along a bit later.

I have dubbed it the Fisher Impulse AU but have not bothered to trademark it so Fisher may use with my permission. :smile:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Not if it's waterproof. Rumor was getting the headphones that come with it right was part of the delay. So there is another good question... what are they like?

The headphone and power connections are on the battery, headphones left, power right....

fisher-impulse-aq-headphones-power.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ headphone and power connections

I see, so power gets routed from the battery power output up the stem into the control head and then into the coil via the head mounted coil connector as highlighted below.

Screenshot_20191221-150524_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, not unlike what Minelab does with the GPX series.... battery plugs into detector and headphones plug into battery. This pass-through arrangement reduces the connectors at the control box to two, the power/headphones and the coil.

It also means aftermarket rods won’t be a trivial task for those thinking such things.

• Like 2

Rick,

In a past post you mentioned coils, as in a primary  and an optional coil.  Do you know yet about the optional coil(s) size?  I am assuming that the primary is a 12 inch.  Fisher does seem to love a 5 inch hockey puck as we have seen for past 30 years on various models.  They wouldn't go that small would they?  

Asking for a friend,

Joe

Sorry, I have no solid info on the coils except that there seem to be more than one, perhaps several. One of Alexandre’s key skills is building high performance PI coils - he has done this for a number of “legacy” PI detectors.

Only problem is that. Hand built coil on an engineers test bench can’t always easily be transformed into a high performance, low failure rate mass produced coil in a factory.

• Like 2