First One In The Wild - Fisher Impulse AQ

So, what I am reading is, that this is strictly a Gold Hunting Machine!  Silver items (or any other coin makeup) will be missed on the beach at any level.  A machine dedicated for finding gold items only.  I'm only asking about the beach dedicated one that is presently being produced.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

The discrimination function of the AQ works by comparing two samples of the return signal at different points in time from the cut off of the pulse. Targets which are present in the first sample but gone in the second are (in the iron ID modes only) marked as “high conductors”. MInd you, there is more than the type of metal, but also its mass, shape etc. involved. It is quite different from target ID in a VLF system based on phase shift of the returned signal.

Now if you haven’t dozed off reading all of that...the short answer is that silver coins in the iron ID mode would likely be ID’s along with iron.

But there is an all metal mode and silver hits just fine there (along with nails, bolts, etc.)

The skill of using this detector will be in adapting its modes to the targets and ground environment you are detecting in.

• Like 6

Hi Rick!

Thanks for all that info..Looking forward for the unboxing video.Just wonder where are you going to put the video for us to watch?

Can you give us some words about the balance of the machine, because it has the s-shape shaft which is not so good as everybody knows compare to straight shaft. I have some beaches where i live that has a lot of big iron pieces scattered all over in the water and i know it masks some gold rings definitely. I have tried the Equinox to work between irons to find gold but failed. I don't even dare to go near these areas with my PI machines. The question is if the AQ can pull out gold rings amongst these big iron chunks i have here?? Thanks

We will have to differ on our opinions about s shafts vs straight ones. I found the balance excellent on the prototypes I handled.

As far as your iron “chunks”. Detecting gold beneath iron depends on several factors includingthe size of the gold, it’s purity, the distance between them and the mass of the iron.

The video will probably go on my Vimeo site and them a link will be provided to view it.

• Like 3

Thanks for the All Metal explanation for silver coins Rick.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

On 12/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, cuniagau said:

In a past post you mentioned coils, as in a primary  and an optional coil.  Do you know yet about the optional coil(s) size? 

It has been mentioned that an 8” coil has been tested on the prospecting version of the Impulse. If so it would make sense for this coil to be available for the Impulse AQ. The stock coil on the Impulse AQ is a 12” round mono.

• Like 3

Fun on other forums....

After beating me up for being unworthy of receiving the “gift of the Magi” in the form of an AQ, a poster on another forum changed his tune. I answered his objections as best I could, then he asked if, since the AQ was now my property, I would sell it to a Fisher compeditor for a pile of loot.

This was my answer:

BB - you “interest me strangely.” To your question of encumbrances - Tim made it clear that as a legitimate purchaser, paid for with my own money - it was my property to dispose of or use as I wish. 

Actually Tim Mallory told me that they were offered many tens of thousands of $ to sell one to a serious treasure hunter if they would let him have it exclusively for X months. If you are concerned at the lack of details in the above sentence, I can only say that it ain’t BS, but it was a phone conversation and at 73 my memory isn’t a great as the “lousy” it once was. 

Now Tim, of course, turned them down. For the simple reason that they hope to make much more selling thousands of them per year (or maybe more) for years. 

Absent an actual offer from some benefactor for by my machine, I would have the same problem. As a dealer for the AQ and for the much bigger market represented by the follow on gold machine - not to mention the later relic machine all on the same platform, I stand to do better than any likely offer - and if it were a competitor who made the offer, I would refuse for the same reason that I refused endless offers of “sweetners” in my 19 years in Arabia in Contracts, Subcontracting and Purchasing - because I respect the trust others put in me - and the case of foreign agencies - the “fangs” of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - FCPA - not a road anyone wants to go down.

Rick Kempf 
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

• Like 4