Ih Penny And 3 Cent Trime

Nice finds kac.  Just looked at one of those III cent pieces I have close by.   It is 1851.  Have another that I think is 1861 Probably brought from your area during the gold rush.

Really great finds Kac and I hope you have the same luck again.

How deep was the snow that you were in, because I have about 5 inches still on the ground.

Once that is gone I hope to get back out this year, I really want to make sure my update is working.

Good possibility, lot of old coins in my parts but takes some persistence to slug along and find them. Snow only a couple inches deep in the woods, most the coins in the pine forests here are less than 6" down. We have a lot of iron nails so I run my detectors so tone breaks on iron. The ATP that would be 32-33 with iron audio off. Give you a nice quiet search. I have been looking for the old tree shillings out here but think they will be close to the clay line. Fortunately those are silver too so they should be in fairly good shape.

I have seen pics of the 3 cent pieces but never realized how small and thin they are, it actually rang up in the high aluminum range. Oddly that IH range up like a dime usually those ring in low. Think some are bronze others copper? All honesty the key was my cool find for the day until I realized the other was a coin when I washed it up.

• Like 1

Went back out today in the same area and snagged these. Wheatie is actually in good shape, just has some patina still on it. I may just keep it as is since it is a 1916, Other is a very worn seated dime. I guess at one time the 1916 was in demand.

IMG_0876.jpg

• Like 2

More great finds for you kac!  Sounds like you have a site that doesn't yield easily, but will keep on giving as long as you have access.  I've never found a silver 3 cent piece, nor even a (cupro-)nickel 3 cent piece.  I do have both in my test pile.  It is amazing how tiny the trime is.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:24 PM, kac said:

Oddly that IH range up like a dime usually those ring in low. Think some are bronze others copper?

The first six (1859-1864) years they were cupro-nickel (25-75), but starting in 1864 (note:  similar to 1982 where two compositions of Lincolns were minted, the same happened in 1864) the composition changed to 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc.  If copper and tin are present (regardless of zinc or not), the technical term is 'bronze'.  If no tin but some zinc then 'brass'.  So, yes, these are bronze.

A couple interesting things about 1864-1982 cents:

1) I've never found how much of each -- tin and zinc -- were present.  I suppose it may have varied.  But most pre-1982 Lincolns which contain copper are reported with the same composition as the post-1864 Indian Heads with the possible exception of the amount of tin and zinc.  So why the different TID?

2) As you mention, usually IH's have a target ID at the high end of the Zincoln range rather than with recent bronze Lincolns, which are up with clad and silver dimes.  I suspect that is because of the green scale they build up with decades in the ground.  I've found similar green Lincolns with TID's down there.  To confirm my hypothesis I need to air test an IH that hasn't come out of the ground.  I just haven't done that yet.  Anyone else?

• Like 1

I should do a quickie air test on what I have with and without patina. You could be right if I am following correct that if copper has left a halo in the ground that could be what is altering the numbers. I am having good success with running the iron audio so I can hear the iron as a break tone rather than trimming it out completely. Helps a ton on steel bottle caps with dd coils as even though they ring high I can tell what they are as the iron break gives them a rough sound.

Amazes me how much you know on coins, becoming our expert here on the forums.

Have a Great Holiday!